Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am dissapointed with my dyno results last week and could use some advice. I just put in a teksid block with .30 over forged pistons with a 10cc dish (supposedly 10:1). I also at the same time put on a set of stage2 ported heads and upgraded the sq trim to a si trim (slight upgrade I know). I have a 3.1 pulley and am still 6 rib with the factory crank pulley. I made 477whp before these changes and only made 483whp after!!! Now I will say it was around 30* the day it was dynoed and they had problems with wheel spin at peak torque and could not datalog boost. I don't know if there could have been belt slip as I wasn't there but it seems to make 14lbs ok on the street in lower gears (havn't been able to do a 4th gear pull on the street). Dave Guy tuned the car at SGS so I know the tuner is good. He said he put 17* of timing in it and the af's were solid at 11.8. He said he would have expected more out of it as well with the mods I listed but it is what it is. He suggested throwing more boost to it which is what I will probably do. I guess what I really want to know is what pulley setups you guys are using with your 550whp+ s trim cars to get that power. I know most of you are using i/c and not meth so you are probably spinning the blower faster to make the same boost, and maybe thats part of my problem. Let me know your thoughts and if you need any more info about the car if its not in my sig. I am still using the factory updated plastic intake mani, hp blower cams (regrinds). The motor had about 100 miles on it when it was dynoed and about 200 trouble free miles on it now. It does feel faster then it did before but honestly it was fall when the stock motor took a poo and its obviously much colder out now and I can't get traction to save my life. Too much salt on these cold roads still. She steps sideways at peak torque in 3rd gear and I am running nitto drag radials on 15" drag wheels with a drag suspension setup. Sorry about the scattered info, I'm just frustrated after spending another 7grand for 6whp (in a way). Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have a SQ trim with a 2.8 rr ultragrip pulley. My car is a 98 with the good timing cover so I am 6 rib and don't have any belt slip issues. Car will make 15lbs at 6500. Started tuning it last Friday and were only able to go to 5700 and 12.5lbs because it started going lean. I do have an intercooler and I figure its probably 2-3 lbs pressure drop across it. I also have to stock PI intake like you. Right now I'm at 441 on a Mustang dyno, when we go at it again I hope to add more timing and rev to 6500 and make 500 at the wheels.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds about right, I made 419whp on a mustang dyno with the stock bottom end and heads. My guess is that I should make 3-4 more lbs of boost with a 2.8 pulley and that might do the trick. Thanks for responding. I would still like any other feedback from others!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't know if my combo will help you or not but here goes.
It's a built bottom end, about 9-1 comp. I have ported PI heads with bigger valves, Crower blower cams (234 dur, 581 lift), Bullitt intake, MAC longtubes. Vortech SQ with 2.95" pullie, 8 rib setup, Procharger 3 core intercooler, stock crank pullie.
It makes 11lbs of boost at 6500, 16.5 degrees of timing, a/f 11.5 average.
It made 516hp at the wheels recently.
Bob

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
My new build will have ported heads, and 18psi. I am looking to make 625rwhp with the Si-trim. All with a stock bore, and intake.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I'm just frustrated after spending another 7grand for 6whp (in a way). Thanks in advance for the help.
Wow.. I would cut my own throat if that happened to me. I hope you figure it out. @14psi with ported heads, you should be about 515-525. Who did the heads? A .030" bore @10:1 should make REAL good power at 14psi....... Even with 13-14* timing.

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
lons, you have a very close setup to my own.

SQ Trim with 3.12 pulley. ported heads, 10cc pistons put it at 9.9:1. Ford Racing shorties, electric water pump, alum flywheel, 16 psi at peak 6700ish. made 640 rwhp.

My gains are partly attributed to the E85 ethanol, which is really just cheap race gas. Timing is cranked to about 17 at max I believe.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses fellas. This info helps. Stylin, your results are what made me think I would make 600rwhp with my current combo. I bought this teksid built block and the ported heads from a guy off this forum. He said the pistons were 10cc dish and the heads were a stage 2 port job with oversized valves. I did measure that the ports were larger and they had bronze guides and larger valves but can't verify the chamber size or actual piston dish. I am going off his info. I would almost have to gather from everyone elses info that I don't have 10:1 compression, probably closer to 9:1 based on my power at this boost level. Dave said that it looked like the heads were doing their job since the power carried to 6400 much better then before, just didn't make the power we thought it would. I still wonder if there was substantial belt slip/low boost. It sucks that he couldn't datalog boost. That would answer a lot of questions if it had. I will most likely up the boost since most of you (especially the ones at 9:1) are running a smaller pulley then I am. I will most likely try a 8 rib conversion with a 2.8 pulley. This should at least get me over the 500whp mark. Any other ideas let my know. Thanks!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for the responses fellas. This info helps. Stylin, your results are what made me think I would make 600rwhp with my current combo. I bought this teksid built block and the ported heads from a guy off this forum. He said the pistons were 10cc dish and the heads were a stage 2 port job with oversized valves. I did measure that the ports were larger and they had bronze guides and larger valves but can't verify the chamber size or actual piston dish. I am going off his info. I would almost have to gather from everyone elses info that I don't have 10:1 compression, probably closer to 9:1 based on my power at this boost level. Dave said that it looked like the heads were doing their job since the power carried to 6400 much better then before, just didn't make the power we thought it would. I still wonder if there was substantial belt slip/low boost. It sucks that he couldn't datalog boost. That would answer a lot of questions if it had. I will most likely up the boost since most of you (especially the ones at 9:1) are running a smaller pulley then I am. I will most likely try a 8 rib conversion with a 2.8 pulley. This should at least get me over the 500whp mark. Any other ideas let my know. Thanks!!
Since you have the upgraded impeller ( the Si) you can spin it faster with good efficiency to get more power. I would do the 8 rib setup but get a larger crank pullie to overdrive the blower instead of using a smaller blower pullie. This will help with belt slip and still give you more boost.
Bob

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am going to try a 2.8rr pulley as a few guys have claimed ok results with it. Since its cheap and quick I'm going to see how it works out on the dyno and street. I don't drive it too much so if a belt will last 6mths without slipping or busting I may roll with that temporarily. If that doesn't work out too well then I'll go with the 8 rib and a overdrive crank pulley. Thanks again for the input everyone.

·
Registered
810 Posts
If it makes you feel any better we dont race dyno sheets, IMO you shouldnt really care what the dyno says you make at the tires. Every dyno reads a little different and as long as you run the times your looking for thats all that matters.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'm not sure if I understood but you're not running an i/c? I gained like 40rwhp after installing mine back in the day.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am running meth injection instead of an I/C. The inlet temps on meth on the dyno were 80*. There is also no boost loss with meth and the octane of the fuel is raised on meth. I think I may still switch to an i/c instead because I get tired of worrying about how much is in the bottle all the time. By the way, does anyone know the belt size for a 2.8 pulley, stock crank pulley, and the 01 cover and tensioner?? 106.5 perhaps?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.