Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the tracks out here in SoCal are seldom prepped or lightly prepped. I'm thinking about buying some decent smaller diameter (but wider I think) wheels and mounting some sticky 'straight line' tires that would not get me booted into a 'hardcore racer' class. Plan to take them to the track in the backup truck and change at the track unless I get a trailer and start towing to the track (meow...). I seldom expect them to be used on the street. I don't want to compromise street handling for track ET.

I'm also giving in and getting a good rollbar in the Vert, chucking the the back seat, etc, so there will be no realistic 'NHRA rule based' limit to the times I will run. I've stayed basically stock with the engine (around 400 RWHP) , but after I see what ET I can get out of this power level with the new sticky setup, I will add the next 50+ easy HP to the engine and see what happens next (half-shafts, rear- end kaboom! ha ha).
If you are currently running a smaller diameter wheel and a sticky tire that is something less than an all out slick on a 2003 Cobra, I'd appreciate your results. I would not be doing this if the tracks were consistantly prepped better out here, but they are what they are.
Pointing me at a thread is OK. I searched, but found little factual info posted in the last couple of months. Found people planning, found opinions, but not much 'I did this, and this was the result'.
JW

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
James,

I think that you are right on track with this idea (no pun intended). If your ultimate goal is to get maximum ET from your current HP levels (a damn respectable goal at that) then the top priority is in the hook.

And I also think that if you are going to put a strip tire on the car, it's a good idea to trailer the car back and fourth or put the tires on when you get there. Shaved tread, bias-ply tires are not safe on the street!

Hmmm.... Maximum hook will require a few things. Tires and wheels are one. The others are chassis and suspension. With resepct to tires (and especially with bias ply tires) you want as much side wall as you can get. When the tire wrinkles, that's when the HARD HOOK comes!

So I think it's a good idea for you to get smaller wheels. I was under the impression that Weld Prostar and Drag Lite XP's would fit our cars in a 15" out back. But they won't clear some IRS components. So go with a 16" wheel and cram the tallest tire you can under that car.

Also, I would recommend you do what I am about to do: get line locks. JT will attest to the fact that you can get your best ET if you do a second gear burnout out of the waterbox. That is because you can keep RPMs down and stay out of boost during the burnout - keeping the blower cooler just before the run.

JT can explain the thee-foot or heal-toe maneuver for powerbraking for the 2nd gear burnout. But it's easy to smoke the clutch that way and you never really know if the tires are breaking loose. It's FAR BETTER to just get line locks.

Next for maximum ET you need looooooose springs; as in Eibach drag launch springs. These allow for weight transfer and get the car squatting when it needs to to plant the rear tires. They go well with a good adjustable shock/strut setup like Lakewood 90/10's. Of course, the ultimate suspension is a coil-over configuration.

Keep in mind that hard-hooking suspension comes at the cost of drivability and safety on the road. Say goodbye to any corner carving capabilities. But if it's ET's that you love, this is the way to go.

I think you are on track, James. Small wheel and sticky tire is a great start.

Please keep me posted as to the progress of your project. If there's one thing that is more impressive than big HP from big blowers....it's a car that is FAST for what it is.

Good luck, man!

:cool:

PS: I got the Pro 5.0 shifter and I like too. :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Hammer.

I will use the strip wheels and tires only at the strip (well, there is a guy with a heavily modded import that might cause me to put them on the street at least one time .) All of the suspension work done is to make the car ready for a road course, but I like to take my 17 year old to the drags and see who can post the best numbers. He drove my Porsche from ages 13--16 and handles a car well.

I have coilovers all round with adjustable Konis.
So, specifically, a 16 inch wheel, strong and light, with something like the Mickey T Street ETs. I will look into the linelock. This 2003 is my only toy right now so it's job is to suck up all my spare cash.
JW

·
Registered
229 Posts
Rich,

I've been thinking about a line lock too. I've been rolling out of the waterbox, winding to about 3500 rpm and burning out in second gear, but it's difficult to get it to burn long enough to get the nittos good and hot.I think a line lock is probably the way to go.

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts