Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Geology and Cars
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tranny is an 03 Cobra one. So I have mine all installed except the crossmember. I have 96 cobra bolt in frame rail mounts for the xmember and they line up good with the crossmember. My question is, how high is the center of the output shaft supposed to be from the top of the trans tunnel? The stock rubber bushing that connects the x member and tailshaft housing seems a little tall when mocked up. Anybody know of a different mount to use instead of the stocker that would be shorter? Any other input to your T-56 install would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
192 Posts
D&D Transmission in Wixom michigan sells a t56 swap kit and I'm sure they would sell you just the cross section.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Got my cross-member from Tousley Ford, for a decent price. I think it was about $60. But being thats yours is an SN95 I don't know how different they are than my '00. Couldn't hurt to call and ask

·
Geology and Cars
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I did today and they use Ford's aftermarket T-56 with the Viper tailshaft housing so that means it's a different bushing altogether. But I think I might have found a solution cause prothane makes a mount for this conversion but we'll see if the glove fits...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Oh I did today and they use Ford's aftermarket T-56 with the Viper tailshaft housing so that means it's a different bushing altogether. But I think I might have found a solution cause prothane makes a mount for this conversion but we'll see if the glove fits...
Does the prothane use your existing mount, but has a plate to move it farther back to allow for the T-56 to adapt??? Is that what you're saying?

·
Geology and Cars
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No the crossmember and tranny line up just fine, it's the stock mount that is a little tall and puts the tailshaft/Output shaft closer to the trans tunnel thus offsetting the driveline angles. This mount looks shorter than stock so hopefully it will solve my dilemma. So to answer your question, it's a completely different mount. I have an 03 tranny whereas the DandD kits utilize the FRPP style trannies.

·
Registered
734 Posts
What did you guys do for the speedo calibration, mounting an 03 Cobra T-56 in your 96-97 Cobra? Other threads contain enough information for my shop to do the crossmember, and I can either buy a $500 driveshaft from D&D or have the stock driveline shortened and a new yoke mounted. Can anyone provide advice on the speedo adaptation?

·
Geology and Cars
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You want to get the Extended Range SpeedCal from Dallas Mustang. It translates the 03's electrical speedo sensor signal to the 96-7's cpu mechanical speedo signal for the computer to recognize it. You also call Dallas Mustang to get it calibrated once installed.

·
Registered
734 Posts
The real viper T-56 trans on ebay seem much cheaper than Cobra T-56s, even though they are rated for more hp. I just passed on one that sold for $1091 on ebay. I know that I would need to buy a different bellhousing ($500), 31 spline driveshaft but what else ($500), adapt the crossmember and adapt the speedo somehow (don't know if the vipers are mechanical or electronic)...

Is that it? It sounds like going this way I would have a stronger trans than if I bought a Cobra T-56, and it would also be cheaper...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.