Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok all of a sudden i've been hearing this strange noise coming from the front of the car i believe. It goes wwrraannt (like the noise your door makes if it needs to be greased up.) kinda hard to describe. Can anyone tell me what this noise is. I only hear it when i get ready to drive. I put the car in first, let out on the clutch and then before i move a foot "wwrraant" So if anyone could help me with this diagnostic it would be great and really appreciated. My friend said it sounds like a suspension bushing. Could this sound effect anything?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and the thing is it doesnt do it all the time

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anyone have any ideas to what this could be?

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
Could be anything. Suspension would be the first guess.

Have a friend (pick one that owes you some favors) walk beside the car as you let the clutch out since it happens when you first pull out. Figure out what side of the car its coming from , and they jack it up, and start wiggling things around to find it. That's about all you can do.

Or put your significant other in the car, and you walk beside your car to listen for it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
my clutch cable or release bearing? does the same thing when my cars been sitting for a few days and its been humid outside, but it goes away as soon as i start driving.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i figured out what the noise was after taking off all the calibers and rebleeding the brakes, it wasnt the brakes nor suspension parts. i noticed that where my exhaust goes over the axle, the little ( n ) portion of the exhaust pipe that goes over the axle, is actually rubbing against the axle on the driver side and passenger side. so i guess that solves my problem of the mystery noise. but my question is, could this hurt anything?

pics for reference (not my exhaust but it will do)

·
Registered
48 Posts
it can eventually rub through your exhaust. if you dont want to move your exhaust around then try putting some thick plastic or hard rubber between the 2 and just replace it every once in a while when it starts wearing down.
but going over bumps it can eventually bend your exhaust pipe if it contacts it hard enough.

·
Registered
104 Posts
what catback do you have?

if you can take out that section of the exhaust (my slp''s have band clamps at every section for easy removal) and take it to a shop, they can maybe put a little more of a bend in the bend before the axle, not alot, just enough to bring it away for the axle.

to be sure that is the noise you are hearing, take some duck tape and put it around the axle right there, wrap it over like 4-5 times and then drive it, if the noise is gone, then thats your problem, if it remains, then you got other issues, better to narrow down than to trial and error everything under the car with removal and replacement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts