Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically, I am to the point of where I want to run my TT vert at the dragstrip more, so it is time for safety. Are there any "bolt in" kits for this car? I really have no idea about cages and what needs to be there to cert and what not. I wanna do something that will hack up the car as least as possible, and I also want something with swingouts for ease and comfort if you will. This car is hard enough to get into, and I am a fairly big guy. Who would you guys recommend going to? Do any of you have pictures? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I've got a custom one in mine but it seems you don't want that. Justin @ VMP Tuning was working on one last year and they installed the one in Senkak's car. I'm sure they will chime in. Pretty sure they made mandrels to copy what his was. Other than that it's Maximum Motorsports or Autopower (they make Maximum's or they used to).

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
We don't get much love. I did the 5 point (same as 6 point) and now I hope they let me run under like they do with the Coupe's with no bar. I didn't want a Jeep.

10.99 or 130 I'm pretty sure but can't remember. I'll be under it. You need more than me if you want to stay legal.

·
VMP Tuning
2,911 Posts
I helped TIG one up in Senkak/Rick's car, its pretty clean, when he gets his stuff together :) he'll put all the panels back on and you'll just see the top part. If I did it again I would cut into the chassis on the side so I could fit it behind the panels a little better.

·
Registered
681 Posts
http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/sportcompact/2008_SC_Rulebook.pdf
i dont have 2009 pdf rule book, here's '08
its clear on the vert. and 10.99 rule, but vert is not mentioned in the latter statement where 10.99 to 10.00 roll bar accepted in car with oem firewall and unaltered body,
so to me its seem should be able to run 10.00 in vert. with roll bar but not faster than 135.
are any of you guys having to run an engine diaper? i know e.t. bracket racing doesn't need, but looks as though all other classes gotta have.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I always thought it was 10.00 with stock floor pan and firewall......coupe or vert 135mph

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
That'd be cool if it was then I'm still legal. I wonder what that transfers over to in the 1/8th?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I helped TIG one up in Senkak/Rick's car, its pretty clean, when he gets his stuff together :) he'll put all the panels back on and you'll just see the top part. If I did it again I would cut into the chassis on the side so I could fit it behind the panels a little better.
Do you have any pictures?

·
2V powered
3,867 Posts
One would think after reading this below it is safe to say below 11.0 the vert has to be a 10-point.​
ROLL BAR​
Roll bar mandatory in all cars (including T-tops) running 11.00
to 11.49 (7.00 to 7.35 eighth-mile) and in convertibles running
11.00 to 13.49 (7.00 to 8.25 eighth-mile). See General​
Regulations 4:10, 10:6.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Rick,

nice Jeep.

You going to waterford lakes this weekend?

·
Registered
85 Posts
One of the better threads for me. Thanks guys I am also looking for ideas for a cage, so that I know what I can do when I get ready to put one in mine.

·
Registered
681 Posts
here's some more examples http://autoweldchassis.com/rbc.ivnuhttp://autoweldchassis.com/rcinstruct.ivnu
we've got the autopower mustang drag race bar for vert. which we modified to make nhra legal, added another set of rear braces following mm's design, then purchased pre-bent bars from autoweld, roof hoop, a pillar, and his forward brace which he swears by to really stiffen it up. waiting on my welder to return from arkansas to actually weld this thing to the car itself. this car hardly see's the street but the street is far more dangerous than the track. and i dont like being told at the drags to slow down or leave, i leave, who's actually going to drags to see how slow you can go?
verts. are dangerous in any event. i ended up with a 04 cobra vert. by default. was only car i could see buying if it was going to be ford and only cobra they had, 1, which i was told was in showroom for 1yr.
1st wifes fathers sons ejected from back seats in head on collision, both died, wasn't wearing seatbelts, witnessed a roll-over on road, vert. with top up, ended upside down and top and window colapsed completely, passenger died, driver was drunk and lived, cant imagine how? came up on an accident on highway, convertible mustang, all wearing seatbelts, top down, head-on collision at 65mph, drivers forehead impacted with top pointed corner of window frame, puntured her skull and she died in my bro's hands who was with me at the time, we were of the first to stop and assist. rest of passengers(3) were dead. found out this was a family of 4, all killed at the same time, drunk driver crossed center line and ............................
verts freak me out to say the least, i love mine and everytime it hits the road it ends up at 140mph at some point of the cruise. its crazy, but no can help. i owned an open jeep which i rolled over once, i had full roll cage and broke my windshield, some people came upon me on the road soon after and asked if i was ok, i told them to help me roll it back over and they thought i was nuts, five of us rolled it back over, i got in and took off,not a scratch on me, later on down the road got pulled over for no windshield, ticketed and then taken to jail, but thats another story.
do not take safety lightly !!!!!!!!
i have spent most my life on the road and have seen so much terrible accidents and blood and death. may this not happen to any of us

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Also the thing about custom is you can have the lower cross over behind the seats set as low as is legal. I'm 6'1" and with my stock seats I'm still almost comfortable driving. I've driven 2 hours one way to race and was perfectly fine. Mine was $700 or $800 (can't remember) installed but not painted. It's only a 5 point also because it's legal for the same as a 6 point and I don't need to give my wife another reason to not like that car.

And here's why I'm happy with it!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Maximum Motorsports makes a nice 6 point bolt in kit w/ swing outs, coupe and vert. I am in the middle of installing one of their kits in my coupe and am very happy with everything so far.

Chris

1 - 20 of 35 Posts