Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Speed of Sound LLC plans to release our new center armrest switch panels within days, adding to our options for mounting switches in a clean, neat installation in your cars. For more info on those parts, please see this thread:

http://www.modularfords.com/showthread.php?t=123778

These armrest panels will provide another option our existing 01-04 radio area panels for those who have single DIN radios or radio deletes in track-only cars. Those are found here:

http://www.speedofsoundllc.com/01-04 switch panels.html

In the past few days, I've been finalizing a few prototypes of another design concept I've been kicking around. I *really* like this concept, and hope to get some feedback from you about it.

Here's a few shots taken today in a 2003 Cobra, thanks to my friends at Dynospeed Racing:

Here's a couple close-ups of the part out of the car:

This concept means you lose a cupholder, so I know it won't be for everyone. The radio panel or armrest panel should be considered options if you can't part with your favorite beverage.

Quite a few people expressed their concern over passengers messing with their switches, or accidentally arming something themselves. The inlaid cover will keep this from happening, and even protect the switches from all but the nastiest spills. Not waterproof, but very resistant.

The cover snaps tight, like a lego. A fingernail groove at the top allows you to easily remove it, and place the cover in the armrest, glovebox, or up in the sunvisor while the switches are in use.

The top cover plate can be engraved, although this prototype was left plain. Our brushed silver finish could also be used, and the covers could be swapped around if you wanted to change the look of the part. I'm working through this idea, as we're probably a couple months from full-production on this.

Pricing? Should be VERY competitive with the "normal" panels on the market today, even with custom engraving for the switch functions/etc.

Any questions, comments or suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks,

Alan @ SOS

·
Registered
163 Posts
Oh Hell Yeah this looks awesome!! Alan you definitely have outdone yourself with this one. I couldn't wait to see this after getting off the phone with you!

·
Blower Whine Junkie
618 Posts
I like the cupholder bezel, looks very clean. I'm not sure on the cover honestly, but I like the thinking behind it. I might be tempted to switch from the cupholder bezel I use now for the nitrous.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I like the cupholder bezel, looks very clean. I'm not sure on the cover honestly, but I like the thinking behind it. I might be tempted to switch from the cupholder bezel I use now for the nitrous.
When I made one without a cover, everyone wanted some way to cover the switches. :dunno2:

Perhaps this setup may be more to your liking:

I could build them either way, or both for that matter. That's what this thread is for. Your feedback is critical to ensure we do a job that pleases as many as we can.

Oh Hell Yeah this looks awesome!! Alan you definitely have outdone yourself with this one. I couldn't wait to see this after getting off the phone with you!
Told ya I had a curve ball to throw at you! LOL

·
Registered
649 Posts
That looks really nice, is it possible to get that cover in anyother color than black and silver?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That looks really nice, is it possible to get that cover in anyother color than black and silver?
What do you have in mind? Those are the materials I have in great quantity, but I can source plenty of other options. I imagine I could even use carbon fiber, albeit at quite a bit more expense.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I was thinking something to match or look correct in a torch red car. Carbon fiber would be sick, especially if you could do what JLT is doing and do colored carbon fiber.

·
Registered
163 Posts
:mad2:

Now which one to get, I'm so torn now!!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking something to match or look correct in a torch red car. Carbon fiber would be sick, especially if you could do what JLT is doing and do colored carbon fiber.
The work JLT is doing with the colored weave looks great. I could get in touch with Jay and see if he could help with this, or if it's feasible. Different panel covers (so people can change/swap/etc) is something I have in mind, and will explore the options further.

:mad2:

Now which one to get, I'm so torn now!!
Told you I'm good like that! :bigwink:

One last pic for now, a test piece I made right before I called it a day. This panel has NO switches installed, just a light source at the bottom of the cupholder (LEDs). Looks kind of cool, but I'm going to have to work on a "correct" lighting method if this idea pushes forward. This was just me having some fun with the prototype.

·
Registered
649 Posts
That looks cool, you should find a way to light emblems with the leds from the switches!!

·
Senior Citizen Member
5,058 Posts
This stuff really, really looks neat and professional. Great job, dude !!

Hhmmm... of course, I keep muh cigars in that holder. D'oh !

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
Awesome looking product Alan. I know we've spoken about this project a few times but finally seeing it makes me appreciate ten times more.

Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
looks great Alan.

BTW, what if we wanted to change the location of the switch names? (trbo vnm<runs and hides)

j/j man, I actually think the location of the different switches is perfect. momentary up front and armed in the back part. I guess great minds think alike(cover removal) :beerchug:

can't wait to install it. do you think you can send me a file showing your logo engraved to see what it would look like? I really would like that as well for the lid. I will send over those other files I have to see if they work for you.

and here you thought you weren't going to make this and it wouldn't be that popular. I bet you will have plenty of requests for it.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks John, Jared, Jason, Ratt Fink and the rest of you for the encouraging words! :tip: I'm trying very hard to make these things the best I can. They still need some work, but I'm hoping the finished product is going to be among our best yet.

That looks cool, you should find a way to light emblems with the leds from the switches!!
I haven't tried this yet, but am also curious about this. That's why I made the SVT emblem inlay, so Jason can try it out.

Today in the shop, I fiddled around with some drawings and made a purely cosmetic piece. Too bad I can't market this one, due to licensing issues. :mad2: Oh well, it's cool to look at anyway!

Thanks again for the feedback. It's very helpful to learn your thoughts and opinions as I continue to tweak this design.

-Alan

·
Registered
649 Posts
That does look sweet!! Yeah to bad you can't sell that one, you wouldnt be able to keep it in stock. As an idea could you do a "line" of LEDs between the top and bottom switches to light up that terminator cover? If you could you could put the labels of the switches above the front/top switches and below the back/bottom switches.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That does look sweet!! Yeah to bad you can't sell that one, you wouldnt be able to keep it in stock. As an idea could you do a "line" of LEDs between the top and bottom switches to light up that terminator cover? If you could you could put the labels of the switches above the front/top switches and below the back/bottom switches.
Thanks.

The whole illuminated thing is not really my top priority, even though it is cool to look at. As I build more prototypes, I'll experiment with some lighting options. Right now, getting the fit/finish just right on the ones shown in post #1 is my main focus.

The engraving is currently on top of the front row and below the back row. This allows the best fit, without the text looking jumbled together in the middle.

Right now, I'm just playing with CAD and my machines, and seeing what comes out!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts