Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows the stock cfm flow numbers for our heads? I am tyring to find info on maybe doing a port/polish or maybe going with the fr500 heads. I heard that the 01 cobras were at 260cfm, are ours the same? And how much do you think it would cost to P/P? Any ideas on the matter? Just trying to explore other options, seems like no one even considered this route yet. Trying to figure out why? Thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
most reputable porters charge around $1200 for dohc heads! there is alot of valves to grind:p the job is labor intensive as well! so if your not doing that yourself i would suspect that it would probably run $1000 as well!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of gains did you see with new cams? Never heard of dyno2000, is it a computer program?

·
Registered
189 Posts
The heads on the '03 are completely redesigned. They can also be found on the Mach 1 and Marauder. See MM/FF for March 2003.

As for the Dyno 2000 program, it is a software program marketed by Mr. Gasket. It contains engine specifications... ie cam spec's, head spec...etc.. it also allows the users to configure there own cams and heads for the intention of building a motor on your computer. Test your como before you spend the dough. The software is under $50. Some people sware by it.

As for the cams, Networking Guru is on to something. The stock cam is a single pattern. Lift .395/.395. I heard from STV tech line that the duration is 230/230. :shocked This is wild, even with a wide lobe separation. So I am trying to verify. Anyway, in every test I have ever seen Dual pattern cams have out performed the single's. If an aftermarket cam designer could make a cam that was bigger on the exhaust side... I wonder how that would perform.

·
Registered
87 Posts
BlownCobra said:
The heads on the '03 are completely redesigned. They can also be found on the Mach 1 and Marauder. See MM/FF for March 2003.

As for the Dyno 2000 program, it is a software program marketed by Mr. Gasket. It contains engine specifications... ie cam spec's, head spec...etc.. it also allows the users to configure there own cams and heads for the intention of building a motor on your computer. Test your como before you spend the dough. The software is under $50. Some people sware by it.

As for the cams, Networking Guru is on to something. The stock cam is a single pattern. Lift .395/.395. I heard from STV tech line that the duration is 230/230. :shocked This is wild, even with a wide lobe separation. So I am trying to verify. Anyway, in every test I have ever seen Dual pattern cams have out performed the single's. If an aftermarket cam designer could make a cam that was bigger on the exhaust side... I wonder how that would perform.
Actualy, those cam specs are pretty close to what I came up with using dyno 2000. Mine are a tad milder, but very similar. I will post a thread once I get back home detailing my findings and how I came about them, but the basic crux of the H/C findings were: With ported heads and cams, the HP goes up by 50 or so using the stock rev limiter, but it moves higher up in the powerband. If you add intake mods and raise the limiter to 8K, you may see up to a 200 HP increase, but low end will suffer badly. In other words, it may not be streetable any longer :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts