Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have signed up to do an open track/road course event in a couple of weeks and want to see how the Cobra will handle such an event.

I was wondering if anyone else had run their Cobra at a similar event and how it went?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on how to best prepare the car for a road racing event, I would appreciate hearing your ideas/suggestions.

Thanks
Brett

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've also signed up for roadcourse racing in the '03 Cobra. Any tips shared would be much appreciated. (I've never tried roadcourse racing before!)

Thanks in advance,
:confused:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did the SVTOA event here in Indy. 2.5 mile 15 turn road course. 130 straightaway speeds. GREAT TIME! My suggestions:

1. start out slow and build up your confidence and control.
2. Start with TC on the first time out.
3. Turn off TC and remeber this thing can be steered with the Throttle.
4. LISTEN to the instructors. I had good ones, and their advice was very helpful.
5. Gradual motions. Smooth is fast. It is not sprint car school.
6. Check your tire pressure. Be comfortable, wear as much safety gear as you can. (helmet obviously)
7. Have fun.

Our first Day was in Rain so we had to be smooth. One guy in a Lightning did a tank slapper and gave his rear qtr panel a stripe.
The next day a vert like mine dropped two tires off a high speed corner, over corrected and kissed the wall. YIKES> Still had the paper plate on it. I had a blast. What did i have to show at the end. A BIG SMILE, more confidence, more love and appreciaton for this car. AND REALLY dirty wheels. They looked black.

HAVE A GREAT TIME

·
Registered
38 Posts
1) Use 32 psi
2) Make sure your brake fluid is fresh - if in doubt, bleed it.
3) Do all your braking before you enter a turn
4) Clip your apexes cleanly
5) Get on the throttle early out of turns, but not enough to break the tail loose
6) Understand your limitations - start slow and build up
7) Do not spin - instructors hate that
8) Listen to your instructors - better yet, understand them
9) Leave your ego at the door
10) Learn from your mistakes
11) Smoothness is king - Jimmy Clark and Jimmy Stewart were great drivers in part because of their smoothness - they got the best ouyt of their cars while not breaking them - that helps finish races
12) Do a quick spot check of all your car's fluids, look for obvious oversights like loose caps on oil, power steering, etc.
13) Have fun!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good list.

I'll add a couple:

Take an extra set of brake pads with you. They wear out quick!

Research the rules..., i.e. long sleve shirts, health records, SA helmet, etc.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I love to open track:) I dont know how I got side tracked with drag racing...OT is the most fun you can have in a car and still have clothes on....hehe....

I see alot of very good advice in this thread and you are following the best advice by taking training....education is one the best mods you can do...

you can have alot of fun with the car set up the way it is now but one thing you will want to do is have a set of braided ss steel brakelines installed...one of the most common failures in OT is the rubber brakelines rupturing....the fluid boils very easily under the punishing conditions..

have fun and be safe

Linn

·
Registered
7 Posts
A couple of things that I recommend as well as the great advice given already is:

SS Brake Lines
Hawk Pads
Fresh Fluid

Replace the Antifreeze with water. If your really runnnin hard your going to boil out the overflow and dump antifreeze on the track. This makes for a very slippery track.

MM & FF did an article a while back that went over this subject in detail. There were quite a few helpful hints in it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. I'm looking forward to having a lot of fun with the cobra on the track!

:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts