Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have a Whipple 2.3 on my 04 Cobra running at 18lbs of boost (4lb lower/3.5 Whipple upper) and was considering bumping the boost up to 20lbs in attempt to squeeze a few more ponies out of the ol' stock 4.6, but I am concerned about pushing the envelope a little too far as far as durability. I would rather keep the stock engine intact if you know what I mean. This would be for a dragstrip only setup with a race gas (more than likely VP MS109), for the street I would change the pulley combo back down to 17lbs for pump gas.

My question to those of you out there to the Modularfords members is how many of you are running 20lbs of boost on your stock engine and if so any issues? Seems as though I have read of several doing this but couldn't think of any off of the top of my head. If any of you are doing this and don't mind to share your experiences if would be greatly appreciated. Right now I am at 622/565 on my race tune for Torco (20 deg timing).

Thanks in advance!:tip:

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I wouldn't worry about 20lbs at all on a race gas tune. Just don't get to carried away on the a/f ratio or the timing. You motor should handle it easily. My race tune is 22lbs and I'm almost a little worried. Not yet though.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Posi for the response.

I spoke with my tuner earlier and while he said what I wanted to do was certainly doable, in his opinion at that point I should be prepared for the worst in the event of a catastrophic engine failure. He had a few customers running at that level or above and while none of them had experienced any problems yet, he wouldn't rule it out.

I seem to have hit that proverbial brick wall (ET wise) in the 10.6 range. Been stuck in the 10.6's for a couple of years now, ran a [email protected] back in the fall of '07 with 587/540, last year I changed up my combo a little to get the #'s I posted earlier and also lightened the car somewhat and the best I could get out of it this past fall was a [email protected]. I'd love to be able to hit a 10.5 or better!

·
Registered
546 Posts
You'll be 100% fine on 20lbs, given your tune is good and you're running the correct octane. Plenty of people are boosting 20+lbs on stock motor. The motor can take it without flinching.

I plan on spinning my 2.3 up to 21lbs on a 2.75' pulley. I'd run more than that if that boost level wasn't barking up the tree of effeciency on the 2.3.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I've been running 19psi for years with my little 2.2L KB and I increased boost to 23psi last summer.
I run a very aggressive tune also. Your car will be fine with enough octane and a good tune.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I ran 28 psi for a few months, 2 tunes, 93 octane at 13 degrees of timing and 103 octane with 20.5 degrees. Timing was low for the street and you could feel it. Switched to 26 psi and the car actually made more power. I ran the 26 psi for over a year with no problems. I have recently dropped the boost to 24 psi so that the street tune is more fun to drive.

I know several guys who have run 21 psi and around 20 degrees of timing for a few years on their whipples with no problems.

I have acutally seen more "built" motors blow than stock cobra motors. Go for it and experiment with the octane for race tune -- Dave King found that he could make more power on 100 octane than on higher octanes. Keep in mind that higher octane burns slower and at some point the safety factor of higher octane can acutally hurt power.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ran 28 psi for a few months, 2 tunes, 93 octane at 13 degrees of timing and 103 octane with 20.5 degrees. Timing was low for the street and you could feel it. Switched to 26 psi and the car actually made more power. I ran the 26 psi for over a year with no problems. I have recently dropped the boost to 24 psi so that the street tune is more fun to drive.

I know several guys who have run 21 psi and around 20 degrees of timing for a few years on their whipples with no problems.

I have acutally seen more "built" motors blow than stock cobra motors. Go for it and experiment with the octane for race tune -- Dave King found that he could make more power on 100 octane than on higher octanes. Keep in mind that higher octane burns slower and at some point the safety factor of higher octane can acutally hurt power.
Holy moly! Is that on the stock motor? Is it still kickin'?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Stock longblock, kb 2.8 blower. These motors are good for around 30 psi if the tune is done right.

·
Demented and old
5,322 Posts
Stock longblock, kb 2.8 blower. These motors are good for around 30 psi if the tune is done right.
+2
on high boost-26-28pds of boost :scare:-stock motor with comp stage 3 cams. race gas and a great tune will keep it alive

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Alright since this thread has a little room to grow with the op's original question.

What's the max boost for running the 2.3 Whipple at the track? I'm talking when it's getting to where it just isn't efficient anymore but still makes some huge numbers on a race tune with a proper cooldown? Let alone some ice in the IC resevoir to help. I'm going to guess it to be 25lbs of boost.

Anyone with experience on this and what have you ran or known of someone to run?

·
Demented and old
5,322 Posts
the 2.3's max boost is 25pds after that its "do you have a light johnny"

·
Registered
322 Posts
Alright since this thread has a little room to grow with the op's original question.

What's the max boost for running the 2.3 Whipple at the track? I'm talking when it's getting to where it just isn't efficient anymore but still makes some huge numbers on a race tune with a proper cooldown? Let alone some ice in the IC resevoir to help. I'm going to guess it to be 25lbs of boost.

Anyone with experience on this and what have you ran or known of someone to run?
On the gen I 2.3 I know a few people who have run 6lb lowers and 3.25" pulley which gives right around 24 psi. These cars tend to run in the 10.50's to 10.80's, some with SRA some IRS.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback! :tip: Looks like what I am wanting to do is certainly attainable on the stock motor as long as I give it the proper fuel and don't get carried away with the timing.

Keep it coming!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
On the gen I 2.3 I know a few people who have run 6lb lowers and 3.25" pulley which gives right around 24 psi. These cars tend to run in the 10.50's to 10.80's, some with SRA some IRS.
I have used that pulley combo multiple times and it only yields 21 lbs of boost on a Gen 1 Whipple (2300 AX)... You will need to run either a 3.25 upper with a 10 lb lower or a 3.00 upper with a 8 lb lower to get you in the 24-25 psi level which is not very effective with the 2.3L Whipples... Anything over ~ 23 psi on the 2.3L Whipples is pushing the blower out of it's efficiency range IMO. At that time you may need to go for either a 3.4L Whipple or a 2.8L KB...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So you think a 10.50 or thereabouts is about the most I'll be able to get out of the 2.3L Whipple? I've been several 10.6's with my current setup (18lbs/20 deg timing Torco race tune).

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thanks everyone for the feedback! :tip: Looks like what I am wanting to do is certainly attainable on the stock motor as long as I give it the proper fuel and don't get carried away with the timing.

Keep it coming!
Feed the car some good 100+ octane fuel and don't get too greedy with the timing and the car should run very well at 20-23 psi...

·
Registered
404 Posts
im running 21 psi now, with 21 degrees of timing. no issues on straight 100 unleaded. only issue i have experienced was a murdered stock clutch! but just installed a twin disk rated @ 900 ftlbs....

1 - 20 of 52 Posts