Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you folks running 11.99 or faster, what roll cages are you using? What cages do you recommend for a daily driver? How much weight will it add? Preference on shops or materials? Construction?

·
Registered
661 Posts
I custom install them here @ pjs , You will add 100lbs about .
they will pass tech , and are built to nhra specs.
Sorry I dont do mail order on these.
notro

·
Registered
481 Posts
What do you guys think of Kenny Browns setup? It seems pretty low cut on the sides to allow easy entry and it seems that you still might be able to have rear passengers...

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Don't think that's NHRA legal. The bars look way too low on the sides.

·
Registered
204 Posts
bar must pass from between the drivers shoulder and elbow. theres a few diff theorys on cages, if you want race go moly. It is NOT for the street...too brittle. also what are your ultimate goals? you may want to go with a bigger cage then you need now so you dont have to have it modified later when you go faster.

·
Registered
11 Posts
FlashSVT said:
Don't think that's NHRA legal. The bars look way too low on the sides.
True true. Some tracks might let you slide. But the one i go to always makes me sit in my car to see if the cage goes from my shoulder down.
I cheat and move the seat way back.

·
Registered
115 Posts
is it just me or do all the nhra legal roll cages dig into your shoulders though. i know its suppose to go from shoulders on down, but you end up having it dig into your arm. thats no fun for the street. are there options???

·
Registered
53 Posts
You need a bar for 11.99, not a cage.

From NHRA rulebook, (Bar photo attached at bottom.)

“When do I need a roll bar or roll cage, and what should it look like?

A roll bar is required in any convertible running 13.99 seconds or quicker in the quarter mile, and in other cars beginning at 11.99. The roll bar is accepted in vehicles running as quick as 10.00 second e.t., provided the stock firewall and floorboard is intact, other than for installation of wheel tubs. The rollbar must be constructed of minimum 1 ¾ inch o.d. x .118 inch wall mild steel tubing, or 1 ¾ x .083 chrome moly tubing, and must conform to the following diagram:
If the floor and/or firewall has been modified, then a full roll cage is required beginning at a 10.99 e.t. A full roll cage is required in any vehicle running 9.99 seconds or quicker, and any vehicle running 135 mph or faster (regardless of e.t.). The roll cage must be constructed of minimum 1 5/8 o.d.x .118 mild steel tubing, or 1 5/8 x .083 chrome moly tubing, and must conform to the following diagram:
The roll cage of any vehicle running 9.99 or quicker, or 135 mph or faster, must also be certified by NHRA every 3 years, and have a serialized sticker affixed prior to participation.”

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
i think what i am going to do is get a autopower 4pt road race bar, and have some custom removable swing outs added on to it. that way it would be legal when i went to the track by could be removed for around the town driving.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how do you guys like the ones with removable side bars?
Are they legal too? Thanks for all the replies so far, it has been really helpful.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
if the kb is made out of the same stuff that their strut tower braces are made of don't get it. not sturdy metal at all. its thin and hollow.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts