Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been digging through some old threads about the 15x4 skinnies and it sounds like you need a 1" spacer and 3" ARP wheel studs to make them work.

The question I have is when you put your normal 17x9 stock rims back on up front after do the studs hang way out and look stupid? If so I think I need to find some other skinnies that will work without having to run a spacer.

Either buy some 17x9 knock offs and get them narrowed to 17x4 or see if Bogart or someone else makes a rim to clear. If you know of some please post up, I am very unfamiliar with skinnies and companies making them.

Thanks

P.S. If someone has a pair of 17x9 wheels for sale cheap let me know please. I might be interested if the 17's from Bogart and others are real expensive.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I have been digging through some old threads about the 15x4 skinnies and it sounds like you need a 1" spacer and 3" ARP wheel studs to make them work.

The question I have is when you put your normal 17x9 stock rims back on up front after do the studs hang way out and look stupid? If so I think I need to find some other skinnies that will work without having to run a spacer.

Either buy some 17x9 knock offs and get them narrowed to 17x4 or see if Bogart or someone else makes a rim to clear. If you know of some please post up, I am very unfamiliar with skinnies and companies making them.
You only need a wheel spacer to run a 15" wheel.....so yes if you run long studs you will have to swap to open ended lugs for your street wheels, and I guess it is a matter of opinion if it looks stupid because I think it looks bad ass on my car.

And your search for a front skinny that will fit without a spacer will be tough if you plan to stick with a 15" wheel. It will not clear because it rubs on the caliper, so unless you find one with a negative offset you are SOL. Stick to the 16's or 17's.

--Joe

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You only need a wheel spacer to run a 15" wheel.....so yes if you run long studs you will have to swap to open ended lugs for your street wheels, and I guess it is a matter of opinion if it looks stupid because I think it looks bad ass on my car.

And your search for a front skinny that will fit without a spacer will be tough if you plan to stick with a 15" wheel. It will not clear because it rubs on the caliper, so unless you find one with a negative offset you are SOL. Stick to the 16's or 17's.

--Joe
Joe,

I know I am SOL on a 15" rim to clear with no spacer, I think I worded my question bad I was asking what other rims(16 and 17) are there available to buy?

Do you have a picture of your 17x9 stock wheels on with the longer studs up front? I run 3.5" ARP wheel studs out back with open lugs, but with my 3/8" spacer the stud doesn't protrude beyond the lug nut hole(that is what I don't want showing on the front)

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Joe,

I know I am SOL on a 15" rim to clear with no spacer, I think I worded my question bad I was asking what other rims(16 and 17) are there available to buy?

Do you have a picture of your 17x9 stock wheels on with the longer studs up front? I run 3.5" ARP wheel studs out back with open lugs, but with my 3/8" spacer the stud doesn't protrude beyond the lug nut hole(that is what I don't want showing on the front)
I also run the 3.5" ARP's but sorry no pictures.

I would look into Bogarts (16") or you can get the 17" wheels from Weld (Magnum or Aluma-Star = $$$$$$).

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+400100+4294923105+4294793320+115+4294755963

--Joe

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I also run the 3.5" ARP's but sorry no pictures.

I would look into Bogarts (16") or you can get the 17" wheels from Weld (Magnum or Aluma-Star = $$$$$$).

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+400100+4294923105+4294793320+115+4294755963

--Joe
Thanks Joe, as long as the studs don't hand out past the rim face so you can see them(if that makes sense) I don't mind running longer studs up front and open lugs. Then I can buy diamond racing 15's to match my 16x10's. I drag race only a handful of times a year so those 17" Welds are way too much $$$$

I would rather have stockers cut and narrowed and can probably do it for the same or less.

Schyler

·
Registered
971 Posts
If you dont go to the track alot you could always try the bolt on spacers.
Tech guys may or may not care :dunno2:
If you dont want the chariot wheel look I would go with the gt brakes.Lighter weight and you dont need a spacer!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Thanks Joe, as long as the studs don't hand out past the rim face so you can see them(if that makes sense) I don't mind running longer studs up front and open lugs. Then I can buy diamond racing 15's to match my 16x10's. I drag race only a handful of times a year so those 17" Welds are way too much $$$$

I would rather have stockers cut and narrowed and can probably do it for the same or less.

Schyler
I think the narrowed OEM wheel is bad ass, very cool sleeper look.

--Joe

·
Registered
971 Posts
I had mine done last year, when it was all said and done it cost a little under $700.That included $300 for new tires too.
You dont really save alot of weight with the rim but you do with the smaller tire!

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am just waiting to hear from Bogart on a price for the 16" Skinnies.

If they are rediculous then I am going to try and find some used 17x9's and have them narrowed. The narrowed stockers should be real strong to even run on the street if you have to.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Why not run steely spares on the front for track use?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Ya they're fine but look like hell

·
Registered
501 Posts
That is another option.

Are the skinny tires safer for the speeds we run?
I would say no but, 17" skinny front runners are available through companies like Mickey Thompson.... Get the spare from your car and your brothers Mach or from a wreckers, swap on some Mickey Thompsons fronts and go for it...

·
Registered
587 Posts
Schyler, if you wait a week or two I can take some pictures of my car with some skinny rims/tires. Picked up a set of 17x9 Chrome stockers and having them narrowed. They arrived at HPP last Wednesday.

At least I did it first.:tip:

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Schyler, if you wait a week or two I can take some pictures of my car with some skinny rims/tires. Picked up a set of 17x9 Chrome stockers and having them narrowed. They arrived at HPP last Wednesday.

At least I did it first.:tip:
Sweet Carlo.

Let me know what they weight and how they turn out. With our dollar the way it is stuff is more expensive, but if they are cheaper then bogarts I am down.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
greg weld makes a 17x4.5 wheel in the 5 spoke star pattern. I just ordered a set from jimsracingtires on ebay to match my 15x8 rears

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The wheel studs don't stick out of your stock wheels. I don't have any pics, but I ran that combo all last year----no issues.

I have arp 3" front studs and my bogarts have the spacer welded to them---1". I am actually running Fox length a-arms, and will need a spacer on the 17x9/275/40 combo to fit without rubbing.

I hated the "1in spacer---wheels sticking out of the fenders---look", so I went with shorter a-arms to tuck them in.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts

Thanks

P.S. If someone has a pair of 17x9 wheels for sale cheap let me know please. I might be interested if the 17's from Bogart and others are real expensive.
$900 plus shipping for these Bogart WHEELS.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts