Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My forged engine buildup has been sidetracked due to one of my four wheelers that I race taking a dump on me. A large chunk of money had to be put into that so I'll be waiting 'til winter to build the new motor. In the meantime does anyone know what the stock internals are limited to in terms of hp? I know every car is different but I hear of a lot of stock bottom end cars making 450+ rwhp. With a retune and Ultra Grip pulley I hope to be making the full 12 lbs of boost my blower is supposed to be making now and would like to see at least 425 rwhp. I know it's not gonna' last 100k miles but I also don't beat on it and rarely go to the track. Just looking for input from some veterans at this. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Any thing over 400rwhp it starts to become a crap shoot on the stock bottom end.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Yep, get that boost back down to 8-9. If your pushing over 400 with stock bottom end, your gonna have more than an ATV down. It's just a matter of time. Yeah people do it, but eventually it'll hit em in the end.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hardly went over 410rwhp on my second motor and did not last.. to keep it safe i would keep it at no more than 390rwhp.

·
Registered
692 Posts
97modman said:
I hardly went over 410rwhp on my second motor and did not last.. to keep it safe i would keep it at no more than 390rwhp.
What CR you going with?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I made 451rwhp and 452 rwtq for over a year with a stock 97 2v motor, I never had any problems, but the 97 pistons are much stronger due to Ford switching suppliers...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Every car is slightly different from the next. When motors are built, not every motor uses the same batch of raw metal. Depending on atmospheric conditions and other variables during casting, each batch of metal will have different properties. Some stronger than others. Im no expert in Mustangs by any means, but I did minor in metalurgy :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think what I'm gonna' do is get rid of the mud toys and shoot for 500 rwhp in the car. I've got to find a reputable engine builder/head porter down this way so if anyone knows of one please help me out. Some of these guys are getting a little crazy with their shortblock prices though. I never thought I'd see an ad for a stock cranked shortblock for $3200 but their everywhere. Any suggestions on where to get cams?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
micool said:
I think what I'm gonna' do is get rid of the mud toys and shoot for 500 rwhp in the car. I've got to find a reputable engine builder/head porter down this way so if anyone knows of one please help me out. Some of these guys are getting a little crazy with their shortblock prices though. I never thought I'd see an ad for a stock cranked shortblock for $3200 but their everywhere. Any suggestions on where to get cams?
My whole motor was done local .And its done right,not cheap but right.

Cams i say contact comp cams you cant go wrong with them.

·
Registered
173 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
shm makes pretty good cam too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Speaking of. . . who's got a suggestion for a good place to get a forged engine (short and/or long block) to support 450rwhp safely in a blown config?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
dataangel said:
Speaking of. . . who's got a suggestion for a good place to get a forged engine (short and/or long block) to support 450rwhp safely in a blown config?
Personally i say find a good local shop that stands behind thier work to do it.Check refrences and who local speed shops use.

Mine was built local,great work,and best of all a warrenty.

Plus no having to deal with someone long distances if a problem ever came up is a plus to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts