Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

· Premium Member
8,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been slowly working at it and last weekend got the motor out all by myself! and today Started tearing it down to find the issue.

· Premium Member
8,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

so far all my untrained eye can see is the dent in the gasket....under cylinder #3

Im assuming that was probably there when the put it on back in 2002 though???

· Premium Member
8,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you pushed the pistons out yet? Thats where all your damage is going to be.
no...tomorrow morning I will tear into the shortblock. I guess in my mind I was kind of hoping it was just a head gasket

· Yes...it can be done
3,138 Posts
If it's only a head gasket, re-ring / re-bearing...and go?

· Premium Member
8,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it's only a head gasket, re-ring / re-bearing...and go?
Donyou think that dent could be it?? I haven't looked under the gasket yet but the top looks fine.

· Premium Member
8,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike, this is Jake Conant. Nice to see you on here!

I was getting water in my oil. So looking for HG issue or a crack.

· Premium Member
8,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would have to see the gasket in person, as well as a dirty head; but it does look like the culprit.

Remember, DIRTY gasket & DIRTY head..
Would that not allow Water into the cylinder? Car ran fine, no smoke. And wouldn't the cylinder / piston look different?

· Registered
6,795 Posts
Mike, this is Jake Conant. Nice to see you on here!

I was getting water in my oil. So looking for HG issue or a crack.
On every single pass right? Didn't you say you were changing the oil every pass and it was milkshake every time?

Heads don't get assembled with gaskets like that.

You might see evidence on the piston or head if coolant was constantly running through a particular cylinder. I sort of suspect you were lifting the heads when boost/nitrous/cylinder pressure came in, and the head would reseal during normal function.... such as pulling it off the trailer and putting it in the garage for a teardown. That could mask things a bit.... although I do remember very distinctly smelling coolant out of your exhaust while I was behind you in the staging lanes.

That is all based on the limited knowledge we have right now of the teardown with pistons in and only one head off. You might find a crack in the cylinder once you get those pistons out. I've seen 2 Cobras here in St. Louis have that happen. The cars would drive fine during normal operation, but a few WOT pulls, and oil was milky, and coolant systems were being pressurized.

· Registered
6,795 Posts
Also, I see you had the valve cover off the passenger side head before you even pulled the engine. Any reason you were suspect of something on that bank? Were plugs goofy there? I don't remember...

· un1230/Whipple3.4/ Teksid
2,453 Posts
I've got a stink'en feeling the problem is still yet to be found, I'm betting on a crack low in cyllinder bore extending up & down into main webing IMO. You will soon find it though when you dig a little deeper and it may not be as noticeable as you might expect.

· Premium Member
8,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, I see you had the valve cover off the passenger side head before you even pulled the engine. Any reason you were suspect of something on that bank? Were plugs goofy there? I don't remember...
I was changing it after a day at the track regardless of passes wether it was 2 or 6 and everytime it was milky but it was deff worse down in BG. Before BG it would be more yellowish and then down there it was deff more white...you saw it...lol

took the valve cover off as we were having a hard time finding TDC to do the leakdown and my friend said lets remove a cover to see the cam position. I know, we suck...haha

· Premium Member
8,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
btw...was suggest to me to check the crankshaft play before I dig into it....should i and if so how?

2,453 Posts
btw...was suggest to me to check the crankshaft play before I dig into it....should i and if so how?
You can just for knowing, but at this point it doen't really matter.

Imo the correct and most accurate way to do this is with a dial indicator,after you've pulled all the pistons out of their holes, attach the dial indicator to the engine block either end and place the plunger of the indicator against the crank ends and with a prybar gently pry crank all the way fowards or backwards , zero the indicator, push the crank back the other way, take your reading.

· Premium Member
8,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The fire ring should be as clean as the day the gasket was installed.
Also when metal is kinked it comes from stress at an incident angle from the kink.
and the fire ring is the top of the cylinder around the gasket right? im taking a guess...

2,453 Posts
The fire ring should be as clean as the day the gasket was installed.
Also when metal is kinked it comes from stress at an incident angle from the kink.
So if that's the case wouldn't be you see a slight egg shape or out round fire ring? I'm not buying on the head gaskets yet keep digging deeper

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.