Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
261 - 273 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
This is what I would run and what I run on my car. Or even the Terminator X series, but I like the HP better.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
This is what I would run and what I run on my car. Or even the Terminator X series, but I like the HP better.

Do you know if this kit comes with ignition and injector harness? Not a very good description as to what is included. What about tuning it? Transmission control?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Do you know if this kit comes with ignition and injector harness? Not a very good description as to what is included. What about tuning it? Transmission control?
The Dominator and Terminator X can control 4r70. All the Holley complete kits come with ignition and injector harnesses. There is tuners all over the country that can tune holley and really, you can learn how to tune it yourself also.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
The Dominator and Terminator X can control 4r70. All the Holley complete kits come with ignition and injector harnesses. There is tuners all over the country that can tune holley and really, you can learn how to tune it yourself also.
The Terminator X seems to fit what I need, but not seeing one that lists my exact set up. I have EV6 injectors with EV1 adapters (can remove those) but they say 98 and later 4R70W. Mine is a 96. I will call them tomorrow and see what fits my application. The Dominator is a lot more money and not sure I would use all its capabilities since this is hot rod and not a racer!
I appreciate the input!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
You can but you won't be happy. Dump the '96 ECU and go aftermarket. The unit you want is the MS3Pro from DIY Autotune. Click here => MS3Pro P-N-P The system uses the OEM wiring harness and comes with a base tune for a Supercharged Terminator, which is basically what you are building.
This looks like a great unit, but since I am not replacing the stock unit a 03 cobra, I don't think it is the best fit for my application. I would still have to source the harness or build my own. I think the Holley solution may work for me.

Thanks for the input, Ed!

·
Administrator
9,775 Posts
They handle all manner of n/a and boosted Ford and other engines, pushrod, or OHC. The most important thing is what feature sets are most important to you and how much you personally intend to spend. When you get closure on those two data points, the EFI unit you want will become quite evident.

·
Administrator
9,775 Posts
Today's question. Does the IAC from the 96 Mark VIII operate the same way one from the 2003 cobra does?
Most likely but not sure. The best bet is to use the proper IAC for the year and engine.

Second question. How many bar is the stock 2003 cobra MAP sensor?
The stock sensor is a 1.0/1.5 maybe 2 BAR MAP sensor. If I had to bet, I would bet 1.0/1.5 because the OEM boost was below 10 psi. Bosch makes some very nice integrated IAT2/MAP sensors from 2BAR up to more than 4 BAR in 0.5 BAR increments.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 · (Edited)
Is the IAT2 MAP sensor the only intake air temp sensor on the cobra? Does someone have the pin out for this connector?

I found the IAT1 but it was not popping up in my searches. The real question is, are both needed for the Holley Terminator X Max? I have read on other forums that that IAT2 is the important one to tuners. The instructions (on their web site) only references "MAT" sensor. If there was not supercharger there would only be the IAT1.

Auto part Fashion accessory Composite material Formal gloves Metal

·
Administrator
9,775 Posts
The reason Ford uses two sensors is because they use a Mass Air Flow based fueling model and need to know what the air temp is prior to compression by the blower so the ECU can figure out the air mass after compression by the blower. The expressions used to do these calcs are (P1*V1/T1)= P2*V2/T2 and PV=ηRT where η is Avagadro's number (6.023x10^23). Mass Air based systems (those that use a MAF) need these calculations to balance the fuel delivery in pounds per unit time to the engine's air consumption in pounds per unit time.

In a speed density application, the designers do not use mass air flow so these sorts of calculations are not meaningful. One of the reasons the speed density version of EFI needs recalibration for weather or altitude is the lack of an air mass calculation in the fuel delivery model. In a MAF-based system, the ECU measures the air mass using the MAF sensor and corrects the fuel delivery to match the commanded lambda (or AFR) for ambient conditions. In a Speed Density system the system looks at the Ve table and corrects fuel delivery to match the Ve target in the Ve table, irrespective of the actual ambient conditions outside. When outside atmospheric conditions change, i.e. temperature, barometric pressure, etc., The calibrations in the Ve table do not change with the ambient conditions. The upshot is the need to retune if you wish to maintain the same engine performance as the air changes.

A "MAT" sensor is an air temperature sensor. A MAF sensor is a Mass Air Flow sensor. Because EFI matches pounds of air to pounds of fuel according to the recipe we provide it, these sensors give the ECU the information it needs to do those calculations. When someone explained this to me years ago, his commentary about the difference was explained at a two-dimensional rendering of an image (like a photo) vs looking at a three-dimensional rendering of the object — i.e. a 3D printed object. That third dimension he was speaking to was the actual air mass that the MAF reports to the ECU. Both systems work. One system requires intervention as the weather and local atmospheric conditions change the other does not.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Herb, I'm not sure if you kept up with my setup but I'm running the Terminator X Max. It controls the 4R70W I have. The standard X does not control the trans from what I understand. I got the setup for EV6 injectors for my B headed setup, COP and the late model 4R70W. The 97 and earlier trans can be used but you have to repin the connector. There are pinout diagrams all over the net. I went ahead and swapped my solenoid and connector pack in my 94 trans to the 98 and newer stuff. It was easy. Just have to drop the VB out of the way to get the connector out of the case. No problem. The only concern I have is that I hooked the VSS and the OSS connectors both to the trans and one of them shouldn't be. Holley thinks I'm going 25-30mph when I'm actually going 55 and it shifts way high. I was told the newer trans needs the OSS connected and there are 2 different sensors. I have an 03 4R70W that I picked up to swap (not doing it now since it's staying NA) and I'm going to check that sensor to see if there is a difference in parts. I love the Holley. Super easy to install and easily gets a startup tune loaded. You still should take it to a dyno or get the laptop and connector for it. I'm going to be doing that once the engine is back in the car. I had the low oiling to the heads from the tight timing setup issue that destroyed my heads. I now have a set of 98 heads and am reassembling the engine again. The things these guys mentioned make sense and they know their stuff. I'm going to be ordering my flipped tensioner soon and am working the ratchet tensioner mod now. I picked up another fairlane so now I'm at 3. 2 door hardtop, 2 door sedan and you know my 4 door.

261 - 273 of 273 Posts