Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Night Trains Daddy
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll probably make 50 passes this year and will probably never autocross...should I go ahead and swap with a GT? What would you do?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
No way would I go back to solid after driving this IRS. The only way I would ever consider it is if it is a dedicated drag car.

·
400 Posts
I would stay IRS. As more and more products become available to improve the strength and reliability of the IRS it will be the way to go. The main question that people have to think about is how they are going to use there car and how far they are willing to go with it. Once you change to a solid axle you have crossed the line with the car as far as the way it handled and the value of it. A lot to think about. If you are using it to race all the time with tall slicks you should think about a solid axle. We will be running the entire NMRA circut next year with the IRS and slicks and alot of street use so I'll stay IRS.
Something else to remember, a stock gt rear won't cut it at all. The main reason to go Solid axle is to run sticky tires. You will break axles with sticky tires real quick. The stock 28 spline axles and track loc won't hold up at all. So once you get a gt rear you'll have to spend another $600-$1000 to beef it up enough to handle the torque of these cars.

Rick

·
Registered
40 Posts
AmazonRacing said:
The main reason to go Solid axle is to run sticky tires. You will break axles with sticky tires real quick. The stock 28 spline axles and track loc won't hold up at all. So once you get a gt rear you'll have to spend another $600-$1000 to beef it up enough to handle the torque of these cars.

Rick
yep what he said, we put one in our car when it was about 2 weeks old:D

jb

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
I am getting ready to swap in solid axle into my 01 Cobra next week.:D Honestly I would really like to keep my IRS but even with the upgrades available, Cars have broke at the track on tires. I have already paid one tow bill from the track in the amount of $176.50 and I'll be dammed if I do it again because of the IRS.

I found a cool guy with an 02 GT to swap with. I will also be adding 4:10 Gears, 31 spline Moser axles, Auburn pro series diff, Mac Catback that will work with the solid axle setup as opposed to the IRS, And some Steeda Springs to lower my fender to tire gap a bit. I will have about $1700 dollars wrapped up in this project, But it is well worth it for 6500rpm launches on ET Streets. :D

My car is a daily driver and I will be running it at the track as well. I have heard from everyone who has done the swap that it's the best thing they have done. So if you too want high rpm launches on some stickies then the best choice for our cars at this time is apparent to all. I know that the 03 IRS is stronger than mine, But it's not if it will break, It's when will it break.;)

Good luck to you,
Razor.

·
400 Posts
Razor the power your car is making solid axle is a must. With Linn's car I went to 4:30's and found them to be perfect. I had 4.10's in my car pretty much same setup as you but in a 97 and thought the 4.10's came up just a tad short. Good luck with the combo and let us know how it turns out.

Rick

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
AmazonRacing said:
Razor the power your car is making solid axle is a must. With Linn's car I went to 4:30's and found them to be perfect. I had 4.10's in my car pretty much same setup as you but in a 97 and thought the 4.10's came up just a tad short. Good luck with the combo and let us know how it turns out.

Rick
Thanks Rick. You know I have been considering going to 4:30's with this swap but I don't want to run out of gear in the 1/4 . I think it's highly unlikely that I would hit redline in 4th. at the 1320 mark or before, But then again I just don't know.:confused: I also plan to make a few 1/8th mile passes and I'm not sure how the 4:30's would effect that either. I'm all for adding a little more gear if it will work.:D If you have any knowlege of this on the 01 5-speed cars like mine then let me know.

The main place I plan to be is at MIR. I noticed you are in Maryland and hope to see you there this year. I will be running on ET Streets, But I'm not intereseted in any drag suspension because this is my daily driver. I'll be happy with whatever times I pull regardless of a lowered car that isn't prepped suspension wise for the track. I have just always been a fan of straight up door slamming street cars.:cool:

Razor.

G

·
When my 93 coupe/ 96 Cobra test mule was racing with the DOHC 4.6 it had 4.56 gears and 28 inch tall slicks. It would cross the line around 6800 rpms and the times were in the 12.20s at 115 mph. That was with an h pipe..no cats and flowmaster mufflers..no tailpipes...it was more than 2 tenths quicker in the 1/4 mile without running the tailpipes. The motor was the stock whatever prototype motor ...the trans was a T5 not a T56.....had a special bellhousing to adapt that trans. The rear was the 8.8. The car also had 4 wheel disc brakes too and the same hydroboost type brakes system as the 96s came out with.
That might help you out abit.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Thanks for the info Harry. I spoke with one my people who is helping me with my car and he says not to go the 4:30 route. He thinks it would be a bit much with my setup. I started thinking about what he said and he might be right. I do plan on pressing my luck in the near future by cranking my boost a little higher.:D I think I will wait for racing season to hit and do some testing at the track before I decide wether or not to install more gear. I'm predicting it will go between 11.20-11.50 as it sits right now. Most speculate that it's a high 10 second car but I don't think so. We will surely know come March.:D

Razor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts