Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the muffler shop. The fit and finish of the Spintech catback is great. Its pretty loud, since I opted for the Pro Shootout mufflers.

I still have the stock H-pipe, and it sounds great. It's alot louder than I expected it to be.

So far my car is stock with the exception of this catback now. It feels stronger in the higher RPMS, but seems to have killed some of the low end torque. Perhaps this 2.93 pulley will cure it. :evil

Here is a comparison picture of the stock catback and the new Spintech catback.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ya, LOUD is the key word here. Gary (svtyballz) took me for a ride and that frocker was scary sounding. Big difference in it vs any bassini,magnaflow, borla Ive heard. Enjoy, I'm sure your neighbors will:shocked

jason

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, LOUD it is. I can only imagine what SVTyBallz sounds like, he has long tubes and no cats.

I'm having second thoughts about the loudness, LOL

Now that I have driven the car around, I have noticed a significant decrease in the torqueyness. I am assuming this is normal. The car seems to have no sort of backpressure what so ever. Will a high flowing catback like this possibly cause the car to be alot richer? I remember when Jimmy V installed headers, his tune was off.

Any ideas? Car feels about the same in the high RPMS, but down low, its not as strong as before.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Eric,

Did you read my exhaust install story in the last issue of 5.0? I was rather disappointed with the loss of boost and low end torque even though the PEAK power numbers went up. First mods should be CAI, pulley and chip in my book.

Jamie

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dr. Jamie Meyer said:
Eric,

Did you read my exhaust install story in the last issue of 5.0? I was rather disappointed with the loss of boost and low end torque even though the PEAK power numbers went up. First mods should be CAI, pulley and chip in my book.

Jamie
I must have missed it, have not bought any mags in a while. I actually planed to do all my mods at once, but my chip has yet to arrive, nor has the pulley puller.

·
Pushrod Dinosaur
1,006 Posts
Eric Brooks said:
..................... nor has the pulley puller.
sheeeeeeeeesh damn Tifton residents sure are impatient..............LMAO.

pssssssssssssssst: Fedex thurs delivery.

gary

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I installed an offroad X and Catback and my car felt sick with stock boost, had no bottom end at all!! If I had it to do over I would have pullied it and chipped it before anything else was done! These cars need some backpressure, I have even thought about putting my stock cats back on and see how the car runs??

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah, these cars to enjoy some backpressure.
After I installed my Bassani headers I noticed that I was starting to get some hesitation durring cold start-up. The car would spit and spudder until you reached 2500 RPMS then it would be ok. When I went to get it re-tuned on the dyno we noticed that the a/f was below 10:1 all the way across the RPM range we were measured. My old tuned was set at 11.9:1 all the way across and all I had was a 3" x-pipe without cats and 3" cat-back, 2.8" pulley and the Densecharger CAI. Then I took out the 3" set-up and put in the Bassani catted x-pipe and catback, headers and Billetflow TB.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
I have a pretty nice set up.

magnaflow catted X pipe
magnaflow catback with Spintech mufflers, same as above...

it is really loud. I know these cars like backpressure that is why after the KB is installed I will opt for shorty headers to keep the tq up as most kb cars are lacking tq but making good hp numbers.

·
Registered
453 Posts
changing mufflers

hello, i know this thread was quite awhile ago but, i also have the magnaflow catted x pipe and magnaflow catback and though i like it, i wanted a little louder. i then decided to put in 2 chamber flowmaster mufflers on the magnaflow catback and it sounds like shit! everyone told me how the flows would be lounder and there not... sound quieter and like crap. which leads me to my question... do you like the spintechs? i heard a clip of them on a 5.0 and it sounded awesome! sooo mean sounding. do they sound that good on the cobras... thanks for any help you could give me. erik

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sorry to resurrect (sp) this from the dead again... but I have been on a quest for a great sounding exhaust to my ears of course.
I have tried:
resonators (like slp) welded in stock exhaust- too quiet
stingers- stock h-best, o/r mrt h-awful, catted mrt h-nice tone too much pop, upr o/r X-awful, upr catted X-2nd to stock H
magnaflow- with catted mrt h (current)- not mean enough
I have heard in person:
mac 3in. w/ o/r X- way too raspy
borla XR1 race w/ o/r X- raspy and popping too much
Bassani CB w/ bassani catted X- great sound but I have found that I don't like X pipes
magnaflow w/ stock h- way too quiet
I have searched and heard every exhaust that I could find online and in person. Sometime I really miss my dad's old 5.0 with dynomax super turbos. I think spintechs are next on the list.

·
SLEEP!
3,414 Posts
Sonic_Snake03 said:
Sorry to resurrect (sp) this from the dead again... but I have been on a quest for a great sounding exhaust to my ears of course.
I have tried:
resonators (like slp) welded in stock exhaust- too quiet
stingers- stock h-best, o/r mrt h-awful, catted mrt h-nice tone too much pop, upr o/r X-awful, upr catted X-2nd to stock H
magnaflow- with catted mrt h (current)- not mean enough
I have heard in person:
mac 3in. w/ o/r X- way too raspy
borla XR1 race w/ o/r X- raspy and popping too much
Bassani CB w/ bassani catted X- great sound but I have found that I don't like X pipes
magnaflow w/ stock h- way too quiet
I have searched and heard every exhaust that I could find online and in person. Sometime I really miss my dad's old 5.0 with dynomax super turbos. I think spintechs are next on the list.
So I gotta ask - why is it that important? I mean, that's a lot of exhausts to try just to get a particular sound from a car....

BTW - I thought Eric pulled these and had them for sale for the longest time....

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Yep I'm like you looking for that perfect sound. I was also thinking of going to a Spintech Muffler with a Pro Street muffler. I don't really care to be loud, just the right sound. I used to have their setup on my 93 Cobra and I loved it.

00SVTdubs- Do you happen to have a sound clip and what mufflers do you have?

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I had the quieter Spintech GT catback for about a year and it did sound nice with a Bassani catted X, a bit on the quiet side. The only thing I didn't like was that it wasn't stainless and started rusting on day 1. Sorry, no sound clip.

Bill

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had spintechs on my gt and they where loud and nasty. A good kind of nasty too i loved the sound of them. Now i have flows and they suck i mean i like them but i like car alarm setting off loud. So i think i may weld up some spintechs and cut off the flows. Also where would i be able to buy spintechs i looked on the web and couldn't find them can anyone help me out here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts