Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the dealer called after I took in the Cobra for problems with the clutch disengaging casuing problems shifting. Trans would grind occasionally when hot. Service advisor calls and says the clutch plate is worn out, and the pressure plate and TOB are all within spec, so no warranty (27K miles).

He tells me Ford will only replace a clutch "kit", consisting of clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and flywheel, $600.00. He suggests a Spec II clutch, as that is what he has in his '99 Cobra. I know a few others with a Spec II, so I ordered one and had it shipped to the dealer. Should have it back in a couple of days.

Any feedback on the Spec II here? I curious to know what your experience has been with this clutch kit, especially the composite TOB.

John

·
Registered
309 Posts
Before going the SPEC route, you might want to check the measurements on the hub of the spec clutch. The T56 input shaft has a measurement of 1 1/16in. and the hub measurement on the spec clutch I believe is 1 1/8in.

After speaking with Tremec and Rockland Gear, they both believe that the input shaft is not the sole fault for the failures. Their thought was that the incorrect hub measurement creates extra slack on the input, causing excessive stress on the splines.

While a 1/16in. doesn't appear to be much, when dealing with shafts and splines, it is a bunch. If I am not mistaken, of the failures in input shafts, they all had aftermarket clutches. One person I know, was using a solid hub clutch, which was part of it. But the others, I believe were using a SPEC clutch.

Just something to think about. Especially since SPEC has become a very popular clutch. Both Tremec and Rockland told me to make sure that whatever clutch we use, to make sure the hub is one with a 1 1/16in. diameter.

·
Registered
31 Posts
what mods you got in already sonic blur

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's stock for now, there are some mods being planned, but I want to surprize everybody at the strip first. If I can keep a clutch in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts