Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that SVT has a Freon based super intercooler used on its newest lightning prototype. It super cools the intake charge much like my nitrous system. Works for about 40 seconds then recharges and will cool again in minutes if need be. Adds about 50 horsepower. I guess it works off the a/c some how. Pretty cool idea.
Something like that anyway....

Harry Mager
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Registered
521 Posts
That would be nice technology to have for the 03.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm Sorry, I thought they were based on the same idea just went about accomplishing them in different ways. Kind of like a positive displacement supercharger and a centrifugal one. Or I could be wrong, this type of mod is very greek to me.

Seems like matt's would be better since it doesnt have to recharge every 40 seconds, as it's just an extention of the heat exchanger. And if the other one is gonna run off of the A/C isn't that gonna cause you to lose 20hp or so from the A/C running?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lomancobra said:
Matt L*nkford has a custom built one in his car.
[/url]
That is just a radiator that we have basically..just larger. There are alot of guys out there with that setup. It has nothing to do with Freon or the Air Conditioning of the car. The Freon cools the intake charge dramatically compared to air hitting a radiator. Do you think air hitting a radiator on a 90 degree day is going to be as good as airconditioning freon cooling the system. The Lightning will still have an intercooler setup like we have stock on our 03 or better like the powercooler radiator....but when an extra 50 horsepower is needed....thats when this super cooler will come into play. And 40 seconds worth of supercooling sure is enough when you are blasting down a quartermile.

I hope this technology comes out for our cars in the aftermarket.

Harry Mager
www.HotRodHarrys.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lomancobra said:
And if the other one is gonna run off of the A/C isn't that gonna cause you to lose 20hp or so from the A/C running?
I think it will have the a/c cooling it before you get on the car...and when you get on the car...like with our cars stock and the a/c on...the a/c turns off....so the cooling process is already done before you get on the car. No power lost

It exactly like me using my nitrous system I have on my 03. I put it on to cool the intake charge to produce some great horsepower without having to use a big shot of nitrous. I knew these cars needed to cool that air down as much as possible to make the best horsepower. So what Ford is doing is along the same line.

Harry Mager
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Kinda old news. This came out months back.

What Matt has is not like this at all. He had a tank made that you put ice and water in. The hot intercooler fluid is pumped to the cooler then runs though copper coils to transfer the heat to the ice water.

Lightning guys have had ice coolers for years. On the F150 you can put a huge one in the bed or under the bed. The problem is you need ice for it to work. And it needs to be big to be effective.

The Ford one will store up liquid cooled by the A/C system, then release it when you go full throttle. In less than a minute, it's ready to go again. You can't beat that. A light shows you when it's ready.

The ice coolers have hot coolant running through ice water tanks. The power cooler will have cold coolant going straight to the intercooler.

I like this from that link:

Q: Can the supercooler be used on other Ford products?

A: Anything that is boosted (with a supercharger or turbocharger) and has an intercooler. The Mustang Cobra has that setup. The GT has it. You draw your own conclusions. If we need more power, it's on tap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you guys think this will be something that we can control manually, or do you think it will be based on throttle position once charged? I think this sounds like a great idea. I'd love to have it manually activated:)

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Once the light comes on to say it's ready, you just go to WOT and it activates.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
slightly off-topic, but I just realized something....that quote from Coletti says "the GT has it", referring to being boosted/intercooled.

does this lend credence to the rumor that next years GT will offer the Eaton as an option? :confused:

·
Registered
87 Posts
JB said:
slightly off-topic, but I just realized something....that quote from Coletti says "the GT has it", referring to being boosted/intercooled.

does this lend credence to the rumor that next years GT will offer the Eaton as an option? :confused:
I believe he is referring to the Ford GT. You know, the $110,000+ supercar that looks like the old GT40?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
of course, you're right

ooops, I had a brain freeze and forgot about the GT and the new Lysholm

I sure wish they coulda kept the GT40 name.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: of course, you're right

JB said:
ooops, I had a brain freeze and forgot about the GT and the new Lysholm

I sure wish they coulda kept the GT40 name.....
Ford sold the rights to that GT40 name way back , thinking they would never need to use it again....duuuuh!

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Registered
177 Posts
In addition to the IAT in the intake tube, is there an IAT sensor inside the incooler? I suppose there must be since the engine must know exactly how hot or cold is the air actually going into the engine. Anyone know for sure?

-Nino

1 - 19 of 19 Posts