Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering should I go with shorties or long tube headers for my 2v. I am looking at the ceramic coated ford racing shorties, or the ceramic coated slp longtubes. My engine is a stock pi engine. How much hp can I expect from these?

· Registered
637 Posts
I heard about 8-15 hp for long tubes on a stock block'. Almost nothing for shorties.

Gears will do more for you and for less performance wise.

· Registered
417 Posts
I recommend American Racing headers. They fit great, I can't say enough good about them.

· Registered
242 Posts
Shorties, expect nothing or less on a stock engine. Longtubes will give you a nice gain and better sound. If you're running a stock H pipe, you can expect gains of 20+ hp with a nice set of longtubes and matching midpipe. Go with the best quality you can afford for ease of installation and longevity.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After reading all of your post, I wish I hadn't acted so quickly. 4 hours ago I went on ebay and bidded om a set of ford racing ceramic coated headers, brand new and never opened. I won the bid for 273.00 + 15.41 shipping. Now I wish I had saved up the money to buy the 800.00 slp ceramic coated long tubes, because I already have a slp loudmouth catback system installed.

· Registered
585 Posts
i had the FRPP ceramics and they lasted forever! mild gains but if your car isnt heavily modified then i wouldnt sweat it! as a matter of fact i still have a set on my wifes GT with full MAC exhaust sounds better then my 01 Roush w/BBK LT and off raod H-pipe, but it is side exhaust so it sounds different. It did make a significant amount of power on my Roush but its also has a built motor with a vortech s/c. Difference of 35rwhp with a tune

· Registered
585 Posts
I think i'll keep them for now and use the money I was going to save up for long tubes and put towards a supercharger.
My car made 500rwhp with shorties and it really makes swapping out the clutch tranny a lot easier.

· Premium Member
2,585 Posts
On a mostly stock motor, I wouldn't waste the time on either. Longtubes are a pain in the butt. They reduce ground clearance, and make clutch swaps a nightmare. Believe me, i have them on my car and wish i just put shorties on.

· Registered
585 Posts
On a mostly stock motor, I wouldn't waste the time on either. Longtubes are a pain in the butt. They reduce ground clearance, and make clutch swaps a nightmare. Believe me, i have them on my car and wish i just put shorties on.
I here you! i dont have problems with clearance, but i have a Roush and i was use to scrapping everywhere. I finally mastered the art of getting around speed bumps and steep drive ways. I wish i wouldve beefed up my tranny before i installed the LTs. Iam dreading the day i have to drop it! i know its coming its the only part of the car that hasnt been built aside from a centerforce clutch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.