Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Steeda 2013 Mustang GT - CAI & Tune Dyno Results & Pics

17048 Views 19 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  dpbbf

With the 2013 Mustang rated at 8 more horsepower from the factory it baselined slightly higher than other cars we have done. Thanks to the higher baseline numbers the spread from stock to cold air and tune is a little less but still very good and worth the investment. Maybe with exhaust work you may see a little more than previous cars but even then we think the 2013's will remain comparable to the 2011-12's in their final numbers as was the case here.

Peak to peak gains achieved are 33 horsepower, with max point to point gains of 36 horsepower. Torque gains peak to peak were 24 ft/lbs with point to point gains of as much as 32ft/lbs.

Final numbers are 405.72 horsepower and 384.02 ft/lbs of torque.

Dyno sheet:
See less See more
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
We tested in back to back runs at Cecil, the Steeda CAI and tune against the stock airbox and sct tune and results were the same. 12.14 and 12.14 with a stock auto '11 GT. just saying.
I wonder if the Steeda cold kit would pick up over the Airraid or JLT with my Paxton.
I wonder if the Steeda cold kit would pick up over the Airraid or JLT with my Paxton.
IMO I think those are all the same in terms of ET improvement. Might want to check with Fred at Evolution or call Paxton and see what they say.
I'm still not sold on cai's If someone did dyno runs with hood shut back to back that would convince me.
We tested in back to back runs at Cecil, the Steeda CAI and tune against the stock airbox and sct tune and results were the same. 12.14 and 12.14 with a stock auto '11 GT. just saying.
We have seen mixed reports in the field on performance gains on automatics. Our testing came up with about a tenth, and others have too, but others have not. It is hard to quantify especially since the gain over the stock airbox is typically only about 10 horsepower and only above 4,000 RPM.

With a heavier car like today's 5.0L, even 10hp would be hard to translate into a measureable gain when the margin is so tight so I'm not surprised we see mixed results. It is something we have just come to accept as a manufacturer. It is what it is.

I'm still not sold on cai's If someone did dyno runs with hood shut back to back that would convince me.
We can't accurately simulate going down the road and air coming through the bumper scoop to bring the air charge temps down to above ambient, so we just dyno with the hood open to achieve the same effect, which is near ambient air charge temps. It is a valid way to conduct it, however some people disagree with it. It is what it is.
We have seen mixed reports in the field on performance gains on automatics. Our testing came up with about a tenth, and others have too, but others have not. It is hard to quantify especially since the gain over the stock airbox is typically only about 10 horsepower and only above 4,000 RPM.

With a heavier car like today's 5.0L, even 10hp would be hard to translate into a measureable gain when the margin is so tight so I'm not surprised we see mixed results. It is something we have just come to accept as a manufacturer. It is what it is.

We can't accurately simulate going down the road and air coming through the bumper scoop to bring the air charge temps down to above ambient, so we just dyno with the hood open to achieve the same effect, which is near ambient air charge temps. It is a valid way to conduct it, however some people disagree with it. It is what it is.[/QUOTE
i understand.
We can't accurately simulate going down the road and air coming through the bumper scoop to bring the air charge temps down to above ambient, so we just dyno with the hood open to achieve the same effect, which is near ambient air charge temps. It is a valid way to conduct it, however some people disagree with it. It is what it is.[/QUOTE
i understand.
Thats where i call bull**** the only reason you cant get ambient air temps down is because aftermarket cai's suck hot air from under the hood and not thru the grill. and it is what it is...

Do a back to back hood down dyno run and if you get 10hp more i'll buy it...
Thats where i call bull**** the only reason you cant get ambient air temps down is because aftermarket cai's suck hot air from under the hood and not thru the grill. and it is what it is...

Wow..that is to the point.
don't get me wrong I like steeda' cai looks like it is the best made setup out there, its made in america, and it looks badass, just show me the proof.

Completely wrong, and here is why.

We do draw air from the grill, we were the first in 2010 to actually use the factory air duct coming from the grill. If you are not familiar with that duct here is a picture of it, shown from the outside with the bumper removed to be clearly visible.

We actually tie into this duct, not just leave it hanging there in mid air blowing at nothing like some competitors do and route air directly into the airbox. The airbox itself seals against the hood so it is not letting in underhood air, it is getting fed cool outside air from the duct designed for that purpose.

Take note of the next picture showing the plastic duct on the bottom of the intake that ties into the feed from the bumper directly into our airbox and the clear opening at the bottom of the airbox letting this air in.

Now again, you can't simulate the air coming in at 45-50mph or higher on the dyno bringing air charge temps back down to near ambient, so leaving the hood open gives us the ambient temps that you would see at speed. A back to back hood closed dyno run would see a difference in power because you are not getting outside air into the airbox just sitting on the dyno like you would in real world driving. Like it or not this is the way it needs to be done.
See less See more
And this is how I would expect a vendor to respond. Well said Steedagus. With these sorts of responses, I can't imagine you'll ever get attacked in the same manner Brand J did with their responses.
dyno shops use high speed fans to blow thru rad , I understand that it would be difficult to simulate top end 1/4 mile speeds but no real reason you cant simulate 50 mph air thru frt grill. And if both stock air box and aftermarket are under same conditions it seams like a far test to me.

Also I understand that you seal to hood but from picks on your own website it does not seal to fender to well...
See less See more
I just found this appears somebody figured out how to do it.
A shop fan is not going to simulate the volume of air when moving down the road, not by a longshot, especially since you have more going on than just the air coming through the duct, there is all kinds of underhood air movement at speed.
taken from KB's website for dodge supercharger, so it can be done it seems.

ALL KENNE BELL DYNO TESTS WERE WITH HOOD "CLOSED." "OPEN" HOOD TESTING ELIMINATES THE HOT AIR TO UNDERHOOD FILTERS AND OVER RATES DYNO HP NUMBERS (1% POWER LOSS FOR EVERY 10° ABOVE AMBIENT) UP TO 30HP.
Hey Gus,
Thanks for stopping by. Most of us don't have a problem comprehending what you are saying.
A shop fan is not going to simulate the volume of air when moving down the road, not by a longshot, especially since you have more going on than just the air coming through the duct, there is all kinds of underhood air movement at speed.
I do understand, and when I'm done my burnout and staging till i hit about 100 ft there seems to be nothing but a small electric fan blowing thru my rad, and I'm not looking for an all out absolute top hp number. and I understand that hp numbers will be down I'm talking about compairing two setups in the same conditions. A 5 sec dyno run doesn't need 150 mph air blowing over and under car. So your hp numbers will be down and the stock box will be down, everbody gets it.
I hope your not using a shop fan..
I had a problem with 2011 GT for surging and ford put the latest revision in the computer and it fixed drivability. What sucks is the car is not responsive like it was but it is smoother. I wonder if the latest revision makes my 2011 420hp because it doesn't feel like it
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.