Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Believe it or not, I put my stock knob on top of my tri-ax. I like the look and the feel. I also have some stainless looking inserts on my dash/door and such so the factory knob ties it all together!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the stock on too....I just missed the classic shifter feel I guess of my musclecars. The stock one is nice...but sits abit to high for me....with the shifter ball I got ..the handle screws way in and lowers the shifting point even more...an even shorter throw.

Harry

·
Registered
52 Posts
I also just put the stock knob onto the triax. The shifter position still feels a bit too foward to me (have short arms) so I plan on changing the handle and knob at some point.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Harry, I went with the GRIPPER from MGW. Nice fat knob with a big old Snake face in chrome. Looks nice too....

·
Registered
4 Posts
sambandit said:
Believe it or not, I put my stock knob on top of my tri-ax. I like the look and the feel. I also have some stainless looking inserts on my dash/door and such so the factory knob ties it all together!
Personally, They look like they would provide better "feel" also. Better feel is always a plus when looking for third. I think i am going to try this shifter the use on the C5R (corvette). They call it the "HardBar", (pun intended) :D You'll understand when you see it. :) It's pretty nice and very thick, I am going to give it a try, even though it's pricy. The awsome thing about it is, if you gind of the threads with a Rotary tool (easy to do since it's derlin) You can adjust how low or high you want it to sit...

Here's a pic

Attachments

·
Registered
674 Posts
HRH, I was in the same boat. I wanted the classic hot rod look of a Hurst Classic White knob.

Unfortunately, Hurst is dragging their feet on making one for the Ford standard thread (12x1.75) so I had to go with the one for the GM T-56 (16x1.5).

The solution was simple since I use a MGW adjustable handle, which uses a simple, bent end-threaded rod. I had a local fab shop mill me a new rod with the GM thread for $20 and bolted it all up. Viola!

Looks awesome in the Cobra. Sorry no picture. :(

Here's what I bought...
Hurst Knob

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the UPR silver w/ the 6 speed shift pattern. Seems to fit my hand well.

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
sambandit said:
I beleive it, I also like the stock knob and put it back on when I installed my tri-ax/MGW handle combo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Same here, I am always looking too...even that Pistol Grip shifter I have seen around that is something like the Mopar days of years ago. That handle is awesome for powershifting...

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks....I sure do like it too. Just a nice solid feel all through the shifter now with the Tri-ax and the FatKnob. I guess its just because I am use to that type of handle that were on all my musclecars with Hurst Competition Plus shifters.

Harry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Stupid question: my shift knob is loose and every time I squeeze it very hand tight it becomes almost instantly loose again, what is best repair? Crank the hell out of it with a wrench (which I've been afraid to do) or put something on the thread first?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My stock one had that problem...in the old days there was always a lock nut under the knob to lock it tight and it never came loose. I guess you could try that . I wouldnt use locktight or anything like that. If I didnt buy the Round Ball I would have done the nut threaded on the handle just before the knob to keep it tight like Hurst Competition Plus shifters came back when.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts