Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
241 - 246 of 246 Posts

·
Administrator
1965 Superformance 427 Cobra, & 2022 BMW M850
9,477 Posts
I am on the same page as Kevin, Herb. The Vampire is just untouchable! Think about this for a second, it reacts within less than one ignition event the moment it detects the onset of knock. When it does, it pulls a user adjustable, preprogramed, amount of advance from just the offending cylinder. If the cylinder does not knock again, it begins to add timing back until it hears knock once again. If it hears knock again it pulls timing on the next ignition event for that cylinder to eliminate the knock. It does all this stuff in real time on a cylinder by cylinder basis every time you start your engine.

There is no other knock detection / correction product available today anywhere, from anyone that is capable of this kind of performance. Sooo, that begs the obvious question, what could you possibly use that is better?

Ed

·
Registered
208 Posts
What to do with knock sensors? went back and read posts on the Vampire. Is that still the way to go? Have not seen any recent posts about it. It looks like the actual sensor can be mounted anywhere on the block and not under the intake.
I second the Vampire. I would not have had to rebuild my engine if one had been present. I would also have known the full extent of the problem. I have the sensor on the motor mount pedestal not used by the motor mount, but you can put it almost anywhere you like solidly attached to the engine.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
Crank Stud modification. I am not using an 03 cobra pulley, using an 03 Mach 1 with the Metco lower drive. The 2" OD hardened washer from ARP does not fit the Mach 1 drive pulley. Needs to be no more than 1.5" OD. I am not finding that on ARP's site. Cant even find the washer I bought several years ago which I believe was AZW200. Anybody seeing any issues if I just have it machined down to 1.5" OD? Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Rim Gas

·
Administrator
9,477 Posts
Herb, you got the plan. The reason I chose that washer was both it's robust physical properties and also the fact I could cut it down to fit the application. Just mount it on a stud, place the assembly in a lathe and cut it to the diameter you need for the damper you are using.

Ed

·
Administrator
9,477 Posts
Good job Herb! That's the way it's done.

Ed

241 - 246 of 246 Posts