Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who has used these? any PTV problems? im looking at swapping camshafts and im debating the TFS S1, comp 262 &270. car is a 2000 GT vert 5spd. daily driver. looking to increase power and better sound. has typical bolt ons. im mostly interested in which cam will give the most power, less likely to have ptv issues, and preferrably use stock springs. any other cam suggestions will be looked into. also it is possible to change springs with the heads still on the car correct? if so i may look into that aswell. remember this is my daily so driveability first max power 2nd. id like a good sounding cam aswell, if its all possible. lol

·
Registered
328 Posts
I don't think the TFS cams are available yet, although they're starting to show up in the catalogs, so noone probably has any experience with them except for the testers.

·
Wangan GTO
1,425 Posts
Ditto,
Last time I checked there is a OMFG waiting list. But I'm sure the TFS guy will chime in soon enough.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh. i just saw them listed in the new summit catalog and i liked the price. any info on the comp 262's or 270's?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Take a look at the Hi-tech stage II cams. On the site it says that stock springs can be used up to 6100 rpms. They have a nice sound and several people with them are putting down around 300 rwhp and running in the 12s. Im considering these for 00 gt as well which is my daily driver.
Matt

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just checked out there sight. i love the way that white GT sounds. and they say stock springs are good to 6400rpm, which i wont turn that high. $600 is a bit steep, guess ill start saving. gotta do long tubes and a k-member first.

·
Registered
745 Posts
$600 is about the norm. Only Trick Flow offers theres for like $449 I think it is. Definitley get the Hitechs. Search for them on here and you will find Trevor04GT's car. He did the Hitechs a few months ago and did a write up and videos.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
$600 is about the norm. Only Trick Flow offers theres for like $449 I think it is. Definitley get the Hitechs. Search for them on here and you will find Trevor04GT's car. He did the Hitechs a few months ago and did a write up and videos.
thats the main reason i was looking into the trick flows. and in all honesty ill probably just pay someone to install the cams and do a tune, as long as it isnt too much. Ive never tore into a ohc engine and dont really want to learn on my daily driver.

·
Registered
745 Posts
thats the main reason i was looking into the trick flows. and in all honesty ill probably just pay someone to install the cams and do a tune, as long as it isnt too much. Ive never tore into a ohc engine and dont really want to learn on my daily driver.
Well, if you think $600 is a bit steep for cams you're definitely not going to like what it costs to install them. Install for cams + springs at a performance shop is around $1,000. Cams with stock springs will probably be $600-$800. You also need to get the car tuned after so you're looking at another $350 for a dyno tune. If you can get someone to them for you who has done cam swaps before that would be much cheaper. A guy who is kind of local to me (100mi away) offered to do cams + springs on my car for $350 last year. He has a family owned shop and has cams in his mustang which runs mid 12's. Someone like that I would trust. He also guarantees his work. If you can find someone similar to this guy, it will save you alot of money.

·
Registered
492 Posts
what kind of hp numbers have you guys seen with the cams.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, if you think $600 is a bit steep for cams you're definitely not going to like what it costs to install them. Install for cams + springs at a performance shop is around $1,000. Cams with stock springs will probably be $600-$800. You also need to get the car tuned after so you're looking at another $350 for a dyno tune. If you can get someone to them for you who has done cam swaps before that would be much cheaper. A guy who is kind of local to me (100mi away) offered to do cams + springs on my car for $350 last year. He has a family owned shop and has cams in his mustang which runs mid 12's. Someone like that I would trust. He also guarantees his work. If you can find someone similar to this guy, it will save you alot of money.
i was expecting the $400 dollar range. I have another car to drive so downtime isnt that important, i just have no experience at all with ohc (i put a belt and water pump on an ex's elantra, lol) im not scared to try it, id just rather leave it to someone that can do it quicker and without worring. if its out of budget, then i guess ill balls up and do it. and i say $600 was a bit steep because this is my DD, not my play toy. im just bored with the power (or lack of) in the 00 now. Ive done a couple cam swaps before, just never on a SOHC, my main worry is getting the timing chain and everything right. the cam itself is basically unbolt and bolt, correct?

·
Registered
745 Posts
what kind of hp numbers have you guys seen with the cams.
Depends on the cams. Most cams will get you around 35rwhp. With full bolt ons i've seen the following:
CMS Stage 1: ~25rwhp
CMS Stage 2: 30-35rwhp
Hitech Stage 2: 40-45rwhp

·
Registered
492 Posts
ok has anyone had anyone ever had any problems with the hi-techs

·
Registered
745 Posts
i was expecting the $400 dollar range. I have another car to drive so downtime isnt that important, i just have no experience at all with ohc (i put a belt and water pump on an ex's elantra, lol) im not scared to try it, id just rather leave it to someone that can do it quicker and without worring. if its out of budget, then i guess ill balls up and do it. and i say $600 was a bit steep because this is my DD, not my play toy. im just bored with the power (or lack of) in the 00 now. Ive done a couple cam swaps before, just never on a SOHC, my main worry is getting the timing chain and everything right. the cam itself is basically unbolt and bolt, correct?
What performance parts do you have on the car now? You will not see the full potential of the cams on a basically stock car. A buddy of mine put Cushman/VT Stage 2 cams on his 01 GT which has all bolt ons except for longtube headers (he still has the stock shorties). He dynoed 276/290. My car with full bolt ons dynoed 271/303. Since my car has longtubes, the car would respond better to the cams.

·
Registered
492 Posts
what about intake manifolds are they really necessary for the cams to get their full potential

·
Registered
745 Posts
ok has anyone had anyone ever had any problems with the hi-techs
Too soon to tell. Their cams just took off last year. There are probably no more than 10 cars with their Stage 2 cams right now. So far I have heard all positive.

·
Registered
492 Posts
ok i went to their site and the cams sound great.

·
Registered
745 Posts
what about intake manifolds are they really necessary for the cams to get their full potential
I would say so. Most of the hp/tq numbers you see are gains on cars with full bolt ons. Now we're not talking huge power differences, but a car with longtubes will respond better to an addition of cams than a car without longtubes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts