Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 cobra 600 rwhp , spec 3+ slipping off launch and in 4th gear this only happens at the track does not happen on the street when on the street i can even turn the bottle on and it does not slip. (time for a new clutch) . im dissapointed as i ran this clutch in my fox body that ran 9.60 no problems. has anybody had this problem ?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Did you do the break in as recommended? Have you marked the tires to make sure that they are not turning slipping on the rims?

My Spec 3 has more rwhp running through it and definatley does not slip.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Are you smelling it or just feeling and listening to it in the car? I went through the exact same thing you're describing. It seems the burnout is heating something up. We put a heat wrap around my 2nd or 3rd cable. That seemed to help a little but it still acted up. I then finally found out that a Steeda cable was supposed to be better. I couldn't believe it but I put it in and it still doesn't feel perfect but it hasn't acted up since. The car would not do this on the street and we never smelled clutch. You could feel it in the pedal though.

Maybe that's it. It's something to look at and I've heard of a few more with similar problems with our cars.

Also I drove around on a Sunday for almost 7 hours in downtown Louisville pretty much breaking it in. So that wasn't a factor. Cramped legs yes, but improperly broken in clutch no.

·
Demented and old
5,322 Posts
i put my spec3 + in and did a proper break in-under the hard boost of 26 pds from the 3.4 it started slipping at bowling green-you could smell it:mad2:

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Just datalog it. RPMs should equal output shaft speed in 4th. My stock clutch slips about 400 rpms on the dyno from 4700 and up. Not as bad at the track, but it still slips some in 4th.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replies . dont get me wrong the clutch will hold the power. i have been 11.2 at 127 with a 1.9 60ft lol ... but if i launch hard or power shift it slips and if i spray its a joke. I think im going twin as of now with a solid rear .

·
Registered
322 Posts
All the 9 and 10 second 6 speed cars that I know run SPEC's and I don't know anyone who has a slipping problem until they have run maybe 50+ passes at the track with 700+ rwhp. I goota think there are some installation or break in issues.

As far as I can remember the break in is 500 miles in mixed driving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.