Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seached and could find anything.
Is it better to go back to a steel flywheel when running aftermarket cams?( I'm currently installing comp stage 2's) Will the extra weight help the car idle better?
I read somewhere a steel flywheel also will help a car leave harder off the line.

What would the advantage be to staying with an aluminum?

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
A steel flywheel will always leave harder (assuming you can get the car to hook), because of the additional stored rotational energy.

--Joe

·
Registered
889 Posts
i Seached And Could Find Anything.
Is It Better To Go Back To A Steel Flywheel When Running Aftermarket Cams?( I'm Currently Installing Comp Stage 2's) Will The Extra Weight Help The Car Idle Better?
I Read Somewhere A Steel Flywheel Also Will Help A Car Leave Harder Off The Line.

What Would The Advantage Be To Staying With An Aluminum?

Thanks
Dan
Take Out A Bunch Of Timing At Idle And Watch Your Car Purrrr Like A Kitten

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Steel vs aluminum FWs have been discussed ad nauseum. There are a couple of links in the Table of Contents sticky thread at the top of this forum.

·
Administrator
1965 SPF 427 Cobra, & 2022 BMW M850
9,484 Posts
Flywheels

I have a nearly new billet depleted uranium flywheel. Much better than steel and it has a slight glow in the dark to help install the flywheel bolts if the trouble light breaks. It comes with billet kryptonite stands, heat sheild and unobtanium floaters and fasteners. Proper usage recommendations include a solid lead bellhousing (helps keep the nose down on hard launches, among other things) and a radiation badge for drivers (recommended) and passengers (optional).

This thing is hot!

Ed

p.s. An additional benefit, after you have used it for a while, is a subtle glow that your car takes on in parking lots late at night making finding your car much easier especially after a few adult beverages.

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
I have a nearly new billet depleted uranium flywheel. Much better than steel and it has a slight glow in the dark to help install the flywheel bolts if the trouble light breaks. It comes with billet kryptonite stands, heat sheild and unobtanium floaters and fasteners. Proper usage recommendations include a solid lead bellhousing (helps keep the nose down on hard launches, among other things) and a radiation badge for drivers (recommended) and passengers (optional).

This thing is hot!

Ed

p.s. An additional benefit, after you have used it for a while, is a subtle glow that your car takes on in parking lots late at night making finding your car much easier especially after a few adult beverages.
Hysterical!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, I've been looking for one of those. You old timers seem to be the only ones who know where to find them.

LOL that was good.

·
Administrator
1965 SPF 427 Cobra, & 2022 BMW M850
9,484 Posts
Flywheels

Hey, they don't call us old farts for nuth'in :fart:

Ed

·
Boost-aholic
2,821 Posts

This thing is hot!

Ed

Speaking of "adult beverages"....I think someone had a few too many before they wrote that! :bigwink:

Jr.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts