Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is it to swap the rear springs on our car?

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
How hard is it to swap the rear springs on our car?
Not very... depends on how you do it mostly :wink:

When I ran conventional springs in my car I always would take out the rear 12mm bolts out of the subframe and slowly lower the back of the IRS (this of course with the car on jackstands and a floor jack underneath the subframe) and the springs would just fall right out. You might need an extra set of hands getting them back in when jacking the subframe back up, but it isn't that bad. Of course doing it this way I always dropped the catback down... but then again that's not really difficult either.

There are a few other ways to do this as well... I'm sure someone else will give an example. Whatever you do don't drop the entire subframe just to do the springs!! You'll have one hell of a time getting it back in if you do :dumb:

Shannon

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Dropping the IRS subframe, whether just the front or the entire thing, is definitely the easiest way! Not hard at all.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I tried FOURCED's method but my stock bolts were so cross threaded they wouldn't come out for nothing. I ended up renting the spring compressor from autozone to get the springs out and back in.

I've since changed out the bolts for low profiles...thought for sure they would snap off, but they eventually came out with the aid of a 3' breaker bar and a lot of time.

·
Registered
308 Posts
it was pretty easy in my case. I removed the shocks on the IRS where they bolted up. Then I unbolted the exhaust hangers at the tips. After that I placed a jack under the IRS and removed the back two IRS frame bolts and then tilted it down. The springs fell out.

·
Blower Whine Junkie
618 Posts
I used FOURCED's method and it was very easy.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1,207 Posts
Here's another vote for easy. :) Good luck!

·
Registered
681 Posts
i used to just use the spring compressors, remove wheel and shock bolt on lower arm and let lower arm as far down as it goes, zip up the spring compressor w/impact and pull springs out. some lowering springs dont require spring compressor to install or to remove, my kenny browns dont. and thats with mm isolators. with stockers i needed compressor to remove, tried pry bar but no way

1 - 8 of 8 Posts