Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what to gap my plugs at. I have a turbo set up so I decided to go with the Ford Racing plugs that are one heat range colder but, it seems to me that .054 might blow out. So, I was wondering what do the guys that have superchargers or turbos set their plugs at?:hmm:

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have an '05 with a Procharger. The guys at Dynospeedracing in Memphis , Tn. set mine at .030. I could tell a little difference from the stock plugs and gap vs. the colder plug and gap just from driving, which I thought was signifigant. They said a larger gap would "blow out" the spark, which is more of a longivity than performance issue but hey it all costs money right.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I am wondering what to gap my plugs at. I have a turbo set up so I decided to go with the Ford Racing plugs that are one heat range colder but, it seems to me that .054 might blow out. So, I was wondering what do the guys that have superchargers or turbos set their plugs at?:hmm:
they will blow out, mine are gapped at .028, whipple at 12.6lbs

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
@ 10lbs mine were .035 now @ 12lbs they are .025

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for your help. I am only running 8# of boost so I will try .030 and close it down to .025 if needed. How will I know? Will it miss under boost? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Thanks guys for your help. I am only running 8# of boost so I will try .030 and close it down to .025 if needed. How will I know? Will it miss under boost? Thanks again.
it'll run rough from my experience

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Can I jump in on this thread and ask what gap for mine...ordered some ford racing HTO to go with my whipple. I have the HTO's now (dont remember the gap) that came with the kit. I have 40k on them and im about to swap the 10psi pully to a 12 and add 52lb injectors. SO what kind of gap?

·
Registered
715 Posts
.025 to .028

I run .025 @ 15PSI

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Now is it correct that you can make the gap less but you can not make it more...like if you go to far you need a new plug?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Now is it correct that you can make the gap less but you can not make it more...like if you go to far you need a new plug?
Correct. The electrode strap is sooooo strong that there really isnt anything you can pry against that will open it back up. Also the tip is very small so you wouldnt want anything to touch that other than a feeler guage...

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Gotcha...i'll start then at .28. I have the PMP gap tool so it should be easy....

So what should I look for if the .28gap isnt right...it will run roff...like a lot ruff. Since I have the BMR K member with motor mounts I feel everything from the motor...I should be able to feel if its not right...right lol. It will also be on a dyno shortly after...so I guess we would be able to see issues there too?

·
Registered
715 Posts
So you will start to get whats called blow out.

The power will start to break up at a certain boost/rpm. It will feel like it noses over, and you will get a rich reading. Power will level out.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
So you will start to get whats called blow out.

The power will start to break up at a certain boost/rpm. It will feel like it noses over, and you will get a rich reading. Power will level out.
Cool...good to be rich when that happens to I guess...im pushing the stock block to 12psi...dont want to go lean lol:scare:

So what hapenes if the gap is too small? Other than needing some lube hahaha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts