Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As some of you know, I live in a pretty small town in the middle of South Georgia. When I got my 03 Cobra, there were several people that have been waiting to run it. Last night they got their chance.

The main guy that wanted to run me had 89 or so year model Coupe Mustang with a Carbed 302, GT-40 heads, cam, victor junior. The car runs high 7s in the eighth. Its kind of funny because he along with everyone else that was around was certain he would wax my ass (thats what makes it so fun).

We drove out to a place that is marked off for a 1/4 mile run.

We line them up, and through first we are about the same (I was spinning though). I shift second early and pull off about a carlength. When I went to third it was all over. By the end of the quarter I was AT LEAST 4 carlengths ahead.

We pull back down to where everyone is standing around. All there attitudes have now changed, especially the guy that got his ass handed to him. We all stand around and chat a bit, a few more cars run, none of them wanted to race my car.

We get ready to leave and a friend of mine says he would like to try me in his car, but he had to go get it. So we decided to meet at another spot, but its marked off for the 1/8th. All this is going on about 4 AM in the morning and I'm pretty sleepy, but I agree to meet them out at the place we were to race. Before he goes to get his car, he tells me its on street tires, yadda yadda yadda....

We all meet up at this other place, and wait for the guy to show up. When he arrives, the car is on Nittos, and he has a full bottle of nitrous. I guess he felt he didn't have enough motor, for the little mod motor in my sled.

A quick rundown on his car, its a light weight coupe, no dash, etc. The car probably weighs at least 1000 lbs less than mine. I think its a 302, could be a windsor. Its carbed as well, had ported edelbrock heads, but the biggest thing is the car weighs nothing. It runs 7.50s on motor and 6.70s on the spray in the eighth. He said he was going to spray me, so I knew it would be a good challenge.

First run, I leave good, but when I shift second the tires break loose and my car gets a little sideways so I abort, he wins.

Second run, we decide to go from a roll. I am at the top of first gear when we start. I shift to second and I pull from him about half a car, when I shift 3rd, I pull away another 1-1.5 car lengths from him. Looked like I outran him about 2 carlengths through the 1/8th.

We pull back to where everyone is standing, and no one says a word. Then the owner starts mumbling about his car not running quite right, and says it felt like the nitrous didn't come on. So we decide to make one last run.

Third run, we go from a roll again, this time he sprays me while Im in second and jumps off about a car length. I shift third and by then he is about 2.5 cars ahead of me. I figure he got me about 2 -3 cars through the 1/8th.

We talk for a minute before I head home (damn I was sleepy).

All in all, I think I faired pretty well. His car runs 7.50s on motor and I outran him when his nitrous didn't work, so that lets me know my car is making good power.

That 30 shot nitrous in a bag system is starting to look tempting :evil

I think the Terminator really amazed all these local ********.

·
Yes...it can be done
3,140 Posts
Good stuff Eric, I love street racing... :evil

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Good Representing!!

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Great story, dude. Man, I love that scene as well.

Last night, the guy who bought my black 03 Cobra came and picked me up and we went out racing in his car. How's that for a tight-knit group of Terminator owners? My car is down with a broken half-shaft but I don't miss the racing...I get picked up.

You should do what I do when guys talk smack on the street. If you beat them, don't give them a second race...at least for a week until the following weekend. Let them stew in it for a while and let everyone talk smack.

No reason to give them an opportunity to redeem themselves after you own them!

;)

·
Registered
245 Posts
street race

One of those victims wouldn't live out on south 41 at Eldorado?
Been hearing a lot of smack about that car from the owner and his slackies! Good street kill.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I should go up there one night with the 02 for the hell of it :)

They "should" be able to outrun me, but you never know :)

btw, congrats on the kill

·
Registered
227 Posts
man how familiar a story. im from a small town in FL...tony (Gt) knows where it is...Blountstown. back a few years ago (before the navy) when i was a diehard GM guy, my friend bought an old like 72 nova with a small block 400 in it. we thought that thing was god. one night he was with some chicks, so he let my friend borrow it. we were up at mcdonalds parking lot, when this fox body mustang pulls in. me and another guy go to instigate the race...he heartily agreed. excited we left to our spot....well im sitting on the toolbox of my boys truck when i realize that i was already 15 mins late to pick up my girl from work....OH WELL...i wanna see this stang get stomped. we hear the tires squeal and hear they come...and the stang passes us first. we were all floored...how could a 302 beat a 400??? we were stumped. from that day it was in the back of my head for a long time...
ah back in the day....a local guy had a heads/cam/intake 5.0 with like an SN-93 paxton and we all thought that was the baddest car, but he didnt drive it often. man small towns...how awesome. im gonna go home next summer and make some $$ :king

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does Tifton have a pretty hot street racing scene?

Over here in Glennville and a few spots around we have some good Sunday backroad get togethers every now and then.

·
Registered
245 Posts
t town

Used to be really hot in the 90's. Been out of that loop for a while.
Too many damn ricers running around now!

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
docdave22 said:
Does Tifton have a pretty hot street racing scene?

Over here in Glennville and a few spots around we have some good Sunday backroad get togethers every now and then.
Not must racing around here anymore. It used to be the hotspot.

Where is Glennville

·
Registered
245 Posts
street race

I did have a newer Lightning trying my 91GT a few weeks ago. He was coming up on me in TyTy and got by me coming out of TyTY and would ease by me about 1/2 car lengths and ease back. I had both windows down and wouldn't even act like I saw him! He did this all the way to the golf course where he finally rolled his window down and blowed the horn. Said he had a stock truck with 4.10's and did I want to try them-Are you crazy,I saw it was a Lightning coming into TyTy was my reply! Hes from Worth and ran into him last week and he was ordering a new Cobra hinself!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Black01GT said:
tony (Gt) knows where it is...Blountstown.
haha, yup. Good ole Blountstown. One of those small towns that slows the trip to Panama City up some ;)

Tony

·
Registered
419 Posts
docdave22 said:
This Sunday. Lanier GA.

Lots of cars and from what I have been hearing it gets bigger every week.
doh, 304 miles. don't think I'll be making that :)

Tony

1 - 20 of 29 Posts