Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that others have been ripped off by SHM as I have. My understanding is also that most are not doing anything about it because of the hassle of him being in canada. I have contacted an attorney about filing a class action law suit against him. My attorney recommended that I try to gather information from others that have had problems with him. Please PM me your name, a phone number to reach you at, and what is owed to you. There is no guarantee that this will go to court but we are trying to speed up the process if is does.

·
Banned
60 Posts
Best of luck to all of you!! I've already had my day with SHM, sued them and won through Ford. For any that read this DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM SHM, keep it in the states!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I understand that others have been ripped off by SHM as I have. My understanding is also that most are not doing anything about it because of the hassle of him being in canada. I have contacted an attorney about filing a class action law suit against him. My attorney recommended that I try to gather information from others that have had problems with him. Please PM me your name, a phone number to reach you at, and what is owed to you. There is no guarantee that this will go to court but we are trying to speed up the process if is does.
Below is my experience from 3 years ago.

SNAKE
Proud MACA Member

Car: 03 Cobra,04 Cobra
Trader Rating: (8) My crappy experience with Sean Hyland on my heads and cams

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is going to be long, so I am sorry up front, but I feel everyone here should know what they are getting into before dealing with Sean Hyland Motorsports. 6 weeks ago I sent my heads to SHM for stage 2 porting and blower cams. I called them and said I wanted the stage 2 heads and reground blower cams. After I thought about it for an hour I called back and said just go with new billett cam that were 400.00 more. They told me to send heads overnite and they would get right on them and have them done in 3 or 4 days. Well 540.00 to overnite them and 2 weeks later I get them back. I can deal with that. Installed heads and a new KB. Start car up and it sounds awesome. Shut car off and try to restart, no compression. check everything imagineable and call SHM. They said has to be the timing and the lifters needed to be bled down. Pull motor out again and send motor to an engine builder to have him degree the cams, and we bleed down lifters. Put back together and starts right up, let it run and drive it a while, as per SHM. They said run it hard. Turn it off and guess what? No compression. Valves are hanging open again. Not bent but hanging open. Lifters were pumping up. I called SHM again they said they didn't know. I called Stictly Perf., JLP, JDM. Nobody ever heard of this. Come to find out SHM sent me regrind cams and said no shimming for lifters were necessary because they adjust the valve length in the heads to accomodate the regrinds. We decided to shim the lifter bores with .025 shims and that took care of the problem. It starts perfectly now and goes on the dyno tonight. This thing is a monster. I called SHM to let them know the cure after a month of messing around and told them politely that I felt they had some liability in this case. Sean said he feels that if he had the car in Canada that he could have made it run without shims in the lifters. The only way he could have done that would have been to cut some length off the valve stems his head guy installed. I am happy with the power increases, but not with how he is taking care of his customers. He feels nothing was wrong. I'll never buy another thing from him and will let all my friends know how he treats people. I did give them a chance to help make it right, but they didn't. I was not looking for a major hand out, I did receive the power increase, but I felt maybe a set of head gaskets may have been a good peace offering, seeing I did everything they told me to over a month of phone calls. Sorry for the post length, but we all need to know who to trust, good and bad. I have praised vendors on this site a lot more than bashed them. Be careful who you order from. J.R.

·
Registered
768 Posts
^^^ Well put. I know of someone local to me who had ^^^ the same problem with this individual who seems devoid of ethics. In his case a core charge of substantial amount was kept (thousands of dollars). I will let him know of this as he is an attorney and has been looking for a reasonable vehicle to remedy the situation. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I live a few hours away from Sean Hyland and I would never deal with them again. Stay away i'm canadian and I buy from the states:usflag:

·
Registered
71 Posts
What kind of problem are you having?
If it's anything like the story posted after the original post, it's ignorance on the part of the buyer, IMO. If you want to run at that kind of performance level you yourself need a certain level of mechanical aptitude. Alternatively you need a large wallet and the wisdom to realize that you have to pay to play.

·
Registered
853 Posts
What kind of problem are you having?
If it's anything like the story posted after the original post, it's ignorance on the part of the buyer, IMO. If you want to run at that kind of performance level you yourself need a certain level of mechanical aptitude. Alternatively you need a large wallet and the wisdom to realize that you have to pay to play.
I've been reading here, and some other boards, going on 2 years almost daily. I wouldn't buy anything from him because I've heard WAY too many horror stories. That's too bad too cause I learned a lot from his book and he's obviously done a lot with the mod engine. The general impression I get is that if you're a high visibility name, you'll get the proper treatment. If you're Joe Blow, you get whatever they feel like giving you.

