Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Televised High performance vehicle test

A recent test was televised with several vehicles including the 03 Cobra. They listed a top speed of 159 for the cobra, somewhat lower than the z06. Is this drag limited or speed cut out via the chip? I would expect the car to reach 170 or so with out a chip cut out. The viper topped out around 180. The Cobra did well in the overall handling case with only cars such as the lamborgini, z06, viper, coming out ahead.

G

·
Let us know what network that was on and if its on again.

The 03 Cobra is limited by the computer to 155 mph usually. I am sure it could go alot faster...but she will start lifting off the ground at higher speeds. A front downforce spoiler and rear wing like the Cobra R's came with are needed for that.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was on the speed channel (cable) and was on a Motor Trend show. It was on the last weekend as well so may be on next week or tomorrow. It compared around 10+ high performance vehicles with the cobra and the lightning from SVT. The lamborgini ran over 200 mph with the lightning topping out at 146. It included a lancer (Mitzubishi) 250+hp 4 wheel drive that did well in the handling test, as well.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I saw it on Speed channel yesterday. They made mention of getting GM's permisson to remove the speed limiter on the Vette, but didnt say anything about it when it came time to test the Cobra. Nice looking RedFire though.

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
The computer controlled speed limit is set for the tires a vehicle is equipped with. We have people sueing for spilling hot coffee on themselves, imagine what kind of liability ford would have if the car let people exceed the speed rating of the tires they put on a vehicle? I beleive our are 98W and the vettes are Y rated (ie 186mph)

Here are the speed ratings

Q 99 mph
S 112 mph
T 118 mph
U 124 mph
H 130 mph
V 149 mph
W 168 mph
Y 186 mph
Z Above 149 mph

·
Registered
277 Posts
I saw the tail end also. It man me happy to see my Cobra among other amazing 70 thousand plus dollar cars.

·
Registered
31 Posts
With a chip and exhaust I have hit over 175...I was racing a couple buddies...car felt pretty stable,even though its not too comfy going at those speeds...btw I had my Odometer show me my speed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts