Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am having trouble finding any poly or solid transmission mounts for my 09 mustang gt with the tr3650.

I noticed there is a solid insert for the stock mount but is said to be only compatible with the 2011+ models even though the mount itself looks to be the same excluding the opening for the center bolt from the cross member to my transmission.

Could I take that insert and just cut a hole so the bolt would fit through or would I be better off looking at welding some thick plates to the mount so it won't be slopping anymore because I can't find any polyurethane mounts either.

·
Registered
215 Posts
it is never a good idea to make a ridgid connection between the trans and vehicle structure. if it is done all output torque will be transfered through that mount to the chassis instead of through the motor mounts, well almost all of it, whatever movement from deflection-stretch-strain it has will go to the motor mounts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Understandable. My end goal is to make my transmission reliably shift and so far I can't find a shifter that would mount to the transmission and don't want to risk anything permanent making a custom one, so I figured I would make the transmission more in place as I already have poly motor mounts.

And I don't plan on pushing any more power than what I can make N/A including cams when I save up for those but I need the underlaying issue resolved. And so far I can't find anyone that would install that upgraded synchro kit from tremec.

(I know it's a lot but just trying to get somewhere. So far I tried Lucas stop slip and it has fixed 95 percent of my shifting but of course that is temporary)

·
Administrator
9,679 Posts
Listen to what Ashford is telling you. If you solid mount the tailshaft you will break it off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah... Definitely list to Ashford on this one, lol. Literally just got through trashing my old tr3650 and installing a remanufactured but slightly modded one from these guys https://reman-transmission.com/transmission-codes/?code=TR3650. Why did I have to replace it at 87k miles you might ask? Solid trans mounts... lol
Ok. Well what about polyurethane mounts like they have available for the 99-04 mustang 5 speed manuals but of course those are different tr3650's so the mounts that are available for those mustangs won't work for mine. Would I need to make a custom mold to make mine or just better to replace it with a new factory one and figure out my shifter situation.

·
Administrator
9,679 Posts
Do yourself a favor and buy an OEM Ford piece. It is engineered to support the transmission without damaging the transmission.

If you have shifting issues buy a shifter replacement that cures the problem or buy a later model Tremec that offers improved shifting, a TKX perhaps. Alternatively, if you do not want to spend the monies, accept the shift quality as is or replace the car. Breaking the transmission does not solve any problems for you other than forcing you to a replacement transmission that you will presumably choose based on improving shift quality.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok. Well what about polyurethane mounts like they have available for the 99-04 mustang 5 speed manuals but of course those are different tr3650's so the mounts that are available for those mustangs won't work for mine. Would I need to make a custom mold to make mine or just better to replace it with a new factory one and figure out my shifter situation.
Not sure what to tell you about the poly mounts but @eschaider has the right idea, my advice is to go with the factory mounts and save your money for other mods that are worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts