Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my car dynoed at a different shop than I usually goto. They have a superflow, nice clean in ground setup. They had the thing setup to report "dynojet" numbers since so many people complained about the superflow numbers being lower (ie accurate due to more accurate load presented to the car). I was just curious if any of you have had your car dynoes on a superflow that used a "dynojet" correction factor and if so, what was the difference in HP/TQ? It was a new tune and I had been admiring how powerfull it had felt and when I saw the numbers my jaw hit the floor. I had them discard the dynojet correction and did another pull and the numbers were what I had got with my previous tune on an actual dynojet, so the SOTP feeling was not just in my head.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well... I've had my car dynoed on a Superflow and a Dynojet both within a one hour time. The dynojet had a difference of 16 rwhp higher. The superflow was set up for normal operation.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My only experience is stock... DynoJet 363hp and Superflow 337hp. Personally, I don't think it matters. I would simply choose a dyno and use it to calculate the differences.

I dyno'd 363hp / 360tq at Steeda.
I then dyno'd 337hp / 320tq at Diablo.

Once I was done with all the mods, 435hp / 442tq at Diablo.

So, in all I've gained 29% more hp from stock to modded.

At Steeda, I expect to see ~460-470hp. I think the torque numbers will be about the same in the 440 to 450 range. The torque is measured, the hp is calculated.... thus the major difference.

I'll let you know in November when I have a day to hit both in one day, with similar conditions.

John

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
I'd have to further give credit to John (lethal), as DiabloSport's Superflow, and even a Mustang Dyne, do tend to spit out lower #'s than a Dynojet, and normally to the tune of 5 to 10%. I've noticed the variations on CamBirds/Vettes, as well.

If you take John's #'s from Steeda and then from DiabloSport, you will around a 7-11% difference.

Kind Regards...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've had people tell me the numbers look low and speaking with Nick at Diablo, he'll basically never discuss dyno numbers. What he will do is tell you that with ctaback, CAI and the Predator Performance tune, you'll see a 50hp difference. Add the 2.8 pulley (or, as they state specifically, 12 to 14# of boost) that you'll see a 100hp increase from stock.

The dyno is a tool, and should be used to show differences in the relative power of a car, based on the criteria of the day (temp, humidity, etc). Most important is that the car is tuned safely, make sure the a/f is happy and then look at your hp/tq =)

I hope everyone makes the power (safely) that they want.

John

P.S. And everyone thank James, he does a bang up job, if I had to purchase the Predator, I would have bought it from him, for the customer service alone.

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. The reason I asked is this. I have been trying to get a flat (or semi flat A/F) for some time now. The whole while the HP/TQ numbers have been a pretty consistant 540rwhp/504ish tq on a dyno jet(which for a 17psi KB isnt that great, even with stock inj). I even had the car dyno'd on a different dyno with a tune from another company and it was still 540rwhp. I just got another reburn back from diablo and asked Patrick to bump rev limiter up to 7k (I try and shift at 6200 or so but as we all know stock tach can lag and I didnt want to hit rev limiter). I also had him remove top speed limiter, traction control and rear O2's cause my bassani cats are falling apart.

Anyways, car was feeling super stong compared to previous tunes and I hit this place in town that has the superflow and they had it set to report dynojet numbers. It layed down 638rwhp which surprised the hell out of me so I asked him to get rid of the dynojet correction factor and run straight superflow. Even in normal superflow mode it laid down 540rwhp. Assuming approx 10% diff from my previous dynojet numbers to current superflow numbers that would put me close to 600rwhp on a dynojet or an approxiamte 50+hp increase over the old tunes I have tried which would likely account for the wicked performance difference I have noticed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds like Patrick hooked you up in a major way. Talk to Brian (toofast) you may have his tune now.

John

·
Registered
24 Posts
My dyno experience was at Diablosport then Steeda too. Two weeks after that, I dyno'ed on a Mustang Dynamometer at Razor's Edge. That was a lot different too. My torque was over 600.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts