Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are suspension upgrades necessary for this car when increasing the power output of the car? ie: subframes, caster/camber plates, IRS Hop Kit, etc. What do you recommend for a street car with a similar setup to Rob Raymer's power output? That is what I'm shooting for.

G

·
subframes are a must, if you want to enjoy the car you will need the hop shocks too, unless you want to ride around on 13 psi et streets all the time, lol

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
matt lankford said:
subframes are a must, if you want to enjoy the car you will need the hop shocks too, unless you want to ride around on 13 psi et streets all the time, lol
Matt, what about the Amazon springs? If I do get these, will I need Caster/Camber plates? Are the springs really worth it?

G

·
yes, when you lower the car you should do CC plates so you can get it aligned and your front tires will last. the springs will no dobut help the hop as well and improve handeling but if your going with robs (QMP) headers id be careful , LTs hang a little lower than stock exaust and if you drop it 1.5 inches you may rub on eevrything. thats the biggest reason i abandoned my k-member/coil over 1.5 inch drop plans. i think i measured the ground clearance between the bottom of the collectors to the road at about 4.25 inches

·
Registered
218 Posts
Suspension upgrades, like performance upgrades, are never necessary. It is all about how much you want and can afford to do to improve the performance and suspension dynamics of your vehicle.

"When a Mustang has been lowered too much, not only do braking and steering compliance suffer significantly, the reduction in effective roll stiffness causes rear traction problems as well. This is very evident in the 03 Cobra where the ball joint pip is 14.79 mm above the maximum optimum location." - William Mathis

A half-inch drop max. Any more and you may be looking at a Steeda X2 Ball Joint Kit to correct suspension geometry.

With regards to suspension upgrades, start with chassis bracing and the the IRS.

1. Full length subframe connectors (welded, not bolted on).
2. Replace stock crossmember #4 bushing with polyurethane or Delrin/Delron material.
3. Replace front subframe bushings with polyurethane or Delrin/Delron material.
4. Consider revalved dampers (i.e. AR Stage I IRS Kit)
5. Consider stiffer springs/cc plates that do not lower the car beyond a half-inch.
6. Consider an in-floor frame kit.
7. Consider a roll cage.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How about this?:

- Amazon Racing Stage 1 IRS Shock Kit: $450.00
- Amazon Racing Stage 2 IRS Spring Kit: $299.00
- Amazon Racing Front Bushing Kit: $69.00
- MM Full-Length Subframe Connectors: $149.00
- MM Caster/Camber Plates: $199.00

Anything else to improve upon ox?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hunter said:
$1166 plus installation fees.:jawdrop
Installation shouldn't be a problem since one of my relatives lives like an hour from where I go to college and he has a full garage w/lift. He builds custom hot-rods so he has EVERYTHING!!!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hunter said:
I wish I had a friend with a lift.:banghead
Yeah, it helps a WHOLE bunch. I installed my headers on my 91 GT w/o a lift and that sucked major balls.

·
Registered
218 Posts
> Amazon Racing Stage 1 IRS Shock Kit: $450.00

I cannot speak from experience, but anecdotal evidence points to the AR Kit as being helpful in reducing wheel hop.

> Amazon Racing Stage 2 IRS Spring Kit: $299.00

From what I gather, 1.5" lowers the car beyond the optimum location for the pip of the ball joint and the front control arm pivot position.

> Amazon Racing Front Bushing Kit: $69.00

I cannot speak from experience. Exactly which bushings are replaced and by what material(s)?

> MM Full-Length Subframe Connectors

The de-facto standard among subframe connectors. That said, I went with these: <http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=24107> instead.

> MM Caster/Camber Plates

Along with Griggs Racing Camber Plate Kit, the de-facto standard among subframe connectors.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hunter said:
...so, where do you go to college?
Harding University in Searcy, Arkansas. Its a small, private Christian college.

·
Registered
218 Posts
> Anything else to improve upon ox?

If and when they release them, MM front and rear strut tower braces and in-floor frame kit.

·
Registered
94 Posts
ox03-

After I went to your svt link I couldn't get the grc link to work. I then tried grcperformance.com and that wouldn't work for me either.?.?:confused:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ox03 said:
> Anything else to improve upon ox?

If and when they release them, MM front and rear strut tower braces and in-floor frame kit.
ox, why did you go with the GRC's instead of the MM pieces? I could get through-the-floor subframe connectors from Wolfe Racecraft in Arlington, TX but wouldn't that show through the actual floor? I want a lowered street beast with no wheel hop...not a full-on road race car.

·
Registered
218 Posts
> ...I couldn't get the grc link to work.

I called and they took the site down for maintenance.

> ...wouldn't that show through the actual floor?

Yes.

> ...why did you go with the GRC's instead of the MM pieces?

A firm MM consumer myself, I held and inspected both subframes multiple times. The GRC subframes were heavier, of superior build and of greater length. The GRC subframes also come equipped with two torque box reinforcement plates. A definite plus. The MM subframes are great stand-alone subframes, but engineered to work with their packaged systems.

> I want a lowered street beast with no wheel hop...

An in-floor frame kit will help with both applications, drag or road racing.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ox, how much were the GRC pieces? Would the Steeda X2 balljoints help me if I did lower the car 1.5"? Will they fit?

·
Registered
218 Posts
> ...how much were the GRC pieces?

$129.00 minus S&H. Bear in minds that the subframes are fairly sturdy (i.e. heavy) and S&H costs may not be in your favor.

> Would the Steeda X2 Balljoints help me if I did lower the car 1.5"?

I cannot speak from experience as I have not driven nor reviewed the dynamics of the AR Kits + Steeda X2 Balljoint Kit. Offhand, it should.

> Will they fit?

The Steeda X2 Balljoint kit will fit the '03 Cobra.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts