Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tuned 2 sunday, there was another guy that ran his with a different chip. here's where they landed with modificaitons:

1st 2003.
Completley stock plus drop in K&N Filter.
Base: 376RWHP / 369RWTQ
Tuned: 395RWHP / 392RWTQ with 12.1:1 A/F

2nd 2003
Stock with Conical K&N and bassani Exhaust
Base: 390.1RWHP / 374RWTQ
Tuned: 407RWHP / 385RWHP 12.2:1 a/f

3rd one
He had no cats, a 2.8" pulley, the densecharger, and someone's autologic tune. It made 431RWHP, I don't remember the TQ.

I've notices that the 2.8" pulleys seem to make a little less HP at the dyno than the 2.93's. Anyone notice that?

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Nice #'s

I have a friend here who put down 429whp w/ 2.93 and JDM chip. Maybe an intake but im not sure. Makes me wonder about the 2.8's.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Nice info and comparisons, but that 2.80 pullied car seems sick to me.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The HP differences on a 2.80 vs 2.93 pullied car are minimal on the dyno. However you do see a torque difference between the 2. I think the key thing to consider is that the 2.80 pullied car only had an offroad x. If he did not replace the catback, then he is killing the real benefits of the 2.80 pulley.

Many people think that the cats are the restrictive part, when in fact the cat-back is much more restrictive and should be replaced before the cats. I think this has been proven time and time again with various cars still running the stock h-pipe and putting up killer numbers.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That is still way too low for a 2.8 pulley. Did you happen to the use the stock belt? You are probably loosing so much boost. Definately a waste of a tune. Get idler pulley, 74 inch belt, and a retune asap. :D Oh and a jlp CAI.. What mid pipe were you using?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same dyno:

Bone stock: 352.7hp, 354.2lbs-ft

+PHP CAI, PHP Inlet, Accufab TB, Bassani X/cats, 2.93 pulley, chip: 417.7hp, 449.7lbs-ft

+Bassani cat back (same tune): 453.9hp, 474.3lbs-ft

dataangel

·
Registered
309 Posts
dataangel said:
Same dyno:

Bone stock: 352.7hp, 354.2lbs-ft

+PHP CAI, PHP Inlet, Accufab TB, Bassani X/cats, 2.93 pulley, chip: 417.7hp, 449.7lbs-ft

+Bassani cat back (same tune): 453.9hp, 474.3lbs-ft

dataangel
Dataangel,

That was the reason for my earlier post. Many people install an x-pipe or h-pipe before the cat-back, and I still do not see the reasoning behind this. Your HP and TQE numbers remained low until you installed the cat-back. I still run the factory h-pipe and have similar numbers, so I still don't think the factory h is as restrictive as one might think.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The cat back is a huge restriction: no doubt.

The stock cats are no picnic either: high flow cats are important for making power.

dataangel

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ohh I agree that 431 is pretty weak for a 2.8" pulley. But he should have left the cats alone and worked on the exhaust behind the cats first. He would have seen a larger gain.

Plus he was running someone elses tune. IMO there was room to gain maybe 10hp there.

I've seen 03's with catback, the 2.93", the air filter, and a tune make 450 - 468RWHP. Seems like the 2.8" makes a little less HP, but I didn't really look at torque. It would make sense that the smaller pulley would have more torque, I've seen that exact same thing with Super Coupes. Even though HP is less, torque is better. Sometime I'll try to do a direct comparison with two cars and we can compare the whole curves.

Brian

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Pauls TB and Inlet works great...
I dynoed it and it made 12rwhp and 9ft lbs over Stock setup..
I liked the return spring and braket also..
nice setup..

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
JT said:
My last pull was 489 std, with the Paul's, through the factory H-pipe, 2.93 upper.

JT
489 YOUSER,,,!!
:D

DAT's a lot of Power,,Looks like your PHP TB works..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts