Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Poly mounts for the street, solids for a track car. If the cams have any decent amount of overlap/duration, a solid mount will make the whole car shake your body @ idle, and you will feel/hear more harmonics while driving.

·
Registered
401 Posts
My car has solid motor mounts, cams and is 99% street car and it is very smooth. It does rock the whole car a little bit at an idle but its hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel if the motor moves just a little bit, you are losing power to the rear wheels.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
You are not losing power to the rear wheels, just allowing a .007 second delay for the TQ to transfer from the engine to the drive train.

·
One bad 2v
1,579 Posts
Solid motor mounts do not cause the car to shake or vibrate any more then stock ones, anyone that says they do never had solid mounts.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Solid motor mounts do not cause the car to shake or vibrate any more then stock ones, anyone that says they do never had solid mounts.
I put solids in my fox. Had to take them out witin a week. They were NOT what I would call street "friendly" AT ALL...................... People need to start thinking realistically, about how much they would consider tolerable on the street.

Poly-urethane for me for life thank you very much.

·
2V powered
3,863 Posts
I cant see poly being different than solids at idle.
Back when my car was n/a with comp 270 cams and stock mounts my car rocked back and forth pretty good!

·
Registered
401 Posts
My car is super smooth and transfers zero harmonics. No one would ever know my car even had them if I didn't tell them. Almost everyone that has gone for a ride in my car says something about how smooth the car feels. I would recommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I put solids in my fox. Had to take them out witin a week. They were NOT what I would call street "friendly" AT ALL...................... People need to start thinking realistically, about how much they would consider tolerable on the street.

Poly-urethane for me for life thank you very much.
That's the thing though, people have very different ideas about what they think is streetable or too harsh for the street. You know I'd drive a top fuel car on the street if they'd let me, while some people are exactly the opposite.

I just picked up a set of solid mounts, we'll see how I like them

·
Registered
188 Posts
hmmmm I wonder if i should switch to solids while my motors out???? anyone have a link to where i can get some solids?

·
Registered
776 Posts
modulars are very smooth if built correctly and tuned correctly. Solid motor mounts get a bad rap on modulars because people will install solid mounts and a poly trans mount, which you absolutely should not do. I'd go so far as to say that you should never install a poly trans mount at all. You will break your transmission with one if you powershift or launch the car on slicks.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
will install solid mounts and a poly trans mount, which you absolutely should not do.
Don't you mean installing a solid transmission mount, and poly motor mount? A solid motor mount, and movable tranny mount has no ill affect.

·
Registered
776 Posts
No, I mean even a poly trans mount is too stiff with solid motor mounts. A solid trans mount is a no-no in any situation, even with a drag race style mid plate. Most bell housings just aren't that strong, and the cases usually aren't either.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
No, I mean even a poly trans mount is too stiff with solid motor mounts. A solid trans mount is a no-no in any situation, even with a drag race style mid plate. Most bell housings just aren't that strong, and the cases usually aren't either.
Well if the motor has a solid mount, it's not going to rotate, so having a poly tranny mount doesn't hurt a thing.

Having a solid tranny mount, and non-solid engine mount, is the big "No-No" because the engine will twist, while the tranny is mounted solid.

I think your just mixed up.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Well if the motor has a solid mount, it's not going to rotate, so having a poly tranny mount doesn't hurt a thing.

Having a solid tranny mount, and non-solid engine mount, is the big "No-No" because the engine will twist, while the tranny is mounted solid.

I think your just mixed up.
some poly mounts ARE basically solid. Polyurethane is formulated with different firmness and strength properties for various applications. Some polyurethan is soft like using for bumpstops, but some polyurethane is hard like a rock

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
some poly mounts ARE basically solid. Polyurethane is formulated with different firmness and strength properties for various applications. Some polyurethan is soft like using for bumpstops, but some polyurethane is hard like a rock
Regardless, if there's a SOLID mount at the motor, a rubber/poly tranny mount is fine. This is how 98% of people set it up when going to a solid motor mount!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF are you guys missing here?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts