Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Mustang GT with a just exhaust. I'm going to invest in a Vortech Supercharger w/ Aftercooler as soon as I get done with the 36k miles warranty.

I've never really modded anything on my car. I have heard stories of people blowing up their engine and I would like to know how to make sure it doesn't happen. I am going to be breaking the bank when I get blown ($5kish w/ installation) so a new engine is out of the question. All I'm shooting for is mid 12's until I'm done with the GT and will move onto a new cobra. I heard that the GT engine isn't as strong as the cobra engine, so my question is how much RWHP would i be *safe* with? Is getting mid 12's totally out of the question on a GT engine without forged internals or anything that you would do to build up the strength of the block?

Anyway I'm really stupid when it comes to engines, I would definitely appreciate some good advice, I hear this is the best place to get it.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
make sure you get a good dyno tune.....i have a 98 gt had steeda do the install and they dyno'd it and retuned the computer from the dyno results to get the most our of the system and keep it safe as so i didnt blow my motor......after doing the vortech..depending on how i launched...someone that has a lot of practice at the track should be able to pull anywhere from mid to high 12's with mine...i havent run the car yet..so i cant answer that...but from my horsepower to weight numbers...the numbers fall into that category

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So have you done any strength-increasing things to your engine or is it pretty much same as it was the day you bought it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
i am assuming you mean the heads/pistons etc......no i havent yet as funds for that are quite expensive.......my next set of mods will be 99 heads, bullit upper lower intake, and i am not sure what pistons or cam i will be going with yet........also wont be do anything to the motor like that until i can do it all at once.....this way the motor doesnt have to be opened alot....i figure once i have the funds to do all that might as well do it all at once.....

mine is my daily driver for now.....i am only running 8psi of boost...this week i am putting steedas power pipe on shoul bring me to 10psi(or at least up to)....and that is about as much as the stock motor can handle safely without stengthening it.....

i am not that hard on the car.....sometimes i am but overall i keep it low keyed....i also lowered my shift point by 400 rpm to ensure i didnt hit redline and the limiter so i figure with my reaction time to when i see the shift light to when my body actually goes through the motions i am about where steeda set me at to shift from there tune they set me at 5600, i put the 5200 pill in the shift light

I dont know if you did anything to rear end yet either...but you might want to consider gears i am using 3.73, alot of hardcore racers out there are using 4.10's and 4.30's..to high for me....for srteet driving...gas isnt cheap..also remember once supercharger is installed must use highest level of octane available in your area for it is 93octane

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The Steeda tune has become very popular.They reflash your computer(no chip)new injectors,new 80mm maf,new Vortech Strim,new fuel pumps..People are seeing 390- 400rwp with this kit and a aftermarket exhaust.

you can see it here.

www.modularfordpowerhouse.com

Steeda sells it for $4300.I sell it for $3650 plus shipping.

I made 465rwhp on a stock bottomend before my car turned drag queen..Never hurt a thing,but Higgins tuned it very well.

Tim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cobra Killer - Is there no need for a dyno tune with the steeda reflashed computer?

·
Registered
23 Posts
After the install I would take it to the dyno and test the a/f numbers if you have one near you. All cars are different and your car might be 12.0 and another car with exact setup can have 13.0. Whether you do a dynotune, mail order chip or reflash, make sure you test the a/f ratio. I wouldnt trust anyones opinion on your ratio unless you see it yourself, especially with stock internals.
Hope that helps

thanks

Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
Unless you want a light show,dont get the autometer gauge. Its good to tell if your around 14.7:1 when cruising around town. But when you go WOT, its very inaccurate. You need a wideband to judge it yourself correctly. But most of these are very expensive.
thanks

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts