Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Azure blue Mach 1. Built and Boosted
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting started with SCT PRP. I'm currently dialing in the Transfer function. Simple question for now! When changing the transfer function do I change AD Counts and #/min together or just #/min? I've been highlighting both columns and changing them together but now I'm thinking that might be wrong.

Thanks for any help

Shawn

·
Registered
124 Posts
Only change the #/min. The counts is what makes up your curve. If you've been changing that you'll want to reload the MAF curve and start over.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more thing. Once I'm done dialing in the MAF unloaded, I then move to doing the loaded testing and doing pretty much the same steps (1500, 2000, 2500, 3000 RPM). so If I have to change the transfer function more then won't I be messing with what I've already dialed in?

I have Don Lasota's book and have been going through it step by step. This is just all so new to me so I've got a steep learning curve to overcome. Some things just don't seem obvious to me because of my inexperience.

Thanks for any help
Shawn

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah, you'll be messing with it more. The unloaded step tests are just to get it driveable. Once you start driving it you'll be able to dial it in a lot better. That's why I prefer street tuning as much as possible.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, you'll be messing with it more. The unloaded step tests are just to get it driveable. Once you start driving it you'll be able to dial it in a lot better. That's why I prefer street tuning as much as possible.

OK thanks very much

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok so I'm using the tuning work book pro and am trying to copy and paste the MAF transfer function AD counts - #/min columns. I get a warning that 97.38956 is higher than the maximum value of 0. What am I missing here? If I use it then all of the #/min values are 0. I assume this is not good. If I don't then no changes occur. I have a 3' tube with a VMP 5000 slot maf. I'm using the BA 5000 transfer function data in the workbook.

Car is a 2003 Mach 1 with a 70mm turbo.

Thanks,
Shawn

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Something just occurred to me....I'm hitting the 69.6 #/min threshold in the ECU. Am I right. Can I just change that one cell to 69.6 or would I need ot scale the whole column by the difference?

·
Administrator
9,454 Posts
You are running up against several of the hard stops that Ford chose to place in that generation ECU, Shawn. When you do you need to scale the entire mass air transfer function to fit inside the Ford imposed limits. You also need to scale other related variables like injector size etc, When you are all done the car will run but the load factor calculations will be off because of the scaling. This will impact driveability. If the changes are small the impact is small yada, yada.

The easy way out of the mess is upgrade to an aftermarket ECU. My recommendation is the MS3Pro Plug and Play unit from DIY Autotune. Check out the write ups on the site here for more info. The Diy Autotune PnP unit plugs right into your stock wiring harness like the OEM ECU and comes with an excellent base tune to get you started. The really nice part is emissions testing. When you need to get the car smogged plug the OEM ECU back in change the injectors (if necessary) and go get smogged.

Ed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Ed,

the ms3 pro is my plan in the future.I’ve done lots of reading up on it and like it’s many features. At the moment it’s just not in the budget. I don’t plan to tune this car for maximum effort ( street car mainly) so I’m hoping it’ll be safe for the time being and that I can get decent drivability out of it as well.

I’m using Don Lasotss tuning book as well which has been a wealth of knowledge!

thanks for the input
Shawn

·
Administrator
9,454 Posts
LaSota's book is excellent and will cover all the basics and then some while getting you pointed in the right direction very quickly, Shawn. You also ought to check out Steve Boeing's (03Steve) Tuning Workbook Pro v14.02 <= clickable. You will find a bushel basket of help in there, Steve did a very nice job.

Save ferociously for that MS3Pro PnP, you won't be sorry.

Ed

·
Registered
124 Posts
There should be a value file for the BA5000 that will scale everything as needed. I used that when I ran that MAF in my 01 Cobra. You'll still have to work on the curve after that. You might need to tweak the load values in the spark tables.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LaSota's book is excellent and will cover all the basics and then some while getting you pointed in the right direction very quickly, Shawn. You also ought to check out Steve Boeing's (03Steve) Tuning Workbook Pro v14.02 <= clickable. You will find a bushel basket of help in there, Steve did a very nice job.

Save ferociously for that MS3Pro PnP, you won't be sorry.

Ed

Oh yes I’ve been using the tuning workbook profit a few days now and got my MAF transfer file using that. I was just having an issue with an error coming up. See my first post.

the ms3 pro is what my ultimate goal is and this exercise I’m going through now is a great way tocut my teeth. Well at least I think it is.

Sitting in the car right now and I’ve got 12:1 at idle at 174f. Is it normal to be rich before it reaches 180f? Well even at 180f it’s still rich…looks like I’ve got more work to do!

·
Registered
124 Posts
IIRC the stock ECU hits stoic pretty quick. But it also depends on what the warm up temp is. But I'd say it needs some fuel pulled in that area.

·
Administrator
9,454 Posts
IIRC the stock ECU hits stoic pretty quick. But it also depends on what the warm up temp is. But I'd say it needs some fuel pulled in that area.
Ditto!

You will need more fuel while it is cold but as it warms up you want to wean it off the rich mix. That and timing are only jacked up to keep it running when cold.

Ed

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ditto!

You will need more fuel while it is cold but as it warms up you want to wean it off the rich mix. That and timing are only jacked up to keep it running when cold.

Ed

Ok great. Is that why it starts a bit hard at first? Leaning it out will make it light off quicker?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok great. Is that why it starts a bit hard at first? Leaning it out will make it light off quicker?

Oh and Ed I’ve also followed your recommendations for 10 degrees overlap. Does that affect cranking compression and thereby affecting start up?

·
Administrator
9,454 Posts
Shawn,

Actually the increased fuel will enhance the start up experience unless you get waaaay rich. The idle timing will always hunt around to keep the engine running. When idling under no load I have seen data logs with the timing going into the mid to high 30's and sometimes higher just to maintain idle. The ECU gets away with this w/o detonation because the load is extremely low.

The -10˚ of overlap is designed to protect against several things on street driven vehicles,
  • pumping intake charge out the exhaust port at normal operating engine speeds,
  • provide Increase Idle vacuum and create a better idle,
  • avoid overheating the blower at idle and near idle engine speeds (idle bypass closure),
  • provide better drivability in traffic.
The reduced overlap can affect compression depending on how you achieved it. If you did it by advancing the exhaust and opening the intake at TDC it would increase cranking pressures. If you achieve the reduced overlap by retarding the intake you will decrease cranking pressures. Neither will affect startup.

Ed

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shawn,

Actually the increased fuel will enhance the start up experience unless you get waaaay rich. The idle timing will always hunt around to keep the engine running. When idling under no load I have seen data logs with the timing going into the mid to high 30's and sometimes higher just to maintain idle. The ECU gets away with this w/o detonation because the load is extremely low.

The -10˚ of overlap is designed to protect against several things on street driven vehicles,
  • pumping intake charge out the exhaust port at normal operating engine speeds,
  • provide Increase Idle vacuum and create a better idle,
  • avoid overheating the blower at idle and near idle engine speeds (idle bypass closure),
  • provide better drivability in traffic.
The reduced overlap can affect compression depending on how you achieved it. If you did it by advancing the exhaust and opening the intake at TDC it would increase cranking pressures. If you achieve the reduced overlap by retarding the intake you will decrease cranking pressures. Neither will affect startup.

Ed
great Ed thanks for the info. When I get home from vacation I’ll get back at this tuning thing before summer is over!…lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts