Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a bunch of stuff on pullies and stuff trying to figure out what the max "safe" boost I can run.

But then I see things about upper (which I heard about before), lower pulley, and alternator pulley. What's what? I'm so confused more now then before. What's the best combo? What's the safest combo? This is all assuming a chip will be installed (most likely from amazon racing) at the same time to make sure the A/F is safe.

Someone please shed some light on these pulley things...superchagers are a whole new world for me :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the 2.80 upper pulley and 4LB lower pulley with the stock alternator pulley and have plenty of boost and no problems<its making about 17 lbs

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
A few guys have managed to run good with upper lower pulley combos (very high boost), notably Nitrous Pete and F8tlbite.

For the most part, other than those two and maybe a couple of others, no one has been able to run much better if at all than my car, which has the stock lower with a 2.93 upper (13-14 lbs depending on the weather).

I have my own theory which I put on a web page here:

http://users.erols.com/drfunky/pages/BoostHP.html

JT

·
Registered
481 Posts
JT said:
A few guys have managed to run good with upper lower pulley combos (very high boost), notably Nitrous Pete and F8tlbite.

For the most part, other than those two and maybe a couple of others, no one has been able to run much better if at all than my car, which has the stock lower with a 2.93 upper (13-14 lbs depending on the weather).

I have my own theory which I put on a web page here:

http://users.erols.com/drfunky/pages/BoostHP.html

JT
Why cant someone run better than just a 2.93?
Do you mean more efficiant?
There are people with a 2.8/6lb combo running 10s...
People are still adding power with smaller uppers and bigger lowers even thought the blower is not efficient at high rpms...

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
TopRacer said:
Why cant someone run better than just a 2.93?
Do you mean more efficiant?
There are people with a 2.8/6lb combo running 10s...
People are still adding power with smaller uppers and bigger lowers even thought the blower is not efficient at high rpms...
Yes I mean more efficiant.

Who is running 10's with the Eaton other than the two I mentioned?

Take a look at F8tlbite's awesome 10.97, it was at 122.56 mph. True the great 60 ft, I think, took off a little trap speed I've seen him trap at 125 ish before, but a 2.93 can get you a 123. Don't forget that both the 10 second Eaton cars had headers and off road pipes. Well Pete has off road's not sure about F8tlbite's. With just a 2.93 upper mine went 122.98 through the factory log manifolds and catted H-pipe.

I think the extra boost can net a few extra rwhp with the right tune and combo , just not very much.

The extra boost definately generates a lot more low end torque, I am curious to know how much that played into F8tlbites 1.55 60 ft. I think it probably helped a little, but I think it was more his big balls to launch so hard :D and good driving.

I talked to F8tlbite ar Cecil last year right after he installed the lower. At that time he said he didn't think it did too much. I know now he has tried a few more tunes, hopefully he will chime in here with what he thinks now.

·
400 Posts
3.10, 3.00, or a 2.93 makes an excellent combination. These 3 pulleys are my favorites. Around 4 lbs of boost is fine with the eaton. ;)

Rick

·
Registered
42 Posts
At the up coming SSOTN event on April 12th we will have many boost levels together at the SAME track on the SAME day so we all can find out what works best. If the lower boost levels go faster I will gladly lower my boost but based on my experience with Lightning's higher boost equal faster times.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Seek and ye shall find the combo. or call nitro lol
Boy I can rime. . . .

·
Banned
2,034 Posts
I'll chime JT. Just kidding. I ran 123 with just a 2.80 upper at 11.37. I ran my 11.19 at 124 with the 2.80 and 4lb lower. And I ran my 10.97 at 122 with a 2.80 and 6lb lower. I think these blowers can hold the boost levels as long as they are iced down. I loss boost if my blower is hot but only like a pound or so now that I don't have slip due to the RR upper pulley. The idler didn't do crap with the big 6lb lower (at least on mine I got a ton of slip probably more with it since I had chunks of belt in my engine bay) I think you need a lower to get 10's because of the extra torque created to get these heavy beasts rolling:D

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
and are you using pump gas?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts