Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

?'s about poking & stroking

2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  Rick0636 
#1 ·
Hello all -

I've got a 01 Bullitt that lost some torque down low due to my cams
and backed off timing cause of the blower.

My question is this - when it comes time for me to get forged internals, would stroking it help me gain back some torque? Can I stroke it without any big machining headaches?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
dude, if i could go back and do it again, stroker motor with lots of silly stuff would be the only way to go. im getting tired of this blower stuff. ive had the same problems...less low end cause of the cams, but had to take out some timing up top cause of the blower...:banghead so now my cars just a :turd
whats more fun than torque? :king

#3 ·
Porting the heads will get you back some of the torque. I think? Hell, Im still waiting for the results of my P&P with cam job. I will gain some torque, but how much I dont know. And I will be stroking it next year some time. Forged internals, lower compression, makes a blower that much easier to install.

#4 ·
porting the heads might actually net you a loss of low end torque!

you run the risk of losing some low speed(rpm) charge velocity when you increase the size of the intake runner, which is what happens when you actually port the runner instead of smoothing it.....

port it then stroke it!

SJ

#6 ·
Why are you guys pulling timing down low for a blower? Find a tuner that will build you a real timing curve. You shouldn't have to have reduced timing down low for proper timing up top.

Ed

#7 ·
Ed Clark said:
Why are you guys pulling timing down low for a blower? Find a tuner that will build you a real timing curve. You shouldn't have to have reduced timing down low for proper timing up top.

Ed
no we didnt mess with the timing down low...just up top. the car was fine without the power pipe, but once it went on, it started spark knocking up top. so we added some fuel and took out some timing. without the power pipe i was seeing 8# max. with it, i was seeing 11 lbs, 12 in good air.

#9 ·
Jesus christ. I cant get shit right today. Got so much damn shit on my mind I cant even think straight. Might as well sell the damn thing and drive a 82 honda hooptie. I am so tired of the shit. The rest of you here can take the time and $ it involved since you guys race on weekends. All I wanted was a 12 second grocery getter. Serves me right.

#11 ·
stanggt00 said:
Jesus christ. I cant get shit right today. Got so much damn shit on my mind I cant even think straight. Might as well sell the damn thing and drive a 82 honda hooptie. I am so tired of the shit. The rest of you here can take the time and $ it involved since you guys race on weekends. All I wanted was a 12 second grocery getter. Serves me right.
i feel your pain man. trust me my car was down for a almost 3 months. if it wasnt one thing it was another. and my car is my daily driver; its my only transportation to work. my boy had just picked up a beater and got his motor replaced when my car went down so i drove the beater for 3 months. time,money and patience are all things you need to have in abundance. ive only been at this for a little over a year now, i know i dont know everything, but im trying to learn, and those are things ive learned well.

#14 ·
Hey guys.

We'll be dyno testing a stock bullit engine, then adding our 302 stroker shortblock w/ stock top end, then adding our stage 2 heads to the bottom end, then our new wild n/a cams to that. In all, we'll have 4 dyno results to show where the money lies, and what component nets the power. This will be done on Tuesday and Wednesday of next week, so we'll update you with the gains we see. 5.0Magazine is covering the article.

Thanks.

#17 ·
VTEngine said:
:D , true.......but aren't you doing the twin T76 turbo's w/ the 324 stroker and a big hit of spray? We won't be testing that one for a while! LOL.;)
Great, now I'm going to have to find something bigger to do! :)

Ed

#22 ·
Rick0636 said:
Was just wondering if a 5.4L crank and connecting rods would work to stroke a 4.6L and if it would what displacement it would make it....hmmm.
Rick,
The 5.4L crank will not work in the 4.6L block. That's been tried unsuccessfully. Good idea though.......:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.