Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a glens performance sumped tank for my 2000 Gt that I will be changing to return style

what do I need to do for the venting of the tank... I would like to avoid using the factoy vents that are in the stock tank because they both broke trying to remove them if theres another way please post up... also how much venting is needed for this set up.. it will not be a street driven car at least not much of one if at all

thanks for any help

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
I had the same problem trying to get the stock plastic vents out, and broke them because they're so brittle. I tried rigging up a vent using a one-way fuel vent, but it wasn't enough, and when filling the tank with fuel, it would burble back out at me. So I figured I'd better play it safe, and bought the vents at Ford to replace the broken ones. Messing with fuel vapor vents is not something I want to play around with, and find out the hard way on a really hot day.

I say just go get the vent assembly. It comes as one complete kit with all the hoses and everything. If you need a part # let me know and I'll go dig up my old receipt for you.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the same problem trying to get the stock plastic vents out, and broke them because they're so brittle. I tried rigging up a vent using a one-way fuel vent, but it wasn't enough, and when filling the tank with fuel, it would burble back out at me. So I figured I'd better play it safe, and bought the vents at Ford to replace the broken ones. Messing with fuel vapor vents is not something I want to play around with, and find out the hard way on a really hot day.

I say just go get the vent assembly. It comes as one complete kit with all the hoses and everything. If you need a part # let me know and I'll go dig up my old receipt for you.
if you can find the part number that would be great

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
You can get a roll over vent from jegs or summit and put it in the top. That's what I did. I ripped out every bit of the safety shit related to the tank including the stuff that ran up to the engine bay. All I have is an 03-04 Cobra tank and hat/pumps and a -6an braided line coming from the hat to a TF fuel filter and then up to the fuel rail. Nothing else coming in or out of the tank. I took out those blue things in the tank and sealed the holes up, then drilled one hole in it just large enough for the roll over vent.

The roll over vent does fine, I have no issues filling up the car...EXCEPT, I have to know when to stop, if I fill it all the way up, some will spit out the vent since the gas filler is higher than the vent.

Since your car is not really for the street, rip all that shit out, save some weight and buy a roll over vent for 30 bucks and save a lot of money.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/15361/10002/-1

:tip:

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just got a glens performance sumped tank for my 2000 Gt that I will be changing to return style

what do I need to do for the venting of the tank... I would like to avoid using the factoy vents that are in the stock tank because they both broke trying to remove them if theres another way please post up... also how much venting is needed for this set up.. it will not be a street driven car at least not much of one if at all

thanks for any help
whats your fuel setup now?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
You can get a roll over vent from jegs or summit and put it in the top. That's what I did. I ripped out every bit of the safety shit related to the tank including the stuff that ran up to the engine bay. All I have is an 03-04 Cobra tank and hat/pumps and a -6an braided line coming from the hat to a TF fuel filter and then up to the fuel rail. Nothing else coming in or out of the tank. I took out those blue things in the tank and sealed the holes up, then drilled one hole in it just large enough for the roll over vent.

The roll over vent does fine, I have no issues filling up the car...EXCEPT, I have to know when to stop, if I fill it all the way up, some will spit out the vent since the gas filler is higher than the vent.

Since your car is not really for the street, rip all that shit out, save some weight and buy a roll over vent for 30 bucks and save a lot of money.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/15361/10002/-1

:tip:
Why not just screw a fitting in, attach a hose then mt the roll over vent higher up then the filler. Wouldn't that stop the spillage?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what does everyone use to fill the 2 holes in the tank I also need to plug the stock feed line coming from the GT hat. snce its no longer gonna be used

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
whats your fuel setup now?
it had just a focus pump and BAP.. now im going return and have UPR rails,A1000 reg,A1000 pump and glens sumped tank... I just need to get this tank done so I can start fitting everything up and seeing how im going to route the line so I can start ordering the fittings

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Why not just screw a fitting in, attach a hose then mt the roll over vent higher up then the filler. Wouldn't that stop the spillage?
That probably would help, but I didn't think about it when installing the vent, and now I don't think there is room between the tank and the trunk floor to get a hose on the roll over vent. I'll live with it. If I ever drop the tank again for some reason Ill change it around but it's OK for now.

Plus it's fun playing the guessing game when filling up. Is it full yet? Now? Yet? Getting close? Now? OOPS!!! OK, now it's full...LOL

·
One bad 2v
1,579 Posts
it had just a focus pump and BAP.. now im going return and have UPR rails,A1000 reg,A1000 pump and glens sumped tank... I just need to get this tank done so I can start fitting everything up and seeing how im going to route the line so I can start ordering the fittings
Here are some pics of how I ran my lines that might help you out.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
You should of hole sawed through that piece of frame rail. Then you could of gone right through. Also holds the line nicely.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. Can't you just re-use the factory venting methods? I bought a '99-'04 sumped tank off of a guy on the corral, can't I just swap everything over from my factory tank?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Yes you can.

But if you want to delete a whole bunch of BS your going to have to vent the tank some where if you want to fill it.

Plus the factory stuff is easily ruined when your taking it out. It doesn't come out very easy at all. So many guys are trying to spend a bunch of money on a simple thing.

I still use the factory gear. But I need to loose some weight big time so all the old factory stuff is going bye bye.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. Can't you just re-use the factory venting methods? I bought a '99-'04 sumped tank off of a guy on the corral, can't I just swap everything over from my factory tank?
yes it can be reused but in my case even being careful both of the canisters broke

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
For those that are planning a tank swap in the future, the only way to get those old vents out of the tank without breaking them, is to push from the inside. Which means you'd have to cut the tank in half or cut a large hole in the bottom so you can get your arm in there to access the inside, and push them out carefully.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For those that are planning a tank swap in the future, the only way to get those old vents out of the tank without breaking them, is to push from the inside. Which means you'd have to cut the tank in half or cut a large hole in the bottom so you can get your arm in there to access the inside, and push them out carefully.
now you tell me ... LOL

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
we got them out of my old tank, very carefully lol
I got them out once when I switched over to my cobra tank. Then when I switched back to my GT tank my luck ran out and cracked one.

I nearly broke my arm side ways to try and get into the tank to push it out. Pry bars and all sorts of contraptions to try and get it out. Cutting up the cobra tank wasn't a option. And finally I didn't care. I just ripped the dam thing out. Ruined it good.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts