Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i was playing around with the predator doing some datalogging. I had my stock tune and under the SPRKADVANCE it was reading like 21 degrees "sparkadvance" all the way to redline. With the " Performance Tune" loaded it would read 28 degrees all the way through. what i dont understand is. Is this TOTAL timing. Which im guessing if it is saying 28 it means 18 degrees advanced? Im a little confused on this since i logged my friends Bullitt today with a Vortech and a Steeda tune. The sparkadvance read 14-15 degrees all the way through where as mine was 28. Thats a hell of alot of timing isnt it? Or am i looking at this the wrong way?

Dave

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
Stock upper rpm timing on a Cobra is around 21/22 degrees under load, as you saw. The problem with the factory calibration is that the timing in the lower rpms is LOW, which will start off around 8/9 degrees after a low rpm WOT stab and work its way up to around 22 in the upper rpms and up to redline. This low timing in the lower rpms on the factory calibration is what gives the cars the "boggy" feeling. From just off idle up to around 5k, there's 30 to 40 rwtq to gain with proper tuning.

As for the timing that you're experiencing with the Predator, DiabloSport is aware of this, and they are looking into it. I will keep everyone updated with new information as I am given it.

Sincerely...

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Damn and my tune is designated a "race tune" with right at 26 degrees, I can see why some people are hearing detonation with the predator if some of their timing is 28 total, now that is a bunch of timing.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No detonation with me. I run 93 and its about 40-50 degrees here.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Yes but you dont have a pulley, the ones I have heard complain of it have had a 2.93 pulley, and it makes sense with a 2.93 and 28degrees of timing it would almost def. require race gas.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the performance tune which is the tune for a slightly modified car has 28 degrees. Im not sure what the pulley tune has in it for timing on the predator. Maybe RWTD can chime in and tell us

Dave

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
Juiced46 said:
Well the performance tune which is the tune for a slightly modified car has 28 degrees. Im not sure what the pulley tune has in it for timing on the predator. Maybe RWTD can chime in and tell us
Dave, I have found there to be 3 to 4 degrees less overall timing in the Pulley tune, and, honestly, I don't think you will see any less than 5 rwhp between the two tunes on stock boosted cars, IMHO. If anyone is concerned about their timing, please use the end-user option on the Predator that allows you to adjust your timing. Lowering it to -10% will lower the timing approx. 2 to 3 degrees across the board at WOT, and you will notice this through the diagnostics that it does work.

I'm leaving this Sunday, taking that nice trip down to DiabloSport from Mobile, AL, to Delray Beach, FL. I will have my BONE STOCK '03 Cobra there, and we will test/tune, then we will throw on the Magnaflow catted X-pipe and catback, and retest/retune, then we will throw on the intake kit and retest/retune, and then we will throw on a Steeda 2.80" upper pulley along with the Steeda Idler system, and retest/retune. I will be there helping, naturally, as it is my car, and I definitely do NOT want anything happening to it, especially being that I have to drive 9 hours to do this, LOL! I will keep you all informed of the outcome, and what this will mean for my customers.

Very Kind Regards...

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks james. Im curious to see the results you get. Let us know how it goes

Dave

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
Mike Wesley said:
Which day are you dyno'ing?
I will be there from Monday to Saturday. I'll stop by and watch.
Mike, that would be great, please do! I think it'll probably be on Monday or Tuesday, most likely. It'll probably span over a couple of days, however. I'll get Johan to call you, if you are over at the other facility, so you'll know about what time.

This is gonna be fun! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts