Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

shocks and struts

2K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  crazystang25 
#1 ·
I was looking at buy new shocks and struts for my 98 gt and would like some opinions. My car is a DD so i would like a good drivability. I manely do drag racing, some roll racing and in the future would like to do road racing. I want to get something that i can vonvert in coil over later on cuz money is a little tite right. I was looking at strange engineering but have never really heard much about them. I appreciate the help. thanx fellas.

#2 ·
i would suggest either strange engineerings adjustables or bilsteins shocks and struts. i have bilsteins on mine and love them. but i have heard some good stuff about strange engineerings stuff and their equipment is always high quality too. i did drive 1750 miles with my Maximum Motorsports k-member kit with bilsteins from atlanta to laramie wyoming with no problem. and was fairly comfortable too. but you still get good handling. strange's adjustability makes them a great deal too. if you have ever seen trevors silver 04gt he ran a best last time i saw on here or youtube was a 12.16 with the strange equipment on all motor stock bottom end.

#3 ·
I'm probably gona end up going with strange. I plane on doing the tubular k member and A arms later down the road too. Do u have coil overs on ur car? That guy trevors car is insane fast. I completly forgot he had strange coil overs!!

#4 ·
ya i got em on the front with the MM k-member kit.

#5 ·
do you know what k-member you wanna run in the future.

#6 ·
I dont know i have not looked into it yet. I usually dont do my research untile i am ready to buy something or i come across something sheap. The only one that i crosses my mind is AJE, but im not gona go with them cuz my brother already got two from them for his 4v fox and passenger wheel sticks in more then the drive side. As i said before i gona do a tubular K member and A arms at the same time. How much did u pay for ur MM?

#7 ·
I've been happy with my strange adjustable units.

Crank them to 9 on the street and all the way down at the track. Handles great, compliant for racing. Price isn't bad either. I'm running coil overs on them, something you can always add later.

#9 · (Edited)
I've been happy with my strange adjustable units.

Crank them to 9 on the street and all the way down at the track. Handles great, compliant for racing. Price isn't bad either. I'm running coil overs on them, something you can always add later.
Thats good to know, i want something that feels good in the street cuz i always have my son in the car. If its not too much to ask cuz i know it takes a while to do, do u have any pictures of the coilovers on the car? Have u ever done road racing with the set up u have right now?

#8 · (Edited)
K-Member Package, 1996-04, Delrin bushings, Bilstein
[click for larger image]

[click&nbspfor&nbsplarger&nbspimage]

$1,811.46
Part #: MMKMP-27
Manufacturer: Maximum Motorsports
Note:
Actual product may differ from photo. Add:

MM K-Member Package for 1996-04 Mustang, Standard geometry Arms, Delrin bushings, for Bilstein Struts

K-member Packages include all of the items needed to upgrade your front suspension with a high performance Maximum Motorsports K-Member. For more information see the complete descriptions for each individual component. Saves 50 lbs. over stock components! We recommend the following parts to accompany the installation of a K-Member Package:
  • MM Front Swaybar bracket reinforcements (Fox chassis only)
  • MM Strut Tower Brace
  • High performance struts to match your spring rate
  • Solid steering shaft
To order specify your swaybar diameter and consult with your salesperson to choose your spring rate.

Package Includes:
  • MM K-Member
  • MM Front Control arms
  • MM Front Coil-Over Conversion kit
  • MM Aluminum Steering Rack Bushings
  • MM Caster/Camber plates**
  • MM Adjustable Tie-Rod Ends
  • MM 2-Point K-Member Brace
  • Urethane front swaybar bushings
  • Swaybar end links (shorter)
  • MM Front Swaybar Relocation Kit*
* Packages with offset geometry Control Arms include the relocation kit for the front swaybar. ** Available in chrome for an additional $50. Note if you want chrome in the special order instructions during checkout.

this is their k-member kit. you can get your control arms in 2 different offsets for increased caster, the farther offset can require you to roll the front fenders so they dont rub. HD bilstein struts are 215$ each and the grooved bilstein shocks for coil overs are 127$ a piece. if you want urethane bushings instead of delrin its around 1700$ for the k-member kit.

#10 ·
Crazystang, is that the set up that u have on ur car?

#11 ·
ya i run that kit with the delrin bushings for the control arms. and i have their xtreme rear LCA's with spherical bearings on axle and body ends.

#13 ·
What are LCA's?

#15 ·
rear LCA's=rear lower control arms

#16 ·
rear LCA's=rear lower control arms
ok, well thanx for all the info and i am gona end up going with stange, ill let u know as soon as i get them and have them on the car. once again thanx and i appreciate the help.

Cesar

#17 ·
no prob, good luck. keep us posted on how they perform.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.