·
I am the Stig
2,329 Posts
I bought Cobra pump and hat assembly from him with no problems.

·
Registered
853 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good point actually. I bought a blower kit from SHM and a chip several years ago from SHM. He treated me well, but he knew I worked for a major player in NHRA drag racing at the time. He must have stayed on the phone for 45 mins with me.

I've been reading here, and some other boards, going on 2 years almost daily. I wouldn't buy anything from him because I've heard WAY too many horror stories. That's too bad too cause I learned a lot from his book and he's obviously done a lot with the mod engine. The general impression I get is that if you're a high visibility name, you'll get the proper treatment. If you're Joe Blow, you get whatever they feel like giving you.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Re: Sean Hyland Motorsports/head question

I thought SHM was one of those very knowledgable modular shops that got a premium for their work due to their success in the field with these motors but never heard he could be trouble.
I heard of a guy paying $4400. for a set of heads that were ported and polished that came complete with valvetrain and "custom reground cam". I check the site and indeed see a price of $3295. for heads(no core that I could see so you get a brand new set of heads?) and it says they come with SS valves and they are completely assembled but the maker of the springs and the cam choices are not listed. Seems like a lot of cash for so little info.
Does SHM actually have the capability to do heads like they say with major increases in flow that would warrant that kind of price and why use regrinds? Has anyone seen the specs of the regrind cams he uses? Anyone heard of any reground cam/specs for these 4.6 motors? THX, Mark

·
Registered
93 Posts
sad that so many people have had problems with them. they are constantly written up in magazines as places to go.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have SHM stage II b-heads on my 96, as well as the cam chain tensioners, no problem in 30,000 miles, the exchange rate in Canada, and the shipping does add some cost, and dealing with the aftermarket has it's problems all over.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ok on to my little story. I am 25 minutes from shm. So i have bought a couple things from him over the past couple of years. The last thing i bought was a steeda shifter from him since he is a dealer. So anyhow i called up and ordered a steeda shifter for a tko 600. When it showed the box said it was for a 3550/tko so i pulled it from the box it was the wrong . I then went on steeda's website to find out it was the wrong one they ordered for me so i called them back and told them ,the guy that answered the phone said he would have to talk to sean . So he then called me back and said they would get me the right one but they wanted a restock fee on the old one. So i told him to tel sean to shove it up his ass!So he doesnt treat the canadians very well either.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
That's crazy. They make a mistake and wanted you to pay for it?!!!!! That is what scares me about thsts cams. With no number stamped I have no idea what the specs are. The lift is right around .500" so I am comfortable there but duration is another.
Hard to believe this guy stays in business. I have not read his book but if he really knows Modular's you would think he would take a basic business course at a community college and run his as a class act. From what I have read I would be afraid to send him any payment for anything! Brenspeed, DirtyDog, Blueovalchips, heck I even had a good transaction with RPM!

·
Registered
96 Posts
It is hard to believe he stays in business.He dosent have his phone # in any phone books up here .He strictly relies on business from the u.s and by the sounds off it there are alot of unhappy customers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Whatever happened to the place he set up in Alabama?

Sean Hyland Motorsport Plant Tour - StangNet - The Mustang Network
Did it ever get off the ground? I never saw anything else about it on the net.

And, what happened to high_up1? He never posted again, on this thread or anywhere else. Anybody know him?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I also live close to SHM (25min) drove to his shop one day last year to look at purchasing a built 5.4L for my truck they send this guy out who didnt know squat about the motor so i didnt end up buying there (or anywhere as of yet) and i figured he would have a decent showroom... nope

figured he would be decent because he's local but i guess not from all the comments.

as for the dont buy in canada comment keep it usa how bout keep it north american our countries are tied so close it dont really matter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
All I can say is that I was looking to purchase a high flow 98 cobra water pump from SHM and he wanted to charge me the purchase price plus 5% for the exchange rate. I found out the pump was made in the states and ordered it locally. Be loyal to your country, support your armed forces and buy local. That's all I have to say.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
It's too bad that a guy who started the modular aftermarket/rebuilds would turn greedy. I have spoken to a formewr employee who was told when he left SHM that if he said anything about Sean personally or about the business, especially his practices, he would be sued for something in the 2-5 million dollar range. Sean has a few skeletons to hide. I am sure 8 years ago he was one of the best modular guys around but it seems success has gone to his head.
I have noticed there are a few vendors that are repeatedly used by the mags and that it is a select few. Must be the b etter advertisers who get the nod with the mags and not the up and coming with thinking outside the box. Anyone ever seen Hitech in a mag article in recent years? Sure would like to see an article on their cams that was not biased.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts