Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall. i got question about my tranny. ive got an 01 GT with a T-45. ive got an S-trim with SHM blower cams, etc. i havent had the car dynoed yet so i dont know what my actual rwhp is, but for the sake of arguement, lets just say 390 @ the wheels with a similar amount of torque. its my understanding the the T-45 is rated at a max of 350 lb-ft. i dont powershift my car and dont plan on running it at the track on sticky tires for a while, so should i be worried about it breaking? thanks for any input
ryan

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Don't Power shift and it will last..Get of Shifter if you don't alreadt have one..

·
Registered
29 Posts
My first T45 lasted 20,000 miles with 400rwtq and I wasnt very easy on it....I never powershift, but shifted it hard and fast. The tranny would have continued to live but after a series of back to back runs it overheated and torched the input and counter shaft gears.

My second T45, was bought after it had been "gone through" by someone unknown to me. It lasted 400miles and probably only 10-20 hard shifts.

I recomend synthetic fluid to help keep temps down. Avoid powershift, multiple back to back runs, and extended high speed runs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had ripped my trans out 2 times in a year and never had it on the track with near stock HP.Sould get ready to by a better tran with the supercharger on.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
I'd say you should step up to a 3550..

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the input guys. i know i really need a stronger tranny, its just a $ thing now. my whole drivetrain is the following: DSS pro mod shortblock, S-trim (stock pulley), SHM cams, 42 #ers, LMAF, JMS chip, SPEC stage 3 clutch. i dont have a power pipe (yet). ive been trying to be as gentle as possible with the tranny cause if it breaks, im walking.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Black01GT said:
thanks for the input guys. i know i really need a stronger tranny, its just a $ thing now. my whole drivetrain is the following: DSS pro mod shortblock, S-trim (stock pulley), SHM cams, 42 #ers, LMAF, JMS chip, SPEC stage 3 clutch. i dont have a power pipe (yet). ive been trying to be as gentle as possible with the tranny cause if it breaks, im walking.
Ask Jason how he breaks all of his trannys and then do the opposite...:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts