Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been a month now and i can't figure out what is causing the tap on my engine.....sounded like it was coming from the top, replaced all the lash adjusters and no luck, put a stethascope on the bellhousing and tranny, reall loud down there.....guy with a 96-98 cobra brought his into the dealership where my friends who have been helping me work....same noise btw, he replaced the clutch tob, pilot bearing, flywheel and it's still there. tech i know there said maybe the thrust bearing, there was no play in the balancer when the clutch was disengaged.....i dunno, running outta ideas. it's damn near the same noise it made before i replaced the chains, tensioners, and guides in dec......just frustrated. car runs really well, power isn't down. any ideas guys???

phil

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ttt

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<------------ f-ed

·
Registered
108 Posts
maybe...

...thers a thin metal plate between the engine block and flywheel, if its bent the flywheel maybe hitting it, we had two cars in our shop that did this(no they were not Mustangs but 2.0 Contours).

also, could you be hearing the injectors "ticking" ? does the sound go up wth engine speed ? have you changed cams ? starter bolted in all the way ? does it do it wth the clutch in & out ? inputshaft brg in the trans ? exhaust leak ? you running headers ? frpp shorties were prone to cracking at the welds and caused a header "tick/tap" sound.

Randy

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
def. not my injectors, stock 98 header, 01 headswap btw....does it with the clutch in and out, when we put a stethoscope on tranny/bellhousing you can really hear it, clutch chatter maybe? i have a spec stage 2 sitting in the box. thinking about replacing the clutch, t.o.b, pilot bearing, resurface flywheel and throw the new clutch in and see if that does it. thanks for the help randy.

phil

edit: the more rpm's you get the more frequent the noise gets.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine did the same thing. It was a wrist pin on the drivers side rear cylinder, but the noise really sounded like it was coming from inside the bellhousing. We were cinvinced it was a cracked flexplate or loose bolt, but unluckily not. Hope you have better luck than I did with it. If you start shorting out the spark for the cylinders one by one and the noise changes then bad news.
I hear this is a common problem with these.

Wishing you much better luck than I had
Darrin

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
any other symptoms that would point to a wrist pin?

phil

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hard to say

I had people saying everything from lifter to rod bearing on mine and it didn't sound like a wrist pin to me either. Ford mechanics thought it was either a cracked flexplate or a loose bolt because the noise was so loud with a stethoscope on the bellhousing and it didn't seem to matter much if it was cold or hot. I really wish they knew what they were talking about, that would have been much cheaper to fix. I finally called a local shop that does a lot of these engines and he said to short the plug wires one at a time to try to isolate it. After a quick forehead slap I headed for the garage. I get so caught up in the tech on these things that I sometimes forget the basics. When I shorted out the plug wire for the left rear cylinder the noise changed and when I pulled the pan the excessive play on that rod told me right away what the problem was. The guy at the garage says he sees it all the time. He said he thinks it is caused by the detonation problem that these engines can have and that it is nearly always in the same cylinder. I don't know about all that, but he sure called it right without hearing it himself. Must be something to it.

Good luck. I truly hope you don't have the same issue. Unless you were looking for an excuse to forge anyway:D

Darrin

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
looks like i am dicked, time to build up my spare 96 block.

phil

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are you sure?

This was just my experience and I hope you have much better luck than I did. There are still several other things that could be the problem. Let me know.

Good luck
Darrin

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
had several folks listen to it, they're thinking wrist pin....anything else i might want to check???

phil

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well

Not sure what else to check. I still just really hope it isn't. Just try to make sure you take it to someone who is REALLY familiar with these motors to have it diagnosed. Make sure they are trustworthty too. They like to say wrist pin at a lot of places because it is kind of a spendy thing. Whatever you do, don't offer any info. Just ask their opinion of what's wrong and get a quote for the repair.
I am hard headed. I had to go in to see for myself. Lots of work and not a suggestion. If you mess up and that wasn't the problem then you are in a worse situation than you started with. I knew mine was an internal noise so I was screwed anyway and I already had another engine on the stand for it before I took anything apart.
Good luck
Darrin

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it started making some other lovely noise the other day, haven't driven it since and teardown and search for a new s/b has begun.

phil

1 - 13 of 13 Posts