Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

I have been researching a great amount about converting my 98 mustang with an 04 GT SOHC 4.6 motor to a DOHC motor. The pondering came to me when my buddy picked up a 97 Cobra for 1100 bux, the car is a beautiful garage queen, but he has no money to work on it and it has a window in the block, hence the price.

Given the situation , I help the guy out with many things and I already got the 6 speed trans, but I am considering converting the heads, and doing the heads would require the intake and other misc stuff. From what I have read, heard and seen, I hear it is do-able. Although, I want to KNOW the troubles yet to come to convert to a DOHC. In other words, the block with everything was given to me. I need to know any troubles other people have run into.

In addition, my vette buddy had a Twin Turbo kit hes gonna kick down to me too for real cheap because the project wont work on his set up, so ideally, switching from SOHC heads to DOHC will lower the compression and improve the amount of boost I can run. ( I have heard from PI heads 9.1:1 to DOHC Cobra heads 8.5:1)

If anyone has done this project and has any information, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sean

·
Registered
492 Posts
you can it depends on what block you have. pretty sure u have to have a windsor block and not a romeo. and from 00' on they are all romeo for mustang blocks

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you plan on making some decent power the compression ratio from the swap shouldn't really matter. You're going to have to change the pistons anyway (along with the rods).

That swap has been done by more than a couple people and shouldn't be too difficult. What block you have shouldn't matter. There are a lot of misc. parts needed, but the heads will bolt up to any of the modular blocks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts