Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
inwell, I guess my French heritage shows itself as I'm backawards in my thinking. My aluminum block is marked RF-1L2e and I thought it was a Romeo block. However, there is a W stamped above the casting number so that would mean that it's a Windsor block. The heads are stamped RF-1l2E which would make them Romeo PI heads. The Windsor rods are free floating so that would mean I was in search of Romeo rods for press on pistons which I did find. I thought this block came out of a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer but the Service bulletins show the 4 bolt main caps as a Mustang 1999-2003. However, as far I klnow, none of the Mustangs 4.6's has a aluminum block with SOHC PI heads.
Anyway, this project is going to end up in a special 2000 Lincoln Towncar and am now approaching my last problem(s). I almost bet my current engine in the Lincoln is a Romeo and that would mean the front timing covers will not interchange. Anyone have a clue on what Windsor 4.6 timing cover I'm going to have to go with to make it as easy on me as possible. Lastly, anyone have a clue whether Mustang undersized pulleys (including harmonic balancer) is going to work on this application?

last basic question has to do with appropiate intake manifold gaskets to accompadate PI heads. As I asis, the PI heads are romeo not that that makes any difference. I just want to make sure I get the correct ap[plication. When I look up 2003 Mountainner, it shows a Felpro MS96281. When I look up a 2002 mUSTANG it shows a felpro mS 921213, AND WHEN i LOOK UP A 2001 mUSTANG (AGAIN WITH pi hEADS), IT SHOWS A ms92121. aNYONE HAVE A CLUE?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, maybe a little more info will show my mdilema and get me such much needed knowledable feedback. I had 2 timing covers both of which are from 1999/2000 Mustang era which do not fit due to the 1st bolt hold from the right of the Vof the timing cover being 2 far away to line up with the hole in the block. I do have a timing cover from a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer which lines up perfect with that 1st hole being about 3" away. Hopefully, this means something to someone out there for me to be able to get the correct timing cover.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
sounds like you have the WAP( windsor aluminum plant) block, that engine is still considered a romeo..... You might be able to use your front cover if the gasket seals to the block and heads, even if one of the bolts doesnt line up...front covers dont care what make engine but there are differances in the block bolt pattern, accessory mounts and belt routing through out the years..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thjank-you...that is exactly what I have...I was wondering why the torque pattern was the same as woindsor but the covers wouldn't line up. I think an earlier Romeo cover is my best bet just drill it out for 10mm where required.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay...last problem...ready to install PI mintake manifold on Romeo PI heads (1l2e) and am having a problem iwth the intake manifoild being too high to seal up to the heads(valley is too shallow or PI intake is too high)> Anyone had this problem before?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts