Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's. Just sunk a bunch of money into the stang and am upset. Hopefully this is gonna be an easy fix, but i doubt it. :( Got a 1998 Mustang gt with a stroked 281(302) with a supercharger. Tremec trans. Just installed a Ram dual disc clutch and a Quick Time scatershield bell (Quick Time said no need to dial indicate). Got it all back together and now the starter grinds when just releaseing the key after car starts. Figured i would try a good powermaster starter and now it's worse. :( I really don't think you can shim a mod motor starter, can you? Any idea's greatly appreciated!

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
lol. Forget it. I took the starter off. Drilled the bolt holes to 3/8 holes. Used grinder to grind the part of the starter nose that centers the starter in the block plate on the outer half of the nose. Bamn, fixed. Hope this helps someone else with this same problem in the future. Cannot imagine i will be the only one with the problem.

· Registered
2 Posts
i am having the same problem as you are! i tried drilling the bolt holes out on the starter but no luck. The part that you grinded on the starter nose, is that on the very outer part on the nose cone? or actually on the machined part by the bolt holes where the starter fits in the block plate? thanks for any help!

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am having the same problem as you are! i tried drilling the bolt holes out on the starter but no luck. The part that you grinded on the starter nose, is that on the very outer part on the nose cone? or actually on the machined part by the bolt holes where the starter fits in the block plate? thanks for any help!
Ok. I was gonna come on and ad to the fix. I was still experiencing a very slight grind. I ended up taking the starter back off and enlarging the bolt holes to 7/16. With that, it starts perfect every time. Yes, grind the part of the starter that indexes it to the block plate. Ya only gotta grind about 60% around the part of the starter that will allow you to move the starter away from the ring gear. Hope that makes sense to ya. Let me know if ya have any other questions. I knew this was gonna be an ongoing problem with these bell housings! I would say that they got the hole in the block plate in the wrong place by just thousandths! I called them and they said we have not such a problem. lol, ya right. :censored:

· Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I ended up shaving the backside of the snout and enlarging the holes and mines works great now too. mine was barely hangin up so i knew it was only a couple thousands off. Crazy how most of those have that problem. they told me the same thing on the phone that they have never heard of that problem lol! oh well . thanks again for your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.