Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to abuse the forum like this ... but I have someone with a '03 cobra who appears to be a nitrous pete fanboy of sorts ... and he claims that Pete has hit 1000RWHP and 8's on the factory engine (4.6) using the Kenne Bell blower.

Is there any truth at all to this claim or should I ask him where to get some of that crack he is smoking??

My understanding (every search I've done) is that Pete is at around 750 RWHP and is running solid 10's and had a 9 under his belt (damned impressive) ... am I missing something??

Thanks for any replies.

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
You've come to the right place.

As far as dyno numbers, I am not sure what Pete's car is currently making.

Full weight, with IRS, an Automatic, stock engine with the Kenne Bell around 20-23 psi and nitrous, he ran 9.99

He stepped up the blower to aroun 30 psi and ran 10.0

With the amount of power his car is making, it would be capable of running low 9s.

Pete is not the only 03 in the 9s, in the past few days Biscamp's 03 went 9.60 I believe, with a Kenne Bell, nitrous, live axle and a C4.

All of this is off the top of my head, don't quote me! :cool:

G

·
Pete isnt in the 8's. I can tell you that.....but his 03 is making the most power and I am sure is most likely the fastest if he could get to the track again and run the 30 lbs and juice. He has run that 9.99 back a couple months ago in the Florida Heat with the stock IRS. Buts that either here or there...Our buddy in Texas in running awesome too! If Pete had had a solid rear in there, I am sure he would be in the low 9's pretty easy. But he doesnt...so only time will tell. But this sure is fun!

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com
2003 Cobra (20 lbs of boost and Nitrous)

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Harry,
Put down the Pom poms...lol

Both cars are running great!

Richard 9.91, straight axle, Pete 9.99 on IRs.

Both recently ran great while throwing the belt at the 1000 ft mark!

I'm sure when they figure that out, they'll both go quite a bit faster.

I hope Pete can resist the urge to put in a straight axle. I really want to see how quick an '03 can go on the IRS.

IMHO, a straight axle is ruining the car and what it was intented for. I won't put one in to go faster. If eventually I need one because of reliability, I guess I might do it, but I won't be happy about it.

JT

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JT said:
Harry,

I hope Pete can resist the urge to put in a straight axle. I really want to see how quick an '03 can go on the IRS.

IMHO, a straight axle is ruining the car and what it was intented for. I won't put one in to go faster. If eventually I need one because of reliability, I guess I might do it, but I won't be happy about it.

JT
Definitely impressive times, all things considered. The '03 cobra is the best bang for your buck out there right now in the new car market ... doesn't take much to really get one going fast.

My friend was quite positive Pete was in the 8'[email protected] ... claiming he talked to Pete all the time and had videos and blah blah blah. I figured he was confusing pete's old 5.4 that he used to run in the pro 5.0 class ... but then again I am not entirely familiar with mustangs and what's been happening lately.

In any case thanks for the responses guys. Cool board you have here.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I wish I ran 8sec. My old car maby . 8.64 @ 160
but I ran 9.99 on 24lbs with 50 hp Nos
Then turned up the boost 30lb , With NO Nos and ran 10.00
I hope to run 9sec. with no Nos soon , We will see in Ill.
Paece
Richard is also runing good I know he went 9.91 But at 143 ? or better Mph ,. that is awsome ,
I guess he has the combo,. Cauz he called Nitro :)
nitro

G

·
LOL!! Seems like you just held your Pom poms pretty good too :D

This is one amazing car we all have. Definitely one that will go down in history as one of the best Mustangs ever.

Hot Rod(give me a 1....ok..I'm done)Harry :banggears

JT said:
Harry,

JT

·
Registered
438 Posts
JT said:

JT
I am curious as to what you mean by this statement??? Please explain how a staight axle will ruin this car??

Ben Dorn

·
Banned
2,034 Posts
I'll explain what he ment. The 03' Cobra comes with the IRS for a reason to be different and ride and handle better. I believe the Cobra is not quite a Cobra anymore without the IRS or the 6spd IMO. If you don't have the 2 it just isn't the same. You might as well go get a 5.0 coupe and put a Cobra motor in it and destroy any number a 03 with a solid axle would ever due. Since the weight difference is huge.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
F8LBITE said:
I'll explain what he ment. The 03' Cobra comes with the IRS for a reason to be different and ride and handle better. I believe the Cobra is not quite a Cobra anymore without the IRS or the 6spd IMO. If you don't have the 2 it just isn't the same. You might as well go get a 5.0 coupe and put a Cobra motor in it and destroy any number a 03 with a solid axle would ever due. Since the weight difference is huge.
Well said!

If all I wanted is to go fast, I would have started with a diffferent car.

I want it all, smooth, relatively quiet, nice handling, and quick!

JT

G

·
F8LBITE said:
Right on the money! I agree 100 %

A side note...did you know that the IRS takes more horsepower to turn the back wheels than a solid axle does.

Harry
http://members.aol.com/hotrodharrys/dragrace
2003 Cobra Dark Shadow Grey

·
Registered
209 Posts
I know I ain't breaking no records but I get 1.59 60 footers and with my power that's good enough for the mid-low 11's my car runs. If I ever wanted to get in the 10's, then I may look at it but I have no plans for that. I'm happy with it as long as I don't break anything. I have close to 150 passes on ET Streets.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
This is exactly what I got blasted for some 3 months ago. I made this statement. With the way people are modding these 03's, in a years time they will be no different than my 96 Cobra. Fact of the matter is, when you change tranny, rear end, suspension, seats, engine, fuel system etc, you have a customized Cobra that is exclusive to the parts of your choosing. I stand beside what I said, and in a years time, a few of these 03's will only be retaining 03 VIN numbers. I agree with what the others have said. When you change out the tranny and rear, you have basically changed Ford's choice of componants that make the 03 Cobra what it is. JMO

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hot Rod Harry said:
Right on the money! I agree 100 %

A side note...did you know that the IRS takes more horsepower to turn the back wheels than a solid axle does.

Harry
http://members.aol.com/hotrodharrys/dragrace
2003 Cobra Dark Shadow Grey
All of around 3-5 horsepower max.
Bob Cosby did before and after axle swap dyno's on his car with no other changes and saw very little difference.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I think a philosophical discussion may break out?

How many times has this happened to you.

You get a new Stang, it runs ok, but you want it a little faster and you start modding. As you mod, the car gets quicker and quicker, but it gets a little less streetable with each mod. Next thing you know, the car is nuts, and you decide to sell it.

Then you get a new Stang. When you get in it, you are amazed at how smooth and nice it is, but it's a little too slow, and then you start over!

That's what I am trying to avoid. right now, my car is as streetable as the day I bought it. I just put the pulley and exhaust on that it should have had from the factory!

JT

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
JT said:
I think a philosophical discussion may break out?

How many times has this happened to you.

You get a new Stang, it runs ok, but you want it a little faster and you start modding. As you mod, the car gets quicker and quicker, but it gets a little less streetable with each mod. Next thing you know, the car is nuts, and you decide to sell it.

Then you get a new Stang. When you get in it, you are amazed at how smooth and nice it is, but it's a little too slow, and then you start over!

That's what I am trying to avoid. right now, my car is as streetable as the day I bought it. I just put the pulley and exhaust on that it should have had from the factory!

JT
Exactly!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts