Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a new 2003 black mustang gt and am planning to add a forced inductions system to her :blob. Now with all the info out there it is starting to get a little confusing:confused:. Here are my goals. The car will be mostly a daily driver for now so I would like reliabilty. But by next summer i will be installing a new short block with forged internals so i want something that i can up the boost when this is done. I was planning on purchasing a kenne bell twin screw until i started reading more about the turbocharger setups. I would like something that would give me about 375 rwhp right now without doing anything to the motor (ie: forged rods and pistons). I would really appreciate any help from you guys, Pete :beer

·
Registered
331 Posts
I hope you don't take this post as biased because I own a company that builds twin turbos for late model cars (including mustangs), but I did my research, I picked turbos for a reason. If I would have thought that superchargers would have been the best option I would have done something with them.

Turbos will always make more power, period as they have no parasitic loss of having to turn a pulley with the crank to generate hp. I have heard estimates of taking 45-75hp to turn a blower pulley.

Turbos make power sooner than a centrifugal blower as these types of blowers are rpm based and don't make max boost until redline, where turbos make full boost (if properly configured) at around 3000rpms...where do you do most of your driving? 3000rpms or 7000rpms?

The roots type blowers (Eaton, KB, etc.) make great power down low, nice flat torque curves, but they seem to be limited in how much hp they can make. The Eaton's, like on the '03 Cobras, seem to top out at the 500-600rwhp level and tend to generate a lot of heat there. The KB's generate less heat and produce more hp, but I believe their limit is around the 700rwhp.

Turbos require zero maintenance. As long as you keep their air clean (quality air filters) and use good oil in your engine with regular oil changes, they will outlive your car. Over the road semi's run them for millions of miles between rebuilds. They don't have to be rebuilt every couple of years like centrifugal superchargers. I haven't heard any maintenance needs for the roots type blowers.

Turbos don't require pulley changes to raise/lower boost. Just push a few buttons on your electronic boost controller, turn a knob if you have a manual boost controller instead, or swap out a spring in your wastegates if you have no boost controller.

Our 'base' kits should produce 600-1000hp and can be turned down if you want less on the stock shortblock. We are wrapping up a Mach 1 right now (stock shortblock) and he wants around 525rwhp. The point here is that you have this very wide range in power where all you would have to do is turn the boost up and possibly a new tune, depending on how much you turned it up (you'd have to do that with any forced induction), no trading in or selling parts to upgrade. The only exception to this is when you get above the 700hp level, a larger intercooler or an air/water intercooler would be required as would some fuel system upgrades. If you know that you are going for a really high hp level from the start, you could just start with a max effort fuel system and intercooler and then have nothing to swap out.

Anyway, that's all the info I have for you. Do your homework, ask lots of questions, talk to your online friends, talk to others that run all kinds and the answers will become clearer to you. Just make sure you are a well-educated consumer, you will be much happier with your decision, whatever it is, if you are.

Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
MustangPete,.

There is a 03 Mach 1 up in your area.

Jeremy Robertson has a turbo charged Mach 1 and he lives in Big Spring, Texas.

He is making 400 RWHP and 430 RWTQ at only 5 psi of boost, he has freinds with blowers that are making less with more boost.

He would more than likely be happy to let you check out his car and take you for a ride, at 5 psi ogf boost you will be amazed!

if you want his contact info, e-mail me and I will give it to you.

I am biased aswell, but there is no comparison between a turbo powered car and a supercharged car, the turbo will make more power at less RPM and much more torque.

Good Luck

Keith

·
Registered
227 Posts
i originally wanted a turbo when i decided i wanted forced induction...i def believe it is the superior power adder...however, i was also putting in a forged shortblock which necessitated........cost. so i had to go with the blower, which so far im happy with. but i believe the turbo is def the way to go. my .02

·
Registered
182 Posts
Induction Concepts said:
The roots type blowers (Eaton, KB, etc.) make great power down low, nice flat torque curves, but they seem to be limited in how much hp they can make. The Eaton's, like on the '03 Cobras, seem to top out at the 500-600rwhp level and tend to generate a lot of heat there. The KB's generate less heat and produce more hp, but I believe their limit is around the 700rwhp.
LOL! Limited to 700rwhp.

No offense Rad, but that is a wole lot of HP for a street driven car.

Sure, a Turbo can produce more HP if you want, but the KB kit on an '03 Cobra is a beautiful thing, and it will cost less too.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Pro Turbo Kits said:
I am biased aswell, but there is no comparison between a turbo powered car and a supercharged car, the turbo will make more power at less RPM and much more torque.

Good Luck

Keith
Keith, I don't know about that. I have seen some overlays of the KB kit on a 99GT vs. a Turbo kit from Brad, and the KB was mighty impressive. It produced TQ lower then the Turbo did and the numbers were higher on the KB kit. The Turbo kit did sustain power longer at the higher RPM's, but this 1.7 kit from KB on the 99+ 2V's are very impressive to say the least. 9# kit produced 430rwhp on a Bullit with nothing more then an X-pipe.

Not to short sell a Turbo, because they are a great power adder, but KB did it right with this kit. I also understand that Allen has a kit coming out with a 2300 Whipple for 2V's that should be a monster able to produce 600+rwhp on a good built engine streetable HP.

Now if you are looking for ,ore then that, sure a Turbo would be my choice of power adder.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
see, that's where my delima is. I know that a turbo makes awesome power. The think is I only want to stay around 550 rwhp so either a turbo or a KB will do the job just fine. Now, the last turbo i had was on a 94 rx7(twin) and i remember that there was a little, not very much, but a little turbo lag none-the-less. It that there with the setus avalible for the mustang. Thats one thing that makes the KB so attractive, full rwtq almost from the start. But i also remember that my rx7 was pretty darn fast.

·
Registered
182 Posts
mustangpete4.6 said:
see, that's where my delima is. I know that a turbo makes awesome power. The think is I only want to stay around 550 rwhp so either a turbo or a KB will do the job just fine. Now, the last turbo i had was on a 94 rx7(twin) and i remember that there was a little, not very much, but a little turbo lag none-the-less. It that there with the setus avalible for the mustang. Thats one thing that makes the KB so attractive, full rwtq almost from the start. But i also remember that my rx7 was pretty darn fast.
Pete, honestly you can get there quicker with a Turbo then you will with the KB.

I have started to do my homework on possibly doing a KB or Allen kit on a 99+ 2V, and it will take a good set of heads and some cams to get me to the 550-600rwhp mark.

The point I was trying to make with the Turbo guys is there is now a good alternative, that won't cost as much and easier to install with the KB kit. It has been quite impressive to say the least.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
mustangpete4.6 said:
With a turbo v8...you may want a lil turbo lag on the street....Can we say traction problems????....BUT...today there is very little turbo lag until you get to really large turbos..if you want 550 hp.....the turbos necessary to get you there can be pretty damn small....and spool up instantly.....But at the sacrifice efficiency....in general...the larger turbo's (not huge) are better in a street car because you don't need to use much Boost to make the power

Corey

·
Registered
373 Posts
Calypso428 said:
Keith, I don't know about that. I have seen some overlays of the KB kit on a 99GT vs. a Turbo kit from Brad, and the KB was mighty impressive. It produced TQ lower then the Turbo did and the numbers were higher on the KB kit. The Turbo kit did sustain power longer at the higher RPM's, but this 1.7 kit from KB on the 99+ 2V's are very impressive to say the least. 9# kit produced 430rwhp on a Bullit with nothing more then an X-pipe.

Not to short sell a Turbo, because they are a great power adder, but KB did it right with this kit. I also understand that Allen has a kit coming out with a 2300 Whipple for 2V's that should be a monster able to produce 600+rwhp on a good built engine streetable HP.

Now if you are looking for ,ore then that, sure a Turbo would be my choice of power adder.
If you are talking about my Kenne Bell supercharged car it made 437 rwhp and 439 rwtq completely stock motor with completely stock exhaust. Boost showed 8 psi and it peaked near redline at around 8.5 psi of boost. You are at full boost the second you floor the pedal. At 1500 rpm I was already at 375 rwtq.

I looked into a turbo. I might have went that route if someone had a kit that wasn't just for "offroad use only". I couldn't find a kit that had CARB certification and would pass inspection and emissions.

·
Registered
94 Posts
the price of purchasing, install, and tuning for a blower by far are much much cheaper than the costs of tuning and purchasing a turbo kit.

Plus, no matter how fast you can get something to spool up, it still takes time, i prefer the instant boost from a roots/twin screw.

Turbo's make a lot of heat too! The "Heaton" duz make a lot of heat but not until yuor pushin double digit boost numbers, and this is from the stock factory blower. For arguments sake you cannot compare an aftermarket turbo system to a factory blower. KB vs. Turbo Kit is a much better argument. IMO, the KB will boost up faster and harder than the turbo can at lower RPM's.

Because I have an 03 Cobra, it makes it a lot easier to simply do a blower upgrade, cuz of the pulley system, Heat exchanger, Intercooler, Intake Manifold, exhaust and cams that already come with the car.

Since yours is currently NA, the only real modifications for the turbo other than tuning, is the intake plumbing, and exhaust. Blower for a GT, is pretty much just belt setup and intake tract.

The KB for GT's looked extremely amazing to me....if you had that, with some blower cams, forged internals, P/P heads. that would be one mean street machine.......

IMO, blowers will always be more fun for the street, but thats me. Both are great setups, I just feel that a GT with its 2V torquey motor would benifit more from a posi-displacement blower, than a higher RPM'd turbo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts