Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the current issue of MM&FF (p74 sept 03) there is an article that talks about adjustable roller rockers that Second Street Speed is offerering for the modular engines.

They tested them on a 99 cobra motor and gained about 40-45hp. Not having to worry about the rockers or spring failing, and making some hp at the same time would be a great mod.

This may be a stupid question, but do we have the same roller rockers as the 99-01 cobra? If so, I think the SSS roller rockers would work really well. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats a good question, they did not mention that in the article. I checked out their website but I couldn't find anything.

The 03 obviously has the best flowing heads, but are the cams/roller rockers/springs the same as all the other 4.6L cobras?

·
Registered
207 Posts
"Supposedly" they are in the realm of $3500 for the set :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Randy Haywood, John Mihovetz and the rest of the FAST Modular racers use the stock lifters, rockers, etc....I know the car that it was tested on and I know the shop, and they have tried alot of new things, but IMHO they are NOT needed...Just get the correct cam and spring setup and you will be fine IMHO

Jeff

·
Registered
459 Posts
I saw another post that mentioned the price for the rockers, solid lifts and springs was $3500 which just seems wrong. The other thing not mentioned anywhere yet is noise. Solid lifters are louder than hydraulics and there is no mention yet of how much louder they are. The other item worth mentioning is recommended adjustment interval? Solid lifters require manual adjustment. There is no hydraulic mechanism to take up the slack, I am curious to see what SSS recommends there as well. The numbers in the article were interesting but a little unbelievable for the gains at the stated RPMs. Now if your interested in taking the engine to 7000rpms, I understand in theory why they are worth looking into... but 40HP gains at 6000? Were the stock springs too weak or what?

Jerry

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, I was hoping it would be less than that. I really wish we had more options when it came to things like this.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Jerry said:
Were the stock springs too weak or what?
They didn't change the springs just the rockers and lifters. I don't expect these to be to cheap remember we need 32 of each not 16 like before. Also changing them is going to be a real PIA and will require removal of several major components including the supercharger, intercooler, and brake booster. This CORA design is completely different then what most of us are use to. The new rockers increase duration and reduced lift.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
while switching from a hydraulic lash adjuster to mechanical valve lash adjustment will allow more rpm, neither the camshafts nor the intake tract are set up for high rpm. do these new valvetrain bits allow for higher lift camshafts to be installed? for the naturally aspirated guys that rev to the moon, i can see this, sure, but our engines run out of steam shortly after 6k rpm. am i missing something here?

·
L&M Engines
274 Posts
Mechanical lash adjusters

We have conducted extensive study on the stock cams in regard to our line of cams we will have out in the next 30 days.

The stock cams and ours have ramps for hydraulic lash adjusters, not mechanical style ramps. The ramp has a very important function, most of which is valve seating velocity.

One can run mechanical cams on hydraulics, but running a hydraulic cam on mechanical adjusters shortens the life of the valve train due to the shorter ramps on the hydraulic cam.

Regards //Michael

Coming soon---

Adjustable timing gears for 2V and 4V Cammer Engines.

All 4 gears are independently adjustable.

5 power levels of billet cams for the 4V.

4 of which require no valvetrain mods. Stock components friendly.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I've been a little confused with the discussion about hydraulic versus mechanical valve "lifters." Looks to me like the component disscussed is not a valve lifter, as in an OHV engine, but a valve lash adjuster, which serves to keep the "rocker" or finger follower in contact with the cam. It doesn't lift the valve. Now, it seems to me that a properly functioning hydraulic device would be preferable to a mechanical device for this function, assuming it can keep up with the valvetrain speed, which shouldn't be a problem with our engines. Should maintain essentially zero lash.

I think performance gains with the Second Street setup are probably due to altered "rocker" arm ratio, with more effective valve lift, rather than switching the lash adjusters.

Anyway, I can't imagine adjusting 48 of these things on a regular basis, with all that is involved in removing the valve covers on our engines. Is there really a performance advantage here?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I spoke w/ Second Street and the price listed above is correct and they also offer a kit for the 2V at $1,700. They told me that their intention was not to increase power but to improve reliability/durability. The power addition was just a nice bonus but for those wishing to find 40 HP, they are not worth the money compared to other mods. Give it time and other companies will make similar rockers if these really work well - and prices will drop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